PDA

View Full Version : Tau Redux / Rumours - what will be new.

Phototoxin
01-28-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm thinking of starting tau but I don't know what if any models will be redone/recut. My guess is that firewarriors will as they have hideous mold lines, suits as they will make GW a tonne of money. I suspect that the majority of vehicles won't

Does anyone have more 'solid' rumours of what will/will not be remade?

Dalleron
01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
Well, I don't know anything about what's coming from Tau whenever they eventually arrive, but I think there are some safe bets.

One, fire warriors will be troops, and you'll need troops to play the army. So maybe you can get them now before they're new and cost more.

Two, suits will be good. Again, get them now before they go up in $$. I doubt they're rules will change drastically. I personally don't mind the suits as they are, but thats me.

ElectricPaladin
01-29-2013, 12:59 AM
My general rule for buying into armies with old codices is this: if I like the model, I'll buy it. If I don't, I'll hold off. End of story. If you like the fire warriors as they are, buy 'em. Mold lines are easy to fix. If you think that fire warriors are hideous, then wait and see what happens with the new codex.

That said, you should also consider the age and general modernity of the sculpt. Fire warriors, for example, are a pretty modern line. Compare them to, say, Dark Eldar flying-chicks-can't-recall-their-names. Fire warriors are adaptable kits with multiple head options, leg options, and gun-position options. They might be remastered - and heck, they might be resculpted - but they aren't as likely as, say vespides. Vespids are clunky, identical, and made of metal. Unless you really like the vespides-that-are, I'd avoid them.

As far as battlesuits, there's indications that they will get a resculpt. If the Tau-models-are-finished theory turns out to hold water - and I've seen photos that indicate that it's got some potential truthiness - then the new battlesuits will be much better looking. I'd avoid buying more battlesuits.

Wildeybeast
01-29-2013, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't place any bets on fire warriors being redone. GW has shown little inclination to redo existing plastic troops boxes in either 40k or Warhammer over the last couple of years. There has been a clear trend towards converting metal/finecast units into plastic and doing big new shiny kits and I see no reason why Tau would not stick to this trend as well. So I'd expect a plastic box of Pathfinders, sniper teams and an all plastic broadside suit alongside some new stuff. From a financial POV, that would make far more sense than redoing Firewarriors or the Crisis and Stealth suits.

Deadlift
01-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I would think that anything in the tau starter set would be a safe bet, unless you don't like kroot.

Charistoph
01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Technically, any plastic kit from the 3rd Ed codex is fair game. That would include Fire Warriors, XV8, XV88, Kroot, Devilfish, and Hammerhead.

What ACTUALLY gets replaced and when will largely be up to the artists, production times, and blokes in charge of sales. The artists first have to design them, and then they have to be built. If Tau are actually due in a few months for release, then what will be coming out is already in warehouses, with the supporting stock being built.

The real questions are, will there be enough new/redone kits coming out that they will release some kits early, like they have been recently with Warriors, Daemons, etc, or will they be limited to just a few new kits when the codex comes out and leaving any redone kits to later waves.

Psychosplodge
01-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Leaked Shas'O kit

http://24.media.tumblr.com/cd6171f04c41e09d4afadc72923dbbee/tumblr_mhds7vfZGp1qhxtiio1_500.jpg

White Tiger88
01-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Leaked Shas'O kit

http://24.media.tumblr.com/cd6171f04c41e09d4afadc72923dbbee/tumblr_mhds7vfZGp1qhxtiio1_500.jpg

I want one...I want one right now. I prefer the Shas'O 3 though over Shas'O 2 you pictured.

Psychosplodge
01-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Yeah the 3 head is supposed to be a lot better.

DrLove42
01-30-2013, 04:04 AM
I was always a big fan of http://www.gunjap.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/5336.jpg

As for Tau, i think Kroot are unlikely to be redone, and buy some suits, just magnetise weapons ahead of any potential new weapons/changes in the book

ElectricPaladin
01-30-2013, 08:48 AM
As for Tau, i think Kroot are unlikely to be redone, and buy some suits, just magnetise weapons ahead of any potential new weapons/changes in the book

Magnetize the weapons anyway. It's stupidly easy, once you get the hang of it.

Phototoxin
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Leaked Shas'O kit

Oppan Gundam Style...

Charistoph
01-30-2013, 11:23 PM
I want one...I want one right now. I prefer the Shas'O 3 though over Shas'O 2 you pictured.

Yeah the 3 head is supposed to be a lot better.

The 3 also had a whip and a super destroyer gun that blew up an asteroid base.

That picture REALLY gets me to want to finish my Gue'nam Wing codex...

ksoh75
01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
You realize this is just a ploy to keep us Tau fans interested....I say we see them at the end of the year if not at all this year.

Psychosplodge
01-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Dunno look at all the people dismissing DA and January...

Phototoxin
01-31-2013, 09:29 AM
My gut instinct is they will redo suits. Vehicles are too big to bother with, kroot don't need much extra unless they are going to feature more heavily, vespid/something dual kit, pathfinder/something dual kit. Not sure about fire warriors. Stealth suits don't sell well enough to warrant and had an update. Hmmm still thinking that triple battleforce is the way forward as if they get redone they'll pull the battleforces and then release one that has less stuff in it for a higher price!

Charistoph
02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
If Kroot need anything model-wise, it's this: Box kit that allows for building 10 Carnivores and 6 Hounds with bits for a Shaper. Done.

Rules-wise: Give straight up Stealth and 6+ (why not? so little doesn't bypass it), Kroot Pistol and CCW, Assault Grenades, and Evolutionary Adapatations. What they could use is teaching the dang Ox how to sneak and allowing him to have T5 again.

Rissan4ever
02-02-2013, 07:17 AM
I sincerely hope they update the Vespids. They're nice models as they are, but they need more options, and plastic would make them more affordable. Also, they need better guns. 12" Assault 1 just doesn't cut it.

Charistoph
02-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I sincerely hope they update the Vespids. They're nice models as they are, but they need more options, and plastic would make them more affordable. Also, they need better guns. 12" Assault 1 just doesn't cut it.

There are dozens of things that could be done to make Vespid useful. For my own thoughts, they need to either have a broader initial punch (more firepower/longer range), be able to follow up their shooting (Rending/Poison/Power Weapons/more Attacks), and/or better able to survive the response (Dodge Save/better Armour). In my mind, they need at least two of those to be successful.

My own thoughts would be Rending and Dodge (5++) Save would be best (and maybe a 4+ AS, hey, they're bugs that live in gas giants, and that's a lot of pressure) and they could even drop a point or two compared to how Raptors have gone.

lobster-overlord
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
As I have always loved tau, but set them aside for so long, I do agree Kroot are in need of some help. Another plastic kit for them is in order, and I could see a large scale vehicle sized monster for them coming in plastic too (can't remember the name of the FW one at the moment). As for the Fire Warrior and Kroot kits, they are very much in keeping wtht the current style of modular model build and are fantastic compared to the Catachan, which havn't been redone either.

The suit mold was always crappy in the fit department, so a redo of that model would be great, but to either include them as 3x per, or one kit with the other options as anotehr sprue (broadside/commander etc).

Vehicles would be an area I could see them getting more models as well. All they have is transport, fast attack, gun tank and missile tank. The flyer is needed, as are some other modes of heavy beat down delivery.

Official human ally units would be great as well.

John M>