PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about basing?

entendre_entendre
10-26-2009, 11:38 PM
i was looking at my chaos marines and noticed something. i have not based most of my models. i mean i've occasionally stuck some bitz on the base and painted the rim, but no sand/flock/static grass, etc. upon further analysis of a reason for this i came upon a simple fact: i don't like basing.
i mean i don't mind if the sand's on there. i don't mind painting it either. i just don't like gluing it on there. i mean i've told myself countless times to remind myself to put the sand on the base before i prime, but every time i just spray away, only when i'm done spraying i've realized what i forgot to do. it's as if i'm subliminally willing myself not to do it. the problem is that i don't like the way the blank base looks, so every time i tell myself to put the sand on first... you get the idea. i was just wondering if anyone else felt the way i did, and if there were some way to get over my base-a-phobia without buying pre-made bases for $$$$$$$.

So, post your feelings on basing, and how much you actually enjoy it.
(this was going to be a poll, but i can't seem to figure out how to set up the options for the choices >.< but hey, i'm new to this forum thing)

E.E.

rkiviman
10-26-2009, 11:47 PM
It does help enhance the appearance of the model. Makes it more realistic and brings out the pose of the figure. It is a pain though, but can be well worth the effort.

SandWyrm
10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
You don't have to paint sand at all. Just mix up a nice batch of model railroad grass and store it in a small food container. When a mini is done, squirt some white glue onto the top of the base, smear it around with a toothpick so it covers evenly, and then put the model in the "grass" up to it's knees for 2-3 minutes. Shake off the extra and let dry.

It's not hard or especially time consuming at all.

And I actually love finishing off bases. It's relaxing and really makes the model pop.

jcroxford
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
I prefer painted/highlighted sand with some static grass, but like Sandwyrm said, you can get a nice looking base without painting, or spending too much time on the base. I used to just paint the base graveyard earth, put some pva glue then dip in sand. Add a little static grass. Perfectly simple nice looking base. Here's an example. All my eldar were done this way...

http://transmutationinc.blogspot.com/2009/09/more-pics-of-my-eldar.html

even the addition of a little time to base, I think makes the mini stand out way more then a plain flat base.

Chuck Norris
10-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Personally I love basing I too think it brings out that little extra in the mini. As I have posted befoe I have the spectrehobbies and terrainforge basing kits and they help out a ton. I am not plugging just giving my honest opinon.

Cryl
10-27-2009, 03:31 AM
I do the bases after I've painted the model... just use an old drybrush to paint some thin PVA on the base, dip it into a bag of sand then once dry paint and stick some grass / bushes / stones etc on for effect.

I used to hate basing but it really make such a massive difference to the look of the model. Average painted stuff ends up looking pretty sweet, especially when in groups and the detailing you can put on larger bases (IG weapon teams, dreads, WotR movement trays etc) really makes a set of models look like an army imo.

Aldramelech
10-27-2009, 05:46 AM
I do the bases after I've painted the model... just use an old drybrush to paint some thin PVA on the base, dip it into a bag of sand then once dry paint and stick some grass / bushes / stones etc on for effect.

I used to hate basing but it really make such a massive difference to the look of the model. Average painted stuff ends up looking pretty sweet, especially when in groups and the detailing you can put on larger bases (IG weapon teams, dreads, WotR movement trays etc) really makes a set of models look like an army imo.

100% agreement from me.

It does make all the difference. I never used to enjoy it but as time goes by I find myself devoting more and more time to it. I am becoming more adventurous with my basing and I'm enjoying it a lot more as a consequence.

Rapture
10-27-2009, 06:49 AM
I have a real problem with basing. The worst is when people do those Pride Rock bases with the model doubling its height on some silly rock. They are always cocked at some weird angle that throws off the original sculpt.

I like the way a nice basic flock looks when applied to an entire force, but have you ever seen models with green grass bases walking through ruins? Or how about snow bases on a board designed to look like sand? It looks absolutely terrible.

I'm not sure if I will do some flock or just leave mine black.

PostWarFolk
10-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Basing brings the model all together if done right, and its not too hard to do. I try to make mine the same as the board I play on the most. I make a lot of terrain so maybe that's why I like to spend time on creating nice looking bases.

MarshalAdamar
10-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I love the way based models looked but some times it’s distracting. Such as when my frosty snow covered Space wolves face off against the desert based necrons in the ultimate battle for control of the jungle planet. ???

WTF ensues.

So they look great but some times they just look silly on a board that is different from the base or squaring off against an army with radically different bases

B_Steele
10-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I think basing completes any model. Now, I do hate big, huge and overwhelming scenic bases; but some kind of finishing touch is needed.

the one
10-28-2009, 09:48 AM
I to have hated basing, but when I painted the baneblade tank commander I thought "Hmmm, since I'm not gonna use this guy I'll try doing some basing." Never looked back. Most of my guard were already painted without being based but I went back and painstakeingly did them all. Now I've done all my imperial model on the same type base, so when I do use them toghther they look like one army, even though they all have diffrent colour schemes etc.

Silver
10-28-2009, 04:27 PM
hi,
personally, i hated painting the bases, the lack of detail was so boring to paint that i decided to work around it.
for my dark eldar, i actually chose the base b 4 the colour scheme xD.
i went with an ice base so i didnt have to worry about painting it. i went to a hobby shop and got this white snow paste thing. did whole army like that. its quick to do and binds the army.

for my Imperial guard, im planning on using fly screen for an urban feel. of course on the more prominent models ill jazz it up a bit, but basically thats going to be my common base (133 guardsmen is going to be a challenge). just needs drybrushing afterwards. of course there may be complications with the material but ill work around that when the time comes.

- Silver