PDA

View Full Version : GW Half year results out:

Denzark
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
http://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Half-year-press-statement.pdf

Normally, some of the naysayers will post this, and try and say GW business model is failing and they'll be banging out heavy warjacks in Lenton before March. Unless of course everyone's codex gets a free update every hour, and prices are slashed by a factor of five.

This year, nothing. Will somebody please have a look and with their cunning business skills, tell us what it means?

Denzark
01-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Ha I've had a look and everywhere money is up, including Australia - get on cobbers you know you love it.

Tynskel
01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Looks like they are incrementally better than the year before.

Mr Mystery
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Looking pretty good!

And even better when you consider the state of the British high street.

Wildeybeast
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Looking pretty good!

And even better when you consider the state of the British high street.

I'm pretty sure nerd hobbies are recession proof. Nerds always have money to spend because we lack social lives, girlfriends, gym memberships etc ;)

Mr Mystery
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
One could similarly infer as nerds are often noted for their booksmarts, we tend to have better paid jobs!

Wildeybeast
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
True dat. Society shuns us, but we are the glue that holds them together.

spaceman91
01-18-2013, 01:48 PM
I'm pretty sure nerd hobbies are recession proof. Nerds always have money to spend because we lack social lives, girlfriends, gym memberships etc ;)

I resemble that remark.

Cap'nSmurfs
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
"Incrementally better than the year before" isn't spectacular (but it is essential, and it's what they've been working on delivering - sustainable growth), and I'm sure someone out there will arrive and say it's "disappointing" and they should be doing better, but given how many major UK retail businesses have gone down the tubes very recently, I think they're doing pretty well.

Blusox69
01-18-2013, 02:20 PM
7.6% increase in revenue is fairly good, but a 16% increase in pre tax profits is very good. So GW seem to be doing well. However seeing as the CEO has just left with the usual "best of luck" from the board, I'd say the people thinking they could have done better were on the board.

Mr Mystery
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Not necessarily....

Mark Wells was arguably brought in to modernise GW. If you're able, cast your mind back to pre Lord of the Rings and they were a very different company. I have the advantage of working (in separate stints) pre, during and after. Modern GW is a very lean beast, and it seems this is down to Mr Wells.

With that job seemingly jobbed, one could say he has literally done himself out of a job?

Not saying this is anywhere near fact, just a talking point thrown out there (and no, I don't currently work for GW!)

Wolfshade
01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Cheers for the link Denzark.

Of course they could ship £3m in tax liabilities by moving the operations to Luxembourg...

Slight incremental sales show a modest improvement which really is quite good given the downturn in the economy and that this is a none essential market.

Mr Mystery
01-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Stop talkin' purdy boy!

Psychosplodge
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Cheers for the link Denzark.

Of course they could ship £3m in tax liabilities by moving the operations to Luxembourg...

Slight incremental sales show a modest improvement which really is quite good given the downturn in the economy and that this is a none essential market.

But is that just an increase in sales revenue, form the price rises and change in material? as the court documents showed actual sales in terms on units is in decline iirc.

Wolfshade
01-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I am not so sure as the cost of the sales also increased...

Tynskel
01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Not necessarily....

Mark Wells was arguably brought in to modernise GW. If you're able, cast your mind back to pre Lord of the Rings and they were a very different company. I have the advantage of working (in separate stints) pre, during and after. Modern GW is a very lean beast, and it seems this is down to Mr Wells.

With that job seemingly jobbed, one could say he has literally done himself out of a job?

Not saying this is anywhere near fact, just a talking point thrown out there (and no, I don't currently work for GW!)

If that was Mark's task, then he completed it. There's no point for him to stay, either. If that's what he's good at, he'll want to move onto another company anyhow. I have friends that are good at 'startup' businesses. They set the business up, and leave, to do it all over again. You do what you are good at, and stick to that.