PDA

View Full Version : Walkers and Gun Emplacements

Lord Krungharr
01-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I was reading the Gun Emplacement rules and looking at my Dreadnoughts, and was wondering can I man the Quad Gun or Icarus Cannon with a Walker. It just says 'a model in base contact'. Nothing in the FAQ addresses that either that I found and I looked over it twice. Any thoughts about that?
Cuz that would be COOL!

Nabterayl
01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
As discussed here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?28565-discussion-on-another-website-posed-this-queston-can-vehicles-or-walkers-man-a-quad) and more recently here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?28910-IG-Hydra-amp-Ageis-Defence-Line-Quad-gun), yes. Strictly speaking, it appears that a Rhino can man a gun emplacement. Your incredulity mileage may vary, but you're quite right that it says "model," and vehicles are models.

Caitsidhe
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
I suspect we just have to assume that the Rhino jacks into the quad gun and some guy in the Rhino is firing it with his normal controls for the Bolter on top. :) It is within the realm of feasibility, although I don't think it would be worth having to explain it and hash out the rules at a tournament to do.

Chris Copeland
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
No. It would not. It would be overly rules-lawyerly and not the kind of thing that would advance your getting more games with your pals in the future. Cheers.

Edit: the above is my OPINION and it should be perfectly clear that it is just that... cheers...

Nabterayl
01-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Eh, I think we're all capable of knowing our pals well enough to know what they'd consider overly rules-lawyerly. I haven't run this by them, but my pals are likely to say no to most vehicles but yes to walkers, on the theory that if a dreadknight or daemon prince can fire a gun emplacement then so can a dreadnought. If your pals are different, good for them. I'm sure Krungharr is better situated than either of us to know what his pals are like.

Chris Copeland
01-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Sure. Carry on. Good gaming to all...

JMichael
01-25-2013, 07:15 PM
I never even considered this. But the more I think about it the more I'm okay with a vehicle or walker using the emplacement.
It also means that that unit is stationary and one may certainly use that to their advantage.
Who are we to judge their tech. Just as unlikely that an Eldar or Bloodletter would understand how to operate Imperial tech.

Jenn
01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Although it's in a black library book and therefore not canon there is an example of something along these lines in the book 'Cain's Last Stand' in which Magos Tayber sets up a chimera with a targeting relay allowing it to link up with other turrets and use it's targeting information in order to fire them together as an anti-air unit. While not specifically the same thing, it is an example where the Imperium does have the technology to do so with a vehicle.

Also, another fluff interpretation could be the crew of the vehicle in question hopping out and manning the gun.. Although probably not in the case of a dreadnought.