PDA

View Full Version : Deathwing assault and turn of arival...

Hjarl
01-16-2013, 01:49 AM
The 50% thing has been beaten to death so never mind that. What i have doubts about is the following:

Can i have some units deathwing assault in turn 1 and some in turn 2, or must all units deathwing assaulting arrive in the same turn?

The way i see it, the sentence "All units making the deathwing assault automatically arrive at the start of the chosen turn", could easily be refering to the turn chosen for each individual unit. At least that how i instinctively read it the first time around. Now im not sure...what do you guys think ?

A RAI point is the fact that they bothered to give Belial a homer. That would make a lot LESS sense if all deathwing assaulting units are supposed to arrive in the same turn.

OrksOrksOrks
01-16-2013, 05:22 AM
The 50% thing has been beaten to death so never mind that. What i have doubts about is the following:

Can i have some units deathwing assault in turn 1 and some in turn 2, or must all units deathwing assaulting arrive in the same turn?

The way i see it, the sentence "All units making the deathwing assault automatically arrive at the start of the chosen turn", could easily be refering to the turn chosen for each individual unit. At least that how i instinctively read it the first time around. Now im not sure...what do you guys think ?

A RAI point is the fact that they bothered to give Belial a homer. That would make a lot LESS sense if all deathwing assaulting units are supposed to arrive in the same turn.

You're trying to manipulate this but it just seems really desperate, its pretty obvious that ALL units arrive at the start of the chosen turn means you choose a turn and then all the units show up at the start, don't be obtuse, its not fun for anyone

alshrive
01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
i would point out that it says CAN make a deathwing assault. doesn't mean they have too.... could mean you send down belial in first turn witha unit and use his teleport homer for other units as and when they become available as per normal Deepstriking....

JMichael
01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
And you'd better have 50% on the table by end of turn 1 or you loose. I know you didn't want to mention it, but since Deathwing Assault is optional...

Tynskel
01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
No, Deathwing Assault is not optional. It is mandatory for Terminators that are teleporting.

What you can do is give Belial a land raider. Have him zip accross the board, and at the beginning of turn 2, everyone teleports within 6" of the hull of the land raider does not scatter.

JMichael
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
No, Deathwing Assault is not optional. It is mandatory for Terminators that are teleporting.

What you can do is give Belial a land raider. Have him zip accross the board, and at the beginning of turn 2, everyone teleports within 6" of the hull of the land raider does not scatter.

Nope. p44 Deathwing Assault: <paraphrasing> units with this rule can choose to make a Deathwing Assault.
You don't have too, you could keep all of your Termies in regular Deep Strike reserves.

Tynskel
01-16-2013, 02:58 PM
no, you need to read the Terminator Armor rules. They do not get to teleport the way other terminators do. You either start them in reserves and walk onto the board, or you make a Deathwing Assault.

JMichael
01-16-2013, 04:03 PM
no, you need to read the Terminator Armor rules. They do not get to teleport the way other terminators do. You either start them in reserves and walk onto the board, or you make a Deathwing Assault.

Where are you seeing this? The rules for Terminator armor are on p65 in the Dark Angels Codex which simply gives them the 2+/5++, Bulky, Deep Strike, and Relentless Special Rules. It does mentions any special Deep Strike rules nor even confers the Deathwing Assault rule (except to characters). Though all 3 of the Terminator squads have the Deathwing Assault rule.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Please provide page number for reference.

DarkLink
01-16-2013, 04:06 PM
And you'd better have 50% on the table by end of turn 1 or you loose. I know you didn't want to mention it, but since Deathwing Assault is optional...

You only need 1 living model on the table, not 50% of your army. The 50% is only for what you can put into reserves normally, not for whether or not you auto-lose.

JMichael
01-16-2013, 04:10 PM
You only need 1 living model on the table, not 50% of your army. The 50% is only for what you can put into reserves normally, not for whether or not you auto-lose.

derp. I was confused and meant 1 model. I'm building/buying an all Deathwing army and had the all Reserve thing in my head.

Tynskel
01-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Where are you seeing this? The rules for Terminator armor are on p65 in the Dark Angels Codex which simply gives them the 2+/5++, Bulky, Deep Strike, and Relentless Special Rules. It does mentions any special Deep Strike rules nor even confers the Deathwing Assault rule (except to characters). Though all 3 of the Terminator squads have the Deathwing Assault rule.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Please provide page number for reference.

Yeah, you are right.
However, those terminators doing 'normal' deep strike count toward the reserves limit, whereas the Deathwing Assault do not.

JMichael
01-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah, you are right.
However, those terminators doing 'normal' deep strike count toward the reserves limit, whereas the Deathwing Assault do not.

Yup. I was just checking this when I read your reply (I play Eldar and Sisters, so this whole Deep Striking whole armies is new to me!).
SO becuase you assign Deathwing Assault before deployment (and deciding reservse) they thus are considered a unit that 'Must Deep Strike' and therefore don't count towards the 50% reserves rule.
But you must then have at least 1 model on the board at the end of turn 1 or else you loose.

The Deathwing Assault seems to also read that they all come in on the same turn and you can't split them up. Is this correct?
And if you chose to have an all Deep Striking Deathwing Army, then they all have to Deathwing Assault on turn 1, right?

Tynskel
01-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Yup. If you only have Deathwing, and you choose to put them all in Reserves, then you have to use Deathwing Assault, and they must come in on turn 1, or you lose.