PDA

View Full Version : SW with DA allies - 1999pts

wellweee
01-25-2013, 04:59 AM
So a local tournament is coming up. Normally I would just run my Space Wolves, but I've recently start a DA army, so thought it might be fun to combine the two.

Primary Detachment - SW

HQ

Rune Priest (Divinations) w/ Runic Armour, Master of Runes, Wolftooth Necklace and Plasma Pistol - 195pts

Troops

10 Grey Hunters w/ Mark of the Wulfen and 2x Plasma Guns - 175pts

10 Grey Hunters w/ Mark of the Wulfen and 2x Plasma Guns - 175pts

10 Grey Hunters w/ Mark of the Wulfen and 2x Flamers - 165pts

5 Grey Hunters W/ Plasma Gun - 85pts

Elites

3 Wolf Guard w/ 1 In Terminator Armour w/PF, 2 with Power Axes - 99pts

5 Wolf Scouts w/ Melta Gun - 85pts

Heavy Support

6 Long Fangs w/ 5 Missile Launchers - 130pts

Ally Detachment

HQ

Ezekiel (Divinations) - 145pts

Techmarine w/ Auspex and Power Field Generator - 85pts

Troops

10 Tactical Marines w/ Meltagun - 150pts

10 Tactical Marines w/ Meltagun - 150pts

Elites

Deathwing Knights - 235pts

Heavy Support

Predator w/ Lascannon Sponsons and extra armour - 125pts

Total - 1999pts

Battle Plan

I have two rough battle plans, depending on the situation/ opponent. The first is the simplest. I form the 2 tact squad and 3 full strength GH squads (with the attached characters/WG) into a spear, aimed at the main objective/ area I really can't let the enemy have. Between the number of bodies, Divination powers and the power field generator I should be able to reach the area, clear it of enemies and then hold it. The second is if their is more then one objective that needs taking. In that case the two detachments split. The Tact Squads go after one (probably the one which is closer), while the GH go for another.

The Deathwing and scouts are there for two things. Firstly, and how I use them mostly, they cause distractions and break up my opponents battle plan. The Knights can also be used in the reverse, reacting to the enemy and intercepting dangerous units. The rest of the force sits back and provides some covering fire for the other elements. The Techmarine's Bolster Defenses really helps keep them alive.

What do you guys think? Would I be better off swapping the Knights for normal deathwing?

glottis
01-25-2013, 05:47 AM
I'm just thinking out loud rather than making a concrete suggestion, but what about combining a Darkshroud with your techmarine's bolster power - you could then sit the Long Fangs in a ruin with a 2+ invulnerable save...

glottis
01-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Also - an unrelated thought - is that pred not a little vulnerable at the moment? It's your only mech and for a few more points you could get a Dark Talon (which is at least harder to hit) and use it to soften stuff up for your Knights or Hunters.

wellweee
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Sadly the Darkshroud would be useless for the long fangs, as the rule only affects friendly models, and according to the allies of convenience rule, the two detachments treat each other as enemy units that cannot be targeted, not friendly.

Yes the Predator is vulnerable, but hopefully Front Armour 13, combined with the fact it'll stay back in cover the majority of the time, will keep it alive. I'd rather not take the Talon, as the Pred is their to take out tanks, not infantry, which the Talon isn't as good at (being only S7). Plus I have one of the older models (2nd ed I think), and it looks too good not to use.

glottis
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Sadly the Darkshroud would be useless for the long fangs, as the rule only affects friendly models, and according to the allies of convenience rule, the two detachments treat each other as enemy units that cannot be targeted, not friendly.

Ah, right you are. I thought because it said 'friendly units' whilst other rules say 'friendly Dark Angles units' it could to allies, but of course that would only work for battle brothers. Shame, but I guess it would be pretty cheesy to power up Long Fangs any more anyway.

Yes the Predator is vulnerable, but hopefully Front Armour 13, combined with the fact it'll stay back in cover the majority of the time, will keep it alive. I'd rather not take the Talon, as the Pred is their to take out tanks, not infantry, which the Talon isn't as good at (being only S7). Plus I have one of the older models (2nd ed I think), and it looks too good not to use.

Yes, I see the sense in that too. So long as they're hitting the front I suppose it'll be safe enough, or at least draw enough fire to make it worth the investment anyway.

glottis
01-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Ah, right you are. I thought because it said 'friendly units' whilst other rules say 'friendly Dark Angles units' it could to allies, but of course that would only work for battle brothers. Shame, but I guess it would be pretty cheesy to power up Long Fangs any more anyway.

Yes, I see the sense in that too. So long as they're hitting the front I suppose it'll be safe enough, or at least draw enough fire to make it worth the investment anyway.

WarlordEXE
02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Have you thought about shifting points around for podding the army? or at least a couple units? Cause i know its only 1/3 chance (or maybe preset at your tournament), but hamer and avil is just no fun foot slogging. Especially if you got tau as opponent or some other 48"+ spam units. In my experience those games turn into loosing your own long range really quick, then just marching forward to die (especially againts those tau). I supose the outflank scouts could be a distraction for a turn. But ya, i've just had bad experiences with either loosing my mobility fast or playing a low mobility army and getting hamer and avil (which if you havn't caugh on yet, especially againts tau lol).