PDA

View Full Version : Rune Priest Lighting Power

MightyOrang
10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
It's S7 AP5 Assault D6 with unlimited range (ie: LOS) ... it will double out any Tau Etherals, IG Commanders, and Eldar / Dark Eldar Characters.

Yeah the AP stinks and there'll retinues and squads to work through ... but it'll work if they dice go against him.

Happy hunting.

DarkLink
10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Good luck getting past the Dark Eldar's 2+ invulnerable save, or getting through the other members of the IG commander's squad first. There are easier and more conventional ways to kill them (well, maybe not the Dark Eldar character).

Forget about instakilling weak T3 models. The power lets the psyker take out tanks. That's never a bad thing.

MightyOrang
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Good luck getting past the Dark Eldar's 2+ invulnerable save, or getting through the other members of the IG commander's squad first. There are easier and more conventional ways to kill them (well, maybe not the Dark Eldar character).

Forget about instakilling weak T3 models. The power lets the psyker take out tanks. That's never a bad thing.

Excellent point ... especially -- would it count as hitting side armor? It'd be coming from the sky ...

Katie Drake
10-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Excellent point ... especially -- would it count as hitting side armor? It'd be coming from the sky ...

No, it'd follow the normal rules for shooting at vehicles. Think of it like the Priest hurling the lightning at the tank and you won't be far off.

As for its uses, I think Living Lightning is best at picking on light vehicles. It probably won't destroy them, but can keep them nice and shaken to prevent 'em from shooting. If there's a Chooser of the Slain on the battlefield the Rune Priest can act a little bit like a mobile autocannon platform, firing out of the top of a Rhino or something.

Chumbalaya
10-24-2009, 07:29 PM
It's basically a squad of Lootas for 100 points, 110 with a Chooser. Plus more powers.

DarkLink
10-24-2009, 07:44 PM
My first though when seeing the power was 'hey, he can zap Rhinos". You can use it for other things, too, but without high AP and relatively low shots, high strength weapons are more for anti-tank than anti infantry. It gives the Priest some nice versatility

MightyOrang
10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the tip -- shot up a Falcon with it in a game i just played.

Xas
10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I love frying dreadnoughts with my sorcerer in my traitor guard army (primaris psyker) who is only s6 (but TWO d6 shots :D) so you wolvies shold be cool with s7.

MarshalAdamar
10-26-2009, 08:37 AM
I think it can be great for taking out IG IC's if the squad is small enough, a couple of rounds of shooting to go through the squad. Depends on what the D6 roll is. But being able to rock tanks on side armor cannot be over stated.

Confuddled
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Probably the best generic psychic power in the book, Living Lightning is a great support ability – gives your mandatory HQ choice something to do while the rest of your army goes about its business.

Utility varies depending on terrain, though, since it still requires LOS.

This can be problematic for a single infantry model who’s about 1.5” tall (about 2” if you’re using the Njal model) – unless you’ve got a convenient 12”-tall firing platform for the Rune Priest to deploy on (or you’re playing on a desert planet), odds are the Priest will be using Living Lightning to target units that he can hit rather than the targets that he’d LIKE to hit.

Kaney
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Dont forget saga of the beast slayer for all those walkers and MCs.

pchappel
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Wow, that's a good idea on the Beastslayer Saga.... I have to admit I've playing my Rune Priest with this power and I think it's pretty much the only one I use constantly... Gives me a "heavy weapon" for my HQ, and I usually tag things like Rhinos, hoping for at least the shaken/stunned result...