PDA

View Full Version : Grey Knight Techmarine - Using more than 1 grenade on the charge?

Kevlarshark
01-27-2013, 01:59 PM
How many grenades can a model use as he assaults?

I have a unit of cultists defending an objective in cover. They get charged by a GK techmarine who uses frag grenades to fight similtaniously, psychotroke grenades to reduce their Ld to 2 and then Rad grenades to take their toughness down to 2. Cultists die.

I know he has extra arms but that seems like overkill, is this even possible?

Nabterayl
01-27-2013, 02:32 PM
There's no rule limiting how many grenades you can use per turn or per phase, unless you're using them as weapons (which none of those weapons were). So yeah, that's totally legal.

Kevlarshark
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Damn, I was quite prepared to say that Grey Knights were a bit less OTT in this edition. Not so much now.

Daemonette666
01-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Damn, I was quite prepared to say that Grey Knights were a bit less OTT in this edition. Not so much now.

I was just checking up on grenades page 61 BRB and both Psychotroke and Rad Grenades would come under the classification of "Unusual Grenades". Since neither the Rad or Psychotroke Grenade do not mention Monstrous Creatures specifically, they can not be used as melee weapons against Monstrous Creatures. Does this mean that the Greater daemon or Daemon Prince and Hive Tyrants would be immune to their effects, or is that only referring to using their strength and AP or rules like Haywire for Haywire Grenades.

It would be OP if they still take effect, and means models like the Techmarine become prime targets.

Forlornhope15
01-28-2013, 01:07 AM
yeah as long as you arent using a grenade that rolls to hit/wound, you can use them all

might as well be just another special piece of wargear for GK, thanks ward!

Kevlarshark
01-28-2013, 07:35 AM
yeah as long as you arent using a grenade that rolls to hit/wound, you can use them all

might as well be just another special piece of wargear for GK, thanks ward!

Perhaps they will faq this as it is blatantly silly. Especially when combined with the +1 strength psy power.

DarkLink
01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Why's it silly? What's the point of giving them options and then deciding they're not allowed to use those options. GKs rely on force multipliers. Without force multipliers, GKs are just expensive Marines, and even with those force multipliers they still die like Marines. Just shoot them to death, and hit them only with assault units that stand a chance. Especially now that assault has been nerfed, if you're losing games because you're losing to GKs in assault you need to fundamentally rethink your approach to the game.

Aegwymourn
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Why's it silly? What's the point of giving them options and then deciding they're not allowed to use those options. GKs rely on force multipliers. Without force multipliers, GKs are just expensive Marines, and even with those force multipliers they still die like Marines. Just shoot them to death, and hit them only with assault units that stand a chance. Especially now that assault has been nerfed, if you're losing games because you're losing to GKs in assault you need to fundamentally rethink your approach to the game.

I have to agree with Darklink. How many turns did you watch that techmarine run at you before thinking he might be a threat? Is it a nasty surprise that he is able to use those abilities, sure. Then again so is Fateweaver. Each army has some wicked stuff it can do. Playing Tau I am really not a fan of Vulkan drop podding in with his buddies and their re-rolling barbecue flamers and watching my Fire warriors go poof. Learn from it and become a better player. (this is not me being sarcastic, honestly the only way we become better is by challenging ourselves)

Kevlarshark
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM

Its silly because he has thrown more grenades than he has hands to throw them with! I did not say I was losing games to GK (although that may have been implied when I said my cultists got hammered by a GK techmarine). When I have a situation where a model is using 3 types of grenade in the same phase and they completely skew the combat to the point where it feels 'unfair' there is nothing wrong hoping that it will be FAQed.
Lots of units have options that they can only use in certain situations or have to choose between. I could give my chaos Lord a bolt gun and a plasma pistol, but he couldn't use both in the same shooting phase. By your logic he should be able to use both, instead he has to choose which will work best tactically in each situation.

Tynskel
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Then kill the techmarine...

bfmusashi
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
The super augmented space ape with the flowerpot armor and extra robot arms is silly because he threw three grenades? Also, he has six arms, four of which end in manipulators.

Kevlarshark
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Learn from it and become a better player. (this is not me being sarcastic, honestly the only way we become better is by challenging ourselves)

That is why I was asking if it was possible. So I could be prepared for the next time. It felt very much like cheating, so I struggled to believe it wasn't.

DarkLink
01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
By your logic he should be able to use both, instead he has to choose which will work best tactically in each situation.

My logic is that the rules let you do it. In-game, that's the only logic there is. The rules for grenades make no sense real-world anyways, nor do most of 40k's rules in general.