PDA

View Full Version : New Necron Army

pnkfld7892
01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Hey guys,

I'm starting up a Necron army as my secondary play. So far i have what came in the old Battleforce: 28x Warriors, 7x Scarab bases, 3x Destroyers.

I also have 5x Deathmarks and Immortals, a Monolith, and a GA/DA that I'm magnetizing so I can use it as either :D.

Suggestions on what to add? I mostly play 1000-1500 point games, but like having a lot of models to be able to switch up my rosters.

Deadlift
01-29-2013, 03:30 PM
You can't go wrong with Wraiths as your close combat unit, 3 is ok but 5 or 6 is better and if you run a Destroyer lord with them they can become very nasty indeed. You could also look at Night Scythes as transports. These are very cool and cheap for the points. Be warned you will get grief if you build a Necron airforce. Heavy support everyone seems to like Annilation Barges, but I prefer my Doomsday Arks, with the changes to templates I field 2 of them.
You really can't go wrong with the Necron codex, just don't bother with flayed ones though.
An Overlord with Mind Shackle Scarabs, Warscythe on a catacomb barge is good too.

I really like the Necron codex because there aren't really any bad choices, well except flayed ones, did I mention I don't like them ;)

Oh and welcome to the forums.

pnkfld7892
01-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the info Deadlift

Why would I get grief for the air force? Only one other player in our group has 'crons and he's building his army as well, so I have no context for this. I'm definitely going to get some Wraiths, in fact I'm bidding on some on eBay XD. If this magnetizing project works, I will likely get 2 more GA/DA kits and do the same. One can never have too much Dakka >:D.

Deadlift
01-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Well Necron Night Scythes have some nifty rules, one is that if they are destroyed the passengers go into reserves and don't suffer in the explosion. They are only 100 pts and have a powerful gun for a troop transport. "Cron air" lists usually consist of units of 5 warriors zooming around the board or on and off it in as many Night Scythes as possible causing mayhem and then grabbing objectives at the end. Lots of other units can use them as transports besides troops too, hell even tomb blades can.

Ctan are still quite useful too, and quite a potent choice, but Wraiths I think at this point in your army are an excellent choice.

pnkfld7892
01-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Ok, now I can see where that can become a bit cheesy; especially if you drop your warriors off, let them get beat up in a fight, recoup some with reanimation, pick them back up and then drop them off at a GA. Although that seems a little farfetched and time consuming it seems theoretically possible :rolleyes:.