PDA

View Full Version : Battleship.....

Mr Mystery
01-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party, but just watched this film.

And do you know, whilst it's far from cinematic perfection, and has hardly revolutionised it's genre, it is a fantastically silly, and hugely enjoyable romp!

As a nut for celluloid Naval action, this has me well satisfied!

I'd recommend renting it at the very least!

Wolfshade
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
I had heard that it was an abomination...

FireHazard
01-30-2013, 05:50 PM

It is.

But it's an entertaining abomination :)

Mr Mystery
01-31-2013, 03:01 AM

Nowhere near as bad as people make out. It's not high end, tension riddled cinema heaven, but then there is nothing fundamentally flawed with it.

It's like an Independence Day, but without the 'AMURICA FURK YEAH' squirm
Inducing speeches.

I can say it's perhaps not necessarily a keeper, but do see it if you can.

alshrive
01-31-2013, 03:10 AM
it is an acceptable film that is pretty easy watching. It is the kind of movie that reqires minimal attention to follow, a thoroughly enjoyable sci-fi movie on par with District 9 in my opinion.

Mr Mystery
01-31-2013, 03:21 AM
And Naval tactics used are also pleasing, and as far as I know plausible, which is a massive plus.

alshrive
01-31-2013, 03:30 AM
while we are discussing films, i would heartily recommend Pandorum to anybody who enjoys the Interstellar Horror genre....

Wolfshade
01-31-2013, 03:35 AM
I'll wait for it to be shown on ITV3...

alshrive
01-31-2013, 03:39 AM
It's Dennis Quaid on a ship of Cannibals (who remind me of Firefly's Reavers!), it is brilliantly done and it is such a shame that at the box office it sort of just flopped around like a Magikarp!

sneakyben
01-31-2013, 05:04 AM
I enjoyed both battleship and pandorum (which I found randomly searching through netflix)

I thought the aliens in Battleship were pretty cool too... power-armoured and human-like but with strange hands
(but then again I thought the aliens in Battle:L os Angeles were cool too)

I wish they would focus more on the aliens in this sort of thing :-)

Mr Mystery
01-31-2013, 06:46 AM
I dunno man.

I like not having their motivations questioned. It makes it a completely different kind of film.

Oh, and having referred to Independance Day, I'm happy to report there is no 'good lord, our tech is compatible with their's!' moments to stretch credulity.