PDA

View Full Version : Plague Marines tactics...

Denzark
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Starter for 10...

What size is the 'sweet spot' for the squad...?

nurglez
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
7 strong of course :D

next question?

Denzark
01-18-2013, 06:27 AM
4th ed and free plague champ - yes I agree. But do you need a full squad, or how few can you get away with with fearless and FNP?

Second, does the points differential between Nurgle marked vanilla CSM, and Plague Marines with FNP, fearless and blight grenades, even out?

Sly
01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
5 man strong units. A major strength is that 40% of them can run Special Weapons, why dilute that?

MoN CSM and PMs are reasonably even. They each have advantages:
CSM need 10 guys for 2 specials, PM can take at 5
CSM get more bolters for the points and more CC attacks (though PM are more effective per attack)
CSM have I4, PM at 3
PM are Fearless.

For 5-man squads with specials, I would run PM. It's a core strength of the squad.
For larger squads, I would run MoN CSM. T5 is still hard to crack, firing ML at a 15 man squad is just not going to do much, and it's cheaper to add more shots/swings to the CSM squad than the PM squad. Just be careful and run a Lord in the unit if you're going big, otherwise that's too many points to lose to one Sweeping Advance. Yes, that does mean that you will usually want only one large MoN squad.

That works out reasonably well, too... one large Meltagun MoN squad with the Lord that is now Fearless, and several support PM squads with Plasma Guns providing heavy fire support.

nurglez
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
I always use 7 man squads. 5 man screams of min max and 10 costs too much for a squad.

for your second question, I'd guess it depends on what you want from your squad. Remember that Plague marines come with bolters, bolt pistols and poisoned weapons, and FNP is both better and worse then it was in 5th.

I dont think you can boil it down to which squad is better, as it depends on the rest of your army, your experience/play style and the mission.

I currently use 2 squads of plague marines in my 1500 force (alongside 2 squads of 10 cultists with a flamer), and they generally do what I expect them to. 1 squad has 2 melta and a combi melta and travels around in a landraider with my lord (terminator armour, power axe+ the black mace). The second squad has 2 plasma and a combi plasma and rolls around in a rhino (I also bought a rhino for the melta squad which I use to give cover to units or to transport a cultist squad).

Learn2Eel
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
With Feel No Pain and Fearless, you don't need as big a squad as if you we're taking Nurgle Chaos Space Marines.

Ok, a Plague Marine is 24 popsickles, a Chaos Space Marine is 13.
To make a Chaos Space Marine like a Plague Marine, add;
1) Mark of Nurgle - +3
2) Extra close combat weapon - +2

18 wedges, that is now a 6 point difference. That 6 points gets you;

1) Feel No Pain
2) Fearless
3) Poisoned (4+) close combat weapons
4) Two special weapons at any squad size
5) Defensive grenades

Not to mention that if you do the numbers, the Plague Champion is a free upgrade. All those bonuses at that cost, and you only lose a point of Initiative.
Plague Marines are most definitely worth it.

slobulous
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Plague Marines totally outclass Marked CSMs by a longshot. And I think 10 strong is really solid. Throw in a couple of plasma guns or meltas and they're good.

You may want to add a power fist on the Champion, but I don't know about that any more with challenges and all. A Rhino may also be viable but they are quite easy to kill nowadays. Still, even just one full turn of movement is 18 inches which is quite far so it may still be worth it since vehicles became quicker this edition.

This unit is on the expensive side but they're worth it. They don't run away, and they are very durable against small arms fire so just keep them in cover to protect against the heavy hits. They are great for sitting on an objective and not budging, or putting out shots on the move to an enemy objective. They are even decent in assault thanks to their durability and multiple poisoned attacks. Just a great all around unit.

Filthspew
01-20-2013, 02:39 AM
I run mine in 10 man squads. It ensures they keep their punch, even after taking losses.

If you run them 7 a squad, you get more special weapons and another rhino.

Ups and downs to both.

Dont throw away pts on the fist for champs anymore :)

Maybe melta bombs if you have the pts.

Tynskel
01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
7 is Nurgle's number. You should run them as 7, or 14.

sfshilo
01-20-2013, 04:16 PM
7 is Nurgle's number. You should run them as 7, or 14.

This.

Seven gives youthe normal 5 man bolters, two specials, and the good graces of papa nurgle.
Seven tend to tie up units rather then steam roll like 10 do. And in sixth thats huge to avoid getting smashed after cc.

Demonus
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
The dice gods smile when you run them in 7s.

Caitsidhe
01-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I've run both Plague Marines and Nurgle Marked CSM this edition to test which I prefer. Plague Marines continue to win hands down. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

sfshilo
01-30-2013, 12:58 PM
I've run both Plague Marines and Nurgle Marked CSM this edition to test which I prefer. Plague Marines continue to win hands down. They are expensive, but they are worth it.

My friends are getting VERY tired of my plague marines.

Only thing to note, they cannot overwatch, which most people forget.

Demonus
01-30-2013, 02:34 PM
why can't they? i believe only TS are slow and purposeful are they not?

sfshilo
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
This.

Seven gives youthe normal 5 man bolters, two specials, and the good graces of papa nurgle.
Seven tend to tie up units rather then steam roll like 10 do. And in sixth thats huge to avoid getting smashed after cc.

I take back everything I said. TAKE 20 with a lord. (Still a multiple of 7!)

I recently got tired of watching my 7 man plague marine squads die 2-3 turn slow deaths. So screw it, went all in, and I can say it was worth every point.

Try it before anyone complains, it's fantastic.

Lord Krungharr
02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Plague Marines are NOT slow and purposeful, so they can fire overwatch and sweeping advance (though their Initiative is a little low for that).

The Nurgle Daemon Princes are slow and purposeful which kinda sucks, but their 2+ cover save in ruins is a nice balance to that, they seem to need that protection.

I haven't tried 20 Plague Marines in a single marching squad before. That sounds pretty fun! Maybe I'll put a Sorcerer and Typhus with them too, and just have 5 other little zombie squads all over the place. Like Hannibal Lecter said his mother used to say, it's always good to try new things.