PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the Triarch Stalker

ElectricPaladin
01-29-2013, 03:21 PM
My buddy is really keyed to bring his Triarch Stalker to game tonight, where we plan to play a few small (750) games to help him get used to 6th Edition. I don't know if he'll be able to cram it into the points value, but if he does, I'd like to at least put up a fight with my pitiful Eldar and their ancient codex. I also know absolutely nothing about the Triarch Stalker.

What can you tell me about the Stalker, its capabilities, and weaknesses? Most of all, how do I kill it before it kills me?

Thanks in advance.

Kyban
01-29-2013, 03:29 PM
It's pretty tough, 13 on the front and sides, 11 on the back. It only has one weapon and has no ap in cc. At such low pt values he'll probably run the base gun which fires as a 2 shot multi-melta or heavy flamer but it can also take a twin-linked lascannon or s7 ap4 5" blast. It also makes everything else that fires at what it hit that turn twin-linked. You're best shot is probably to use blances, once it takes a pen the armor drops to 11 all around and it's open-topped. It's probably a good idea to stay out of range if you can, 24" on two of the weapons 36" on the "lascannon".

That's basically everything, it's a pretty tough target for Eldar, let us know how it goes.

monkiman
01-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Two words - Fire Dragons

Looking at your "Two Eldar Lists, 750, vs. Necrons" thread, I don't think you're getting enough brightlances (just the 1) in 750 points to do the job. Neither is it very effective (on a BS 3 platform) or points effective. Current Eldar are overcosted enough than in a small list you need to trim some of the fat. Do you really need 2 powers and stones? Conceal warlock (40 pts) on a 10 man squad makes those guardians cost like Dire Avengers...

eldargal
01-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Kill it with Fire Dragons.

spaceman91
01-30-2013, 04:25 AM
You could try raining haywire death on it. i only just killed one of these things with my SM in a game i played. the bloke had three of them, not nice.

DrLove42
01-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Cos nothing screams antiquated codex like "just throw expensive suicide squads at things"

isotope99
01-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Avatar :eek:. Immune to melta and dead killy. Prioritise any tesla destructor toting targets and smash. Also good for routing infantry squads. One might consider the Avatar in a 750pts game a little extreme but:
a) the stalker is comparatively costed
b) Eldar need all the help they can get

eldargal
01-30-2013, 07:36 AM
I hadn't thought of that... On the charge you would get 3 S10 Ap2 Smash attacks, plus you can throw the Squealing Doom at it before you assault for an extra S8 AP1 hit. Otherwise 5 S6 attacks against AV11 which averages only around 1HP/round I think.

Dave Mcturk
02-02-2013, 07:52 AM
squealing doom ... pmsl

Mr Mystery
02-02-2013, 10:32 AM
To be honest, all you really need do is blow off it's gun, the rig itself can then wait!

eldargal
02-03-2013, 01:01 AM
If you happen to be playing Dark Eldar, I recommend wyches. A squad of ten with haywire grenades should be able to kill one in a single assault phase.

Houghten
02-03-2013, 02:27 AM
Quantum shields mean little to bright lances.

Xenith
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Quantum shields mean little to bright lances.

Still means it's AV12 instead of 11.

The problem is the standard AV13 is too much for mass scatter laser to deal with. You'll need to dedicate dragons, or a dude with wraithsword to go after it.

Running straight at it with a wraithlord is probably the best bet. The real danger of it is the twin linking.

In low pts, the stalker will likely be the only high S low AP fire he has, which means it will be shooting the wraithlord. If he is shooting the wraithlord, the potential twin linked gauss shots are totally wasted. He might get lucky with Tesla, though :/

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Still means it's AV12 instead of 11.

The problem is the standard AV13 is too much for mass scatter laser to deal with. You'll need to dedicate dragons, or a dude with wraithsword to go after it.

Running straight at it with a wraithlord is probably the best bet. The real danger of it is the twin linking.

In low pts, the stalker will likely be the only high S low AP fire he has, which means it will be shooting the wraithlord. If he is shooting the wraithlord, the potential twin linked gauss shots are totally wasted. He might get lucky with Tesla, though :/

And it's the Tesla you'd have to watch for. Only takes a couple of jammy rolls and that's one dead Wraithlord.

Like I said though, you don't need to destroy the Stalker, just defunction it's gun to the point it's non-defunctionable! (special prize for anyone who can spot which sweary defunctionable is representing!). It's capable of precisely sod all once that's done.

Pendragon38
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I killed on with my TFCs tremor shot as it tried to assault my SM squad only because he forgot that if you move you treat it as dangerous terrain

Panxer
02-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Don't play against necrons, they're worse than Nurgle. You kill them and they keep getting up. But barring that scenario, anything with the melta rule, get up close and destroy them fast, quick, and in a hurry. They make everything they hit with that thing twin linked. It's like the tau marker light only WAY more powerful. Glance it to death or kill it outright. Now.