PDA

View Full Version : How to Base?

ElectricPaladin
01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Here are my first finished Craftworld Il-Kaithe Eldar models. Guardians, who I'm not likely to use, but I painted them anyway, to help establish the overall color scheme.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/96809028ec49a379f16431f8ab7ef15a/tumblr_mh52at9Gd31rgb5qno1_1280.jpg

The question - other than general C&C, of course - is how to base them? What basing elements do you recommend for these shapes and colors?

For context, by the way, I'm basing the larger elements (war walkers, wraithlords, vehicles) with ruined Chaos bits; in the fluff, Il-Kaithe has a special mad-on for the forces of Chaos. Even with the larger models, though, I need to figure out the color and texture that should surround the broken chaos rhino bits, helmets, and Chaos banners about to be trodden into the dust.

Mental note: got to post a picture of that base, later.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Maybe give them a Crone World themed basing (Crone Worlds being ancient Eldar worlds in the Eye of Terror that are occupied by Chaos, but are also the only place to find new Soul Stones). So, weird daemonic basing that the Eldar are trashing - tentacles growing out of the ground that've been severed by shuriken, an Exarch stamping on an eyeball embedded in a rock etc.

ElectricPaladin
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
I love the crone world idea. I will now spend the rest of my natural life making tentacles out of greenstuff, priming them, and gluing them to bases - thanks! :D.

The other question I have, though is, what colors do you recommend to compliment the green/purple/red of Il-Kaithe? I suppose a sort of a "red Mars blasted wasteland) could call out the red and contrast the green/purple, and a blasted crimson wasteland makes sense for a crone world...

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
If you need to make -lots- of tentacles, perhaps get one of these : http://greenstuffindustries.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/tentacle-maker-saw-01-is-now-available.html I use all 3 when doing my sculpting stuff, but if your just using it for converting on models and bases the SAW-050 is prolly all you need.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
01-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I've heard very good things about the tentacle maker asymm linked to, great choice. There's even been a few notes here and there that Forgeworld might be using it a bit in their sculpting!

As for base colours, the green/purple could be complimented by a pinkish-red, or maybe a dark orange? Don't feel stuck to realistic colours, warping power of chaos and all :P