PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help/comments on my Imp Guard 750 List

Stiff Neck Studio
10-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Here the list I plan on taking to a tournament this Saturday. We will be playing 5 rounds. Any criticism good or bad is welcome.

Marbo

CO HQ
CO Close combat weapon, pistol
4 Vets
3 with Plasma guns

Riding in Chimera
Multi Laser
Heavy Bolter

Vet SQuad x 10
3 Meltas

Riding in Valkery
Rocket Pods, Multi-laser

Vet Squad x10
2 Flamers
Riding in Chimera
Heavy Bolter, Multi-Laser

Leman Russ
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Total 750

Old_Paladin
10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure where you could get the points, but try to fit a medic into the Command squad. Feel No Pain is worth it when you start rolling overheating on the plasma guns.

Stiff Neck Studio
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah I originally had him in there but he is 30 points and that is alot for only a 750 point game. I figured I would just leave it up to the dice to keep them alive :) They are really only there to act as a counter assualt unit so they can move in and rapid fire something to death wich I willprobably only get to do once.

ggg
10-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Good solid mech guard. Amazing what 750 gets you. Only comments are fiddling about and pesonal preference. Are you tempted to drop one plasma gun for a grenade launcher and stick an auto cannon in one vet squad? If you could afford the medic then I would be more into the plasma death squad goodness - can take down almost anything - otherwise I'm too cautious. Of course, I see that your dudes are kitted out for quite aggressive special weaps and the ranged weapons on the vehicles.

Stiff Neck Studio
10-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I just posted a photo of the army up in the painting section of the forum for those of you interested.

PostWarFolk
10-22-2009, 09:43 PM
It looks solid. Post your results if all gos well.

SandWyrm
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not sure where you could get the points, but try to fit a medic into the Command squad. Feel No Pain is worth it when you start rolling overheating on the plasma guns.

Uh, no it isn't. FNP costs 30 pts. That's the same as 2 plasma guns. How many times have you lost more than 2 plasma guns to overheating in a game? How many times have you needed to fire plasma more than twice in a game?

I thought so. Leave the medic at home unless you're playing an HQ-Killing Scenario.

SandWyrm
10-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Here the list I plan on taking to a tournament this Saturday. We will be playing 5 rounds. Any criticism good or bad is welcome.

Ok, here's my competitive advice:

1) Swap the Heavy Bolters on the Chimeras for Heavy Flamers. You can only fire one weapon on the move, so use the Multi-Laser at range and the Hflamer/meltas up close.

2) Lose the sponsons on your Russ. They'll encourage you to stay still when you should be moving to get better shots and frustrate assault troops in close combat.

3) Use the points you'll save on the sponsons to give the Valk-Vets meltas. That'll mesh better with the Valk's anti-infantry abilities. You drop off the squad to kill tanks and then hammer the surviving infantry with the MRPs on the Valk. Or, conversely, you would take a Vendetta to kill tanks and flamer vets to mop up with.

Old_Paladin
10-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Uh, no it isn't. FNP costs 30 pts. That's the same as 2 plasma guns. How many times have you lost more than 2 plasma guns to overheating in a game? How many times have you needed to fire plasma more than twice in a game?
I thought so. Leave the medic at home unless you're playing an HQ-Killing Scenario.

Sometimes 'worth' means more then just points. It's worth it to keep every gun firing as long as possible in such a small game. It's the only unit in his army that can hose-down termie and MC's really well. Realistically, he's probably going to be taking a wound everyother turn (and every turn in rapid fire range).
Also, it's more then just overheats. That chimera is going to be nuked, it's going to happen. If the whole unit takes the strength 4 hit, a medic will save half of them.

And really? IG in flak with plasma? You must be using them pretty poorly if they AREN'T putting out enough shots to die from overheat. Yeah, that's what I thought! Guard overheat so often, I seen people that make overheating fatality models.

SandWyrm
10-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Sometimes 'worth' means more then just points. It's worth it to keep every gun firing as long as possible in such a small game.

Yes, and it's even more worth it to take as many weapons as possible in a small game.

Let's consider what you're potentially giving up to take that medic:

1) 2 Plasma Guns
2) 3 Meltas
3) 2 Russ Lascannons
4) Demo charge on a Vet Squad
5) 6 Grenade Launchers
6) 3 Squad Autocannons
7) 2 Squad Missile Launchers
8) An Astropath
9) A Fleet Officer
10) A Master of Ordinance
11) Extra Armor for 2 Chimeras
12) Rough Terrain Mods for 3 Vehicles
13) Upgrade from a Valk to a Vendetta

And lastly, for just 2 more points, you could take an Inquisitor w/2 Mystics that would allow you to take a free shot with a Russ or other unit at any nearby Deep Strikers, such as Termies.

[QUOTE=Old_Paladin;28985]It's the only unit in his army that can hose-down termie and MC's really well.

No, if he takes my advice he's also got another Vet Squad with Meltas to help out. Not to mention the Russ or a slew of double-tapped lasguns. Sometimes it's better to make Termies roll more dice than to reduce his save on a few dice.

Realistically, he's probably going to be taking a wound everyother turn (and every turn in rapid fire range).

Which is why it makes even less sense to waste the points on a Medic. You won't lose enough plasma gunners for his points to be worth it.

Also, it's more then just overheats. That chimera is going to be nuked, it's going to happen. If the whole unit takes the strength 4 hit, a medic will save half of them.

So the medic saves them for what? To fall to the first bolter/lasgun barrage or Ork charge? Once the transport is popped, the unit is toast one way or another. So unless you're playing a Kill-The-HQ mission, I just don't see the point.

And really? IG in flak with plasma? You must be using them pretty poorly if they AREN'T putting out enough shots to die from overheat. Yeah, that's what I thought! Guard overheat so often, I seen people that make overheating fatality models.

I usually take one unit of Plasma Vets in a Chimera for backfield duty. Their job is to hold the home objective and hose down any Termies or other nasties that come their way. In a typical game I'll get to shoot them twice and lose 2 models total to "Gets hot!". When I used to run Vet gunlines with Lascannon/Plasma, the numbers were pretty much the same. Two rounds of shooting with 1-2 dead from GH!.

Guard may overheat often, but a Medic still isn't worth more than 15 points for what he does in 95% of games.