PDA

View Full Version : Necron Vehicle Fire Arcs

ntompkins
01-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Hello Bols players.

I don't own Necrons but I play against them. I've been playing since RT era and I LIKE 6th edition. Some things are clearer, unfortunately GW never seems to be able to clarify all their rules at the same time.
What do I mean? well - Fire arcs for one - GW provided some lovely pictures in the new Uber big rule book on fire arcs for the Leman Russ and Predator and then some general rules.
This does not help with unusual models like the Necron Monolith. The old RAW (Rules as written) doesn't help either as no real clear description is given of where for example the Necron Particle Whip fires from.
the Eternity gate is clear enough - Hull mounted, Yes ok so that means 45 degree arc of fire and measure from the hull outwards (as you cant place a model in the doorway) OK

Gauss Flayer arrays mounted on the hull not a sponson, but they each have a 90 degree range of motion - like the Leman Russ guns - again makes sense.
Though I have seen some players stand the guns on their heads (vertical) and traverse them more than 90 degrees.

This leaves the Particle whip - one assumes the whacking great big crystal on the top of the pyramid is the gun? if so as it is not on a rotating top piece but rather shielded by what I call the focusing array of spines I would call it Hull mounted and 45 degree arc ordinance weapon.
I've seen necron players argue it is a turret (really - based on what?)
I've seen them argue that since the crystal does not have a barrel - any facing can be the front (again based on what information?)
I've seen them argue that since you can see between most of the spines the arc is 270 as only direct rear is blocked (again based on what?)

I would like to see what the readers on this forum think makes sense. I find the monolith a pretty powerful vehicle and 360 arc seems too much especially since it is clearly not modelled that way.

Annihilation barge fire Arc with various weapon types available and storage issues I am seeing lots of Magnetizing of weapons. Magnetizing also turns weapons into pintle mounted apparently for some players!

It would be nice for GW to clarify in the vehicle profile for example :

Rhino - weapons Storm bolter Pintle mount
Vindicator - Siege Cannon hull mounted, Storm bolter - pintle mount
Predator - Turret mounted main weapon plus 2 sponson mounted side weapons and optional Pintle Mount weapon.

Would make life easier.