PDA

View Full Version : I love cooking me!

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Brace yourself! It's a happy thread!

As the title says, I effing love cooking me! Most days I'll be cooking my dinner from scratch, and I do enjoy experimenting.

For instance, this past week I've mostly been making pizza. Base dough is dead easy, and one batch provided enough for ten bases. And will cost you about a quid in ingredients. Divvy it up, bung in freezer wrapped in cling film. Topping? Whatever you have or whatever you fancy!

Tonight? Sauce is tomato purée. Rest is grated cheddar, bit of chopped red onion, half a chorizo, and some pepperoni. Took the dough out this morning, knocked it back and rolled it out when I got in, and pizza was ready to go before the oven. All for around a quids worth of ingredients. Fancy something different? I like to use Reggae Reggae sauce. Spicy and barbecue, it works really well as a base sauce. Again bung on what you fancy.

I also do a mean stew (love my slow cooker) and once I have the readies, I'll be plundering the spice store up the road for fresh curry ingredients. Including turmeric as the root!

So any other kitchen potterers on here!

Deadlift
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I am soooooo with you on this.
I could (and sometimes do) graze all day long :)
I love meat in all its lovely ways, I do eat a huge amount of chicken and can easily do 4 breasts a day. I did Atkins 5 years ago for awhile to try nd trim own a bit and lost about 35 pounds. Never felt weaker in my life.
For me cooking is not only about the fuel, it's about putting a meal on the table and having my ever increasing tribe sit down, eat, talk and enjoy each others company. Having them enjoy my cooking too always gives me the feel good factor.
So while most of my meals consist of chicken, pineapple and whey for myself. Every evening I can make the time we all sit and chow down on a proper meal.
I could do with some input on slow cooker recipes though, just bought one and any tips would be great.

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Stew is dead easy. Packet of beef (cheaper the better, as the long cooking time ensures it's tender!) usual veg suspects (I use a swede, carrots, onion and parsnips, chopped good and chunky). Few oxo cubes, herbs to taste, bottle of cheap red plonk, and leave it to cool until it's done! I love my slow cooker. Because I can leave it on 'keep warm' it brings economy of scale to one man dining.

If it's a bit thin, add cornflour, smidge at a time to thicken.

Tomorrow, I attempt a new chicken dish. Chicken breast, covered in colman's English mustard powder and a bit of oil, chucked on the George Formby grill, with mash and roast carrots and parsnips. Can do the veg prep tonight, so it's quicker tomorrow night. Should be tasty. I also have goose fat to use up, so Veg will be cooked in that. Couple of garlic cloves, some thyme, and Bob's your auntie's Russian male order toyboy.

Godless Zealot
01-07-2013, 01:48 PM
After years of loathing cooking and preparing meals it was at the tail end of last year something changed. I guess I finally matured, as I'm getting old now you see, and suddenly found myself instead of rushing to throw some quick simple meals together I found myself taking my time. I actually thought about what I should be eating, getting better ingredients and just spending that bit extra time in the kitchen. What's really strange for me is that I'm actually starting to enjoy it. There is a certain satisfaction preparing a meal from scratch and it tastes so much better (At least when you get it right):o.

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Stew is dead easy. Packet of beef (cheaper the better, as the long cooking time ensures it's tender!) usual veg suspects (I use a swede, carrots, onion and parsnips, chopped good and chunky). Few oxo cubes, herbs to taste, bottle of cheap red plonk, and leave it to cool until it's done! I love my slow cooker. Because I can leave it on 'keep warm' it brings economy of scale to one man dining.

If it's a bit thin, add cornflour, smidge at a time to thicken.

Tomorrow, I attempt a new chicken dish. Chicken breast, covered in colman's English mustard powder and a bit of oil, chucked on the George Formby grill, with mash and roast carrots and parsnips. Can do the veg prep tonight, so it's quicker tomorrow night. Should be tasty. I also have goose fat to use up, so Veg will be cooked in that. Couple of garlic cloves, some thyme, and Bob's your auntie's Russian male order toyboy.

It can also save you money. Post Christmas, Turkey was stripped of meat, and used in a curry. Carcass is currently in the freezer for when I fancy making soup or stock.

Next toy I want to buy is a sausage machine (Fnarr Fnarr) so I can make my own chorizo, salami and good old fashioned bangers! Again let's me buy cheap cuts of fatty meat and put them to good, tasty use. And dammit, mucking about in the kitchen and making food is an awesome pastime!

Deadlift
01-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Cheers Mystery ;)
Talking of left overs, I diced up the remainder of a beef roast and used it to make a chilli in my slow cooker, was great with nachos, sour cream and grated cheese. Bottle of Shiraz and I was a happy lad.

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 02:16 PM
You can do all sorts with a slow cooker. They're particularly good for chilli, as it really lets the flavour develop. To kick it off, I brown the mince with two or three Oxo cubes crumbled in.

Again just bung it all in. Chopped onion (fine or chunky, your call) tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans, tin of pinto beans, and for laziness couple of jars of chilli sauce. Again leave it overnight, and all day. Biggedy bong, ready for the rice when I get in from work. Usually lasts three or four days! And on account I'm a heat psycho, a couple of scotch bonnets bunged in for good measure! The long cooking mellows them just enough!

I also make my own bread. 500g strong white flour, 7g dried yeast, teaspoon of salt, 300ml warm water, pinch of sugar, tablespoon of olive oil. Sieve the flour into a bowl, add the salt. Meanwhile add yeast and sugar to the warm water, and leave for a few minutes to wake up the yeast and get it hungry. Add to the flour and salt, along with the olive oil and mix well. Once combined (shouldn't be too sticky) the knead well for 10 minutes until nice and elastic. To check if it's kneaded well enough, let it rest for a few seconds, and lightly prod it. The indent should bounce back out.

Leave in an lightly oiled and covered bowl for an hour or so until risen to twice it's size. Knock it back, and leave to rise again. This bit is very pleasing, and it can be knocked back several times if you wish.

I prefer to leave it to prove/rise again on it's baking tray. Heat oven to 230. Before bunging it in, make a few slashes in the top (this lets the steam out). The bake at 230 for 15 minutes, the turn oven down to 200 and leave a further 10 minutes. When it's ready, it should souned hollow.

Leave to cool on a wire rack, and marvel at how quickly it's consumed!

Wildeybeast
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Brace yourself! It's a happy thread!

As the title says, I effing love cooking me!

I'm curious as to which bits of you make the best cut of meat (and how you avoid attend problems with blood loss and infection and such like)? Also, do you have any interesting recipes for long pig?

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Well thankfully the Mystery line has a high percentage of reptilian genes, and as such I can lop bits off for the pot. Usually my left leg. It's always back by morning!!

Wildeybeast
01-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Neat. I'm pretty sure my mum has reptilian DNA, though sadly it's just a complete inability to regulate her own body temperature.

ElectricPaladin
01-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Neat. I'm pretty sure my mum has reptilian DNA, though sadly it's just a complete inability to regulate her own body temperature.

My wife's the same way.

Wolfshade
01-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I'm curious as to which bits of you make the best cut of meat (and how you avoid attend problems with blood loss and infection and such like)? Also, do you have any interesting recipes for long pig?

Damn beat me to it!

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 03:52 PM
And time for another recipe!

My Gran's fried fish.

Dead simple. You'll need white fish fillets (as I'm Eco minded, and in the thrall of Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall, Coley or Pollock are favoured) an egg or two depending on quantity, some flour and some Paxo golden breadcrumbs.

Clean up your fish, removing any obvious bones with tweasers, and remove the skin. Fishmongers can do this for you of you can't be arsed.

Mix some salt and freshly ground black pepper into the flour, and dredge you fillets coating them on both sides.

Then, dip the dredged fillets in the beaten egg. Best done whilst the egg is still cold. If it's too warm it for all elastic and weird.

From the egg, into the breadcrumbs. If you fancy, the breadcrumb can be mixed with spice of your choice. I recommend Schwarz spicy Cajun ;)

That done, into a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan heated over a medium high heat, and in the words of both my Gran's, cook until it's done. Careful with turning. Do it too much and it might break up!

Serve with home made chips, garden peas, and some bread and butter.

Dead tasty, and little fuss!

Home made chips? Wash spuds, chip them to preferred size. If very starchy, soak in cold water for a few minutes to remove the excess. Then straight into the deep fat fryer. So easy!

Wildeybeast
01-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Speaking of sustainable fish recipes, have a look at these (http://www.wwf.org.uk/what_we_do/campaigning/more_fish/sustainable_fish_recipes/?gclid=CJuQoeak17QCFaTKtAodbg0ATA&pc=ALD004002). Can't say I've tried any of them, but they sound pretty tasty and WWF has been backing HFW and his fish campaign.

Deadlift
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Mystery, have you ever tried twice cooked chips, basically you cut your chips as you want them and boil for say 5 mins max, then drain and place in fridge. After they have cooled bung them in a fryer at 120c for about 2 to 3 mins, take them out and stick them on a tray and bung them back in the fridge. Then once cooled bung them back in the fryer at 170c until golden. Best chips ever, crispy on outside and lovely and fluffy in the middle.

As for WWF and sustainable fish, I had think twice at that, I 1st thought, "what the hell does Hulk Hogan and co know about that ?"

Mr Mystery
01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
I have! However nice as they are, I find it's a bit too much fannying around!

If I'm going poncy, it's goose fat roasties! Parboil spuds. Place on tray in the fat, coat well. Roast in oven. About 10 minutes before ready, press down with a spud masher. Lovely stuff! Oh, and ensure you season to taste (for me, sea salt, fresh black pepper, garlic and thyme) before roasting.

Wildeybeast
01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
They actually changed to WWE after WWF sued them over the name.

Mr Mystery
01-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Currently researching pizza sauce recipes.

As soon as I have small, freezer suitable dishes my pizzas will be becoming even more home made, and thus even cheaperer to make!

Next up? I fancy looking up a home made chicken kiev recipe. On account I effing love the chicken kiev! Spesh with some chips and marrowfat peas. Luvverly!

Yep. That's looking dead easy. Make a garlic butter, pack chicken breasts with it (huh huh. I said breasts) then treat as per Gran's fried fish.

I think I'll give this a bash when I find chicken on offer. Recipe is for 4 (though I usually have two at a sitting). Thinking knock them all up, and freeze any excess. THen I just have to remember to take them out of the freezer before I go to bed/work.... Mwahahaha!

Deadlift
01-08-2013, 06:59 AM
They actually changed to WWE after WWF sued them over the name.

Yeah I know, obviously my poor attempt at humour is wasted on here :)

There is vague connection between what's now the WWE and recipes though. I was lucky enough to go to the WWF Bar in New York. The food was fantastic and the store upstairs had lots of sauces and condiments that the restaurant used. There was even a WWF cookbook which I think was written by JR and illustrated by Mick Foley (mankind, cactus jack and dude love). My brother bought it and made some great dishes from it. Unfortunately it was 10 years ago, the Bar is no longer in Times Square and the books vanished. The best recipe I remember is the coke cooked ham, which Nigella has adapted and used in her own books.

I had a great steak there, and saw the Dudley boys put Santa though a table in the middle of the restaurant. Everyone cheered :).

Gotthammer
01-08-2013, 07:17 AM
What you gonna do when sustainable agriculture runs wild on you?!

You think you got what it takes in the kitchen? You think your mendiants au chocolate can stand up to the Hulkster? Well see how tempered that chocolate is when it's got a 24" python crushing down on it!

I've been doing a bit of cooking lately - I made some choc-praline balls for christmas (kinda like Ferrero Rocheres) and some caramel & chocolate biscuits for new years. Managed to make both the praline and caramel from scratch, which I was rather happy with as was the first time I'd ever attempted either. Not much for cooking "proper" meals though.

Deadlift
01-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Making chocolates as presents at Christmas, I always thought was fantastic. Yum. Working with chocolate is an art in its self.
So this Christmas if you have any spare lying around, I will be on my way ;)

eldargal
01-08-2013, 07:46 AM
I don't cook, as I think it sends boys the wrong message.:rolleyes:

I also say any sandwiches prepared will be administered in suppository form. I do eat a hell of a lot though.

Psychosplodge
01-08-2013, 07:50 AM
You can cook things in coke O_o

Deadlift
01-08-2013, 08:02 AM
I don't cook, as I think it sends boys the wrong message.:rolleyes:

I also say any sandwiches prepared will be administered in suppository form. I do eat a hell of a lot though.

Cooking is very good at attracting whatever sex your interested in :)

Very early on my now wife, realised I knew my way around the kitchen as I used my ability to cook to woo her. It worked ;).
My children both love to cook with me too, I think as a parent it's my duty to teach them how to cook "real" food.
I was lucky that my Father had a restaurant when I was growing up. Also my Grandparents who I lived with placed great importance on proper food. My grandmothers bread and butter pudding is still one of my favorite desserts.
Cooking I think is something you pass onto the next generation and something that can bond you as a family. Not just cooking mind, eating is just as much fun ;)

Wolfshade
01-08-2013, 08:06 AM
I don't cook I'm married...

jgebi
01-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I'm still at school but I love to cook, mess up my kitchen and your screwed I keep my knives sharp.
I'm looking for some recipes to try out.

Brakkart
01-08-2013, 08:24 AM
You can cook things in coke O_o

Yum Gammon (Ham joint) cooked in coke is fantastic, can cook it in Ginger Ale also, adds a lot of flavour and sweetness to the meat.

I love to cook, not brilliant at it by any means though. that said the quick fudge recipe I borrowed (and adapted) from one of Nigella Lawson's books went down a storm with my friends and family over Xmas and I loved the green pasta spirals in blue cheese sauce I did last night. Also I can cook anything that can be cooked in a wok.

eldargal
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Oh I think cooking is a very important skill that really ought to have more focus placed on it, and I can actually cook rather well. I just refuse to.:p It's this whole no domesticity thing I have going on...

I love Nigella, and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is good too. Also that pretty vintage dresser in Paris, I forget her name.

Psychosplodge
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
Does it work with Beef?

Mr Mystery
01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Tonight's dinner!

Chicken breast marinaded in season all and oil. To be served with roast carrots and parsnips, alongside mashed potatoes.

Deadlift
01-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Does it work with Beef?

Never tried it on anything but a joint of ham, when the coke reduces it turns into a sweet sticky like glaze. Obviously you have to use normal coke and not diet.

I usually use an even mixture of flour and mustard powder on my beef joints. Coat the joint and roast as usual, enjoy ;)

Mr Mystery
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Went with mustard chicken instead tonight.

Not bad for first attempt, but needs entirely more mustard!

Tomorrow, it's back to pizza. Spicy meat feast I reckon! Salami, chorizo, pepperoni, green chilli on a reggae reggae sauce base. Should be dead tasty, no?

Deadlift
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Sounds spicy ;)

Mr Mystery
01-08-2013, 03:32 PM
With any luck it'll blow my back doors off!

dark messenger
01-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Damnit... thread's making me hungry....

I am the best "live" cook my friends know - they're always clamouring me with requests for meals lol. I am not exactly Iron Chef or anything but I can make tasty, wholesome meals out of almost anything.
Take last night for example, my friend Chris gave me; Old potatoes and onions, day old pizza and a packet of cubed beef that had been at the back of the fridge for a week. Turned it into a mutant beef and veggie hotpot with a crunchy pizza and mash crust on top.
Simple use of ingredients (and much cooking of flavour into it) and tasted good according to him.

I love cooking and eating and the greater range of flavours that better - though I'm a sucker for a spicy dish :D
Love making my patties and dumplings and saltfish fry-up and a proper jerk chicken with brown rice and peas... all caribbean cuisine learned at the side of my elders and all good eating!
Although lately I am trying to master the arts of oriental and east asian food. The balance of flavours they have in there... spicy/sweet/salty/sour and the zingy bit when it hits your tongue... exquisite

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 07:02 AM
And change of plan, on account I forgot to take the dough out the freezer. D'oh! (Mmm. Punalicious)

As such, lazy day today. Chicken Kiev from the freezer, and some home made chips!

Psychosplodge
01-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah, real chips are awesome.

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 07:46 AM
I do them skin-on. So much nicer!

May even dust them with some spice tonight....

Psychosplodge
01-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Skins are for jackets...

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Makes for exceedingly tasty chips... Most of the flavour is in the skins.

Trust me on this one! Give it a bash!

Attempting them with Rooster spuds tonight, on account I have loads left over from chrimbo.

Gotthammer
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/248b795bd1c171c5fb43f57cdf5dc7be/tumblr_mg7nhggnPO1qkej80o1_500.gif

also, homemade chips are yum! Might make some on the weekend now :D

Build
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Why must this thread exist now???

While I'm trying to get my bodyfat percentage down to single figures again!

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/52419_o.gif

Gotthammer
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m94s3v7kyV1r2dc3bo1_500.gif

at least I'm not posting recipies for my stuff.

Yet... :p

All this cooking's having an effect on me - hit 60kg (6ft tall) for the first time in my life a while back :eek:

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Why must this thread exist now???

While I'm trying to get my bodyfat percentage down to single figures again!

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/52419_o.gif

Ha!

I love my food me!

Wolfshade
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Of course everyone should eat baltis...

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I prefer something hotter myself.

Or when ordering takeaway, a Jalpino.

Wolfshade
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
No point being all spice and no flavour. The spice should complement the flavour rather than dominate.

Mr Mystery
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Oh indeed. But I like my heat!

Psychosplodge
01-10-2013, 02:58 AM
All this cooking's having an effect on me - hit 60kg (6ft tall) for the first time in my life a while back :eek:

That sounds rather thin.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Not for a lass it's not. I think.

I work in stone, pounds and ounces you know. Man measures.

Psychosplodge
01-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Not for a lass it's not. I think.

I work in stone, pounds and ounces you know. Man measures.

Oh it is, 9 and a bit stone at 6ft? You'd probably be able to get your hands round her waist, unless of course Gott objects? :D

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me5cobJ1HD1rm1v5ho1_500.gif

Build
01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
I use pounds, kilos and stones.

Mainly because I've had to use Gyms owned by Americans when I'm used to using just kg, however the conversation ratios aren't that bad until you try to work KG into stone.

I'm currently on a high fat low CHOS diet as I tend to stay much leaner that way, have my top four of the 6 pack visible at the moment whilst weighing 92kg at 5'11 (just over 14.4 stone).

But sticky toffee pudding is my big weakness...to make matters worse I have the perfect recipe for it, the secret is to use the brownest un-refined sugar you can get to make the pudding and the sauce.

Deadlift
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I use pounds, kilos and stones.

Mainly because I've had to use Gyms owned by Americans when I'm used to using just kg, however the conversation ratios aren't that bad until you try to work KG into stone.

I'm currently on a high fat low CHOS diet as I tend to stay much leaner that way, have my top four of the 6 pack visible at the moment whilst weighing 92kg at 5'11 (just over 14.4 stone).

But sticky toffee pudding is my big weakness...to make matters worse I have the perfect recipe for it, the secret is to use the brownest un-refined sugar you can get to make the pudding and the sauce.

Never had a 6 pack, I refer to my core as " the keg" :)
I know I have stomach muscles, I just never seen them. Last time I mashed the scales I was about 124 kg lol

Gotthammer
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Oh it is, 9 and a bit stone at 6ft? You'd probably be able to get your hands round her waist, unless of course Gott objects? :D

Quite possibly, though objections are also likely unless you guys have turned into sexy ladies while I haven't been looking :p

On topic: Probably going to make a ganache this weekend for a party - will try to remember to take pictures!

Mr Mystery
01-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm making bread tonight, and made pizza for dinner (oh the joys of being broke!)

It's quietly rising in it's bowl before I pummel it back down!

Gotthammer
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
I like bread - my first job out of school was as a baker (and my grandad was one too) - but so messy. Any particular style of bread you're doing?

Mr Mystery
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Just plain old white bread.

We're having a contributory picnic at work tomorrow, so keeping it simple!

Build
01-11-2013, 10:29 AM
@Gotthammer

This sexy enough for you? EDIT: REMOVED

Photo is five years old and is made of drunkenness, stupidity and shame.
Please note if this upsets or horrifies anyone let me know and I will remove it.

Never had a 6 pack, I refer to my core as " the keg" :)
I know I have stomach muscles, I just never seen them. Last time I mashed the scales I was about 124 kg lol

Well six packs can be over rated, I've always found them to be a swine to maintain nicely.

Besides which a visible set doesn't exactly assist with any lifts, especially as I'm sure deadlift can deadlift, more than I can deadlift and I'm quite proud of what I can already deadlift because I like deadlifting.

deadlift....

Mr Mystery
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Six packs are for wimps.

Real men go for the barrel.

Gotthammer
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
@ Build - no.

Cooking might not work so well tomorrow as it's meant to be another over 40 degree day :/

Godless Zealot
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Cooking something hot might be a good idea tomorrow as there is a chance it may snow! Yay!

Fizzybubela
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Not good for me! I have school next week and Golf on the course on Wednesday afternoon!

Mr Mystery
01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Tonight, I will be attempting Toad in the Hole, a dish I love but have never attempted from scratch!

Gotthammer
01-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Toad isn't that hard. Main thing is to grease the pan thoroughly - if you're using an old recipie often they don't say to as the fat run off from the sausages would be enough, but these new fangled modern snags generally don't ooze grease like a sweaty teenager so more is needed.

Mr Mystery
01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
Yup. Got some Goosefat in the fridge, or may just use butter/vegetable oil!

Also fancy putting some mustard powder into the batter. I love Mustard me!

Wolfshade
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I've never had that problem before. I usually have the opposite problem that they give out too much so the yorkshire remains soggy in the middle. Though the flavour from the fat goes in to the yorkie is brilliant.

Psychosplodge
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Tonight, I will be attempting Toad in the Hole, a dish I love but have never attempted from scratch!

You know what makes good tins for both Yorkshire puddings and toad in the hole? Fry Bentos pie tins...

Mr Mystery
01-20-2013, 02:28 AM
That is a very good call sir! Next time I shall save the tin!

And Wolfy, the middle is meant to be squidgy, just like a good woman!

Deadlift
01-20-2013, 02:43 AM
I have found on BBC food for the perfect yorkie recipe that works for me every time.

160 grams of flour
4 eggs
200 ml milk

Whisk flour and eggs until smooth, then add milk slowly whilst whisking mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Either 1 large yorkie tin or one with 16 individual spaces. Sunflower or vegetable oil. Bung tray in oven to heat oil. When its hot pour in mixture and put in oven asap. Cook for half an hour.
Perfect every time for me. For a twist fry adding a few herbs to your mix, like rosemary if your having it with lamb.

Mr Mystery
01-20-2013, 04:55 AM
Mine was lovely! Beautifully crispy bottom, and good sausages. Served with mashed spuds, and some instant onion gravy.

Absolutely winning!

Mr Mystery
01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Got bored

Hoovered front room, did washing up, cleaned and scrubbed kitchen. Had a smoke. And now half way through making a granary loaf. Dough is quietly proving in it's bowl.

Deadlift
01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
I have a shoulder of lamb slow roasting in the oven at the moment, I have used anchovies when roasting lamb before, but not like this. It uses capers too which I really like with lamb. I had lamb shank with caper sauce years ago when I was to treated to dinner at "The Ivy" in London.

I had to substitute the white wine for red in the recipe though, I don't suspect it will matter too much as its a light bodied one.

Here's the recipe.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1663637/slowroast-shoulder-of-lamb-with-anchovy-and-rosema

I applaud you on the bread making MM, I really struggle with it to be honest. I think it's great so many of us on here like to cook but then it's a creative thing, and as hobbyists I guess we're all creative people anyway. Should we petition for a cookery / recipe section in the forums lol. I am sure it would be a first in a war gaming forum.

Mr Mystery
01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
The trick to bread is to power up the yeast. Ensure the water you're using is warm, and dissolve a little sugar in it. Then bung in the dried yeast and give a good stir, breaking up any lumps. Put that to one side and then measure the rest of your dry ingredients out. By the time that's done the yeast and water should be lightly frothing. When it is, it's ready!

Next stage is of course the mixing and kneading. This stage cannot be over done! Usually a good 10 minute knead is enough. If you're not sure, give the dough a light prod. If it's kneaded enough, the depression should bump straight out.

Then, leave to prove for a good hour in a bowl, covered in a tea towel. The warmer the environ, the better the rise. When it's done, knock it back. This stage can be rinsed and repeated as many times as you want.

Before baking, leave the knocked back dough to prove one last time on it's tray.

Should turn out well!

Godless Zealot
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I have found on BBC food for the perfect yorkie recipe that works for me every time.

160 grams of flour
4 eggs
200 ml milk

Whisk flour and eggs until smooth, then add milk slowly whilst whisking mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Either 1 large yorkie tin or one with 16 individual spaces. Sunflower or vegetable oil. Bung tray in oven to heat oil. When its hot pour in mixture and put in oven asap. Cook for half an hour.
Perfect every time for me. For a twist fry adding a few herbs to your mix, like rosemary if your having it with lamb.

Have to try this method the next time I'm called into service. Last time I made Yorkshire puds I made a right balls of them much to the dismay of Mother....:o

Deadlift
01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
The trick to bread is to power up the yeast. Ensure the water you're using is warm, and dissolve a little sugar in it. Then bung in the dried yeast and give a good stir, breaking up any lumps. Put that to one side and then measure the rest of your dry ingredients out. By the time that's done the yeast and water should be lightly frothing. When it is, it's ready!

Next stage is of course the mixing and kneading. This stage cannot be over done! Usually a good 10 minute knead is enough. If you're not sure, give the dough a light prod. If it's kneaded enough, the depression should bump straight out.

Then, leave to prove for a good hour in a bowl, covered in a tea towel. The warmer the environ, the better the rise. When it's done, knock it back. This stage can be rinsed and repeated as many times as you want.

Before baking, leave the knocked back dough to prove one last time on it's tray.

Should turn out well!

Or you could send me some of yours ;) I bet it's lovely when still warm with butter.

Mr Mystery
01-20-2013, 02:11 PM
I was surprised at the consistency of my batter (yik yik!). Much thicker than I was expecting, but I trusted auntie Delia and it turned out fine'

Wolfshade
01-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Here is one for you for real onion gravy

Heat some olive oil in a pan
Dice one onion and fry until it softens
Add one tablespoon of soft dark brown sugar
Fry for a couple of minutes till it starts to caramelise
Add 3 tablespoons of sherry
Cook till it has reduced down to about half and the reduce the heat to minimum
Add half a pint of beef stock
When that starts to bubble it might need thickening using cornflour (e.g. one dessert spoon mixed into 2-3 dessert spoons of cold water then add to the pan, this stops it going lumpy rather than adding it straight to the gravy)
It will thicken as it boils, once the flour has been added and thicken to taste.

Mr Mystery
01-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Well.....Gonads quite frankly. Tried to make beernuts. It went horribly horribly wrong. Would have helped if I realised being an American recipe, it mean 300 farenheit...and not, you know....celsius. ROASTY TOASTY! And in the bin, being all but inedible :(

Might give it another try. Then again might not.

And in other food related news, I have decided my nipsy is evil and needs to be punished on a regular basis. As such, I intend to grow my own chillis at some point (due to growing season, likely next year now..).

We have an unused strip of greenery out the back, between the building and the carpark, literally just sitting there. Reckon I'll have enough space to till it, and get growing various other veg. Would be cool to grow my own Pumpkins in time for Halloween! Not to mention various other tasty veg throughout the year, making myself ever more self sufficient. Only concern is that it opens out onto a graveyard, and people use the carpark as a cut through. Thus there is a chance of people half inching my veg. But that's alright. I have a deep fat fryer, and my windows look out over it. Keep it on, and get medieval on their thieving hands!

Wolfshade
01-28-2013, 10:09 AM
More over the issue is with pigeons and caterpillars in my experiance.
I've grown chillis and peppers before now but they were in a conservatory, the way those grew it was like a small forest and boy can those things drink...

alshrive
02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Ok i have dug this thread up because i want opinion. my favourite local Restaurant/Bistro is currently running a competition. Design a dish for next months menu (they do a different menu every month- see here (http://www.ascoughsbistro.co.uk/market-harborough-restaurant/index.php/menus/dinner/)) and the winner will get their dish on the menu and a £40 voucher (3 course meal for 2) to go there during the month. I have been furiously debating what i want to put forward and am now going to put forth my suggestion for critique before i decide what to submit. My current idea is-

Smoked Haddock Kedgeree with a soft poached egg, Pan Seared Scallops and........ and this is where i need help. I am torn between either a Parmesan Tuile or a Ginger Tuile.......... what do you guys think?

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 08:45 AM
They're both wrong, chocolate fudge cake is the only acceptable dessert...

Or to make it a bit "posh" chocolate fudge brownie with vanilla icing sugar and topped with ice cream and a strawberry

alshrive
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
erm Splodge that was all one dish..... you only get to design a main....

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Ok i have dug this thread up because i want opinion. my favourite local Restaurant/Bistro is currently running a competition. Design a dish for next months menu (they do a different menu every month- see here (http://www.ascoughsbistro.co.uk/market-harborough-restaurant/index.php/menus/dinner/)) and the winner will get their dish on the menu and a £40 voucher (3 course meal for 2) to go there during the month. I have been furiously debating what i want to put forward and am now going to put forth my suggestion for critique before i decide what to submit. My current idea is-

Smoked Haddock Kedgeree with a soft poached egg, Pan Seared Scallops and........ and this is where i need help. I am torn between either a Parmesan Tuile or a Ginger Tuile.......... what do you guys think?

Parmesan, definitely. The Ginger risks overpower the relativley delicate tastes involved in the rest of the dish. Must try cooking Scallops some time. I've not often had them, but I have always enjoyed them when I have!

Or Bacon. Bacon is almost always an appropriate answer you know.

alshrive
02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
yeah the ginger would have had to be very finely balanced but would have complemented the mild curry from the Kedgeree and helped cut through the richness of Egg and Scallop..... decisions! I wondered whether doing parmesan would introduce another very big and rich flavour.....

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
lmao I assumed a toutile was some dessert I'd never seen as it's not chocolate cake...

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Think about what they can reasonably replicate with ease in the Restaurant. Few Chefs are anywhere near as good as they think they are, and when knocked out their comfort zone fluff things up.

But the Parmean? Sounds much tastier, and a lot less mucking about in the kitchen to get right.

alshrive
02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
nothing like a PARMESAN based dessert!

alshrive
02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Think about what they can reasonably replicate with ease in the Restaurant. Few Chefs are anywhere near as good as they think they are, and when knocked out their comfort zone fluff things up.

But the Parmean? Sounds much tastier, and a lot less mucking about in the kitchen to get right.

very true. Plus everybody loves Parmesan!

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
I assumed it was cheese cake :p

alshrive
02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
ah right a cheesecake that literally smacks you in the face going "CCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSE EEEEEEEEEEE" using the amazing power of umami!

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
This food sounds far too high class for me

But it has made me super hungry. Bugger it

(I did just realsie all i've eaten since 6pm last night is 5 maryland cookies and a jammie dodger)

alshrive
02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
in that case i might recommend you go down to Bubbledogs& in London. Hotdogs and Champagne- it's the future!

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:14 AM
in that case i might recommend you go down to Bubbledogs& in London. Hotdogs and Champagne- it's the future!

If that's the future shoot me now...though I suppose if I had to drink London beer I might drink champaign instead too.

alshrive
02-07-2013, 09:17 AM
they are amazing hotdogs though! i had the buffalo dog which is a Frank with Buffalo Sauce, Blue Cheese, Pickled Celery and Celery Seeds! it was the most amazing thing ever!

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Bun
Sausage
Ketchup

What else do you need!

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Bun
Sausage
Ketchup

What else do you need!
Mustard and sauerkraut for a start.

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
TBH everyone knows

a) British sausages are better than "hotdogs" be they American or German
b) Burgers > Hotdogs

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
British sausages are certainly better than American sausages, but German sausages are the best in the world.

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Why ruin the meat/bread combination with source?

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Skins are too thick for my liking. The one i had in Austria, my fork bounced off of.

7 years later i'm sure its still being digested..

Why ruin the meat/bread combination with source?

Cos Ketchup (and BBQ sauce) are the best. The contrast between hot meat (giggidty) and cold sauce just brings it home

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Skins are too thick for my liking. The one i had in Austria, my fork bounced off of.

7 years later i'm sure its still being digested..
Some of them you are supposed to take out of the skin, like weisswurst. The traditional way of eating weisswurst is snipping the tip and sucking the meat out. I refuse to do this in public.

Or it may just have been a bad sausage.:p

DrLove42
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
. The traditional way of eating weisswurst is snipping the tip and sucking the meat out. I refuse to do this in public.

I wonder why....

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Cos Ketchup (and BBQ sauce) are the best. The contrast between hot meat (giggidty) and cold sauce just brings it home
Nah, it just hides the taste of substandard meat.

Some of them you are supposed to take out of the skin, like weisswurst. The traditional way of eating weisswurst is snipping the tip and sucking the meat out. I refuse to do this in public.

I'm sure it looks worse if a male does it :D

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Yep, it's horrid. In fact my mother only got my father to stop doing it by promising she would do it if he didn't. :rolleyes:

I made cupcakes. Does crumbling stilton onto fried black pudding count as cooking?

alshrive
02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
of course it does! it is combining 2 of the most delectable foods on this fair planet!

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
of course it does! it is combining 2 of the most delectable foods on this fair planet!

Bacon cupcakes?

eldargal
02-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Yay, then I also made crumbled stilton on black pudding.

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Bun
Sausage
Ketchup

What else do you need!

HP Sauce, not ketchup you dirty little heretic.

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
HP Sauce, not ketchup you dirty little heretic.

Sauce is the heresy, not the variety!

Mr Mystery
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh you're getting burned to, your Iconoclast!

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh you're getting burned to, your Iconoclast!

No I am merely the one with the way of truth, while you worship your false saucy idols.

Wolfshade
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Thinking of saucy idols, I had a lovely maple syrup and whisky sauce today

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 05:51 PM
sounds odd...
what with?

Wolfshade
02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Double 8oz cheese burger with chips :)

Maple syrup works really well with meat, like steak.

Psychosplodge
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I'll take your word for it.

alshrive
02-08-2013, 03:53 AM
update, i cooked scallops last night and it was great! chilli king prawn linguine with pan seared scallops is a delightful dinner :)

DrLove42
02-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Now i want to go o the Harvester. FULL rack of Ribs with a JD BBQ sauce....nom nom nom

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 06:44 AM
I only discovered Harvesters on New Years eve and was most impressed.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 06:45 AM
It was at an harvester that I had my maple syrup and whisky sauce.

Mr Mystery
02-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Blech. Harvester is a bit dodgy if you ask me.

Salad bar is pretty sweet, but all too often I've had my dining experience at them ruined by other, far viler patrons.... Not really the restaurants fault, but sadly it's problem.

At some point, I intend to attempt home made teriyaki. Seems pretty straight forward, once you have the ingredients.

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 07:21 AM
I think it is what it is, it is nice pub grub, though for value I prefer the marston's two for one pubs, not to be confused with the branded two for one pubs, as the selection of beer is far superior.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 07:25 AM
*shudder*
Anywhere but the branded 2-for-1 places...

Mr Mystery
02-08-2013, 07:35 AM
Though I must confess to a weakness for Wetherspoons Platters. I know they're crap. I know they're for sharing, but stuff you, I'm eating it all too myself!

Wolfshade
02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Thing is I don't mind paying pub grub prices for standard/pub grub. If I want to eat somewhere nicer I will go to a restaurant or one of the local independent pubs that does home made food. But it really annoys me going to some pretensious places that charge over the odds for no nicer food than standard chain pub food but at three times the price.

Psychosplodge
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Nah what really does me is those 2-4-1 places that double the price of their normal food, and don't give single diners the free meal either...

Mr Mystery
02-15-2013, 03:43 PM
New dish made tonight. Well. I say made, bodged is a better word!

Pasta, Ragu sauce, dried chilli flakes, and some thinly sliced, torn up chorizo. Very nice for a bodge dish! Could do with a little Parmesan, but don't have any!

I also intend to attempt fried chicken next month. I love KFC, and reckon I can replicate at home quite easily!

eldargal
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I've never eaten KFC, the smell makes me sick (I think it is the battery chicken meat smell). But homemade fried chicken is delicious.

The Girl
02-15-2013, 06:42 PM
I also intend to attempt fried chicken next month. I love KFC, and reckon I can replicate at home quite easily!

Use a pickle juice brine - pepper to taste; 2-3 cups pickle juice; throw it with the dismantled bird in a ziploc overnight.

Wolfshade
02-15-2013, 06:45 PM
What you do is to make a charga chicken in a proper tandor

Mr Mystery
02-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Haven't got a Tandor!! Nor likely to get one. Small flat is small.

Also need to pick up the required spices to make my own curry from scratch!

White Tiger88
02-16-2013, 02:36 AM
OK the thread title made me think you where eating your self.......... O.o

Mr Mystery
02-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Yeah it gets that a lot!

But welcome to our foodie thread. Now.... Give us your recipes, or else!

Deadlift
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Making this again tonight.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2244/slow-cooker-peanut-chicken.aspx

I really love my slow cooker and this recipe is dead easy. However I did find the chicken a touch dry the 1st time I made it, so I am substituting the breast for thigh meat. Other than that its a great dish. I do think adding coconut milk to the sauce may add something extra but not tried that yet.

Mr Mystery
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
That looks well good!

To keep the chicken moist, I think I'd start it off on my George Formby, just enough to seal it.

Definitely going to give this a whirl. Might even invite the ladies round to share.

Oh, and half a teaspoon of crushed chillis is for girls. I likes it dead spicy!

Deadlift
02-16-2013, 02:24 PM
Lol yeah I stuck 4 dried chopped chillies in. That's the great thing with cooking don't you think ? Take a recipe and tinker to suit your personal taste ;)

Mr Mystery
02-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Absolutely.

Recipes are guidelines only! Really must invest in a chilli growing kit soon. Got a sort of space all ready!

Psychosplodge
02-17-2013, 05:33 PM

beer battered fried chicken is something I occasionally have a go at. use smaller strips of chicken rather than full breasts so you can have the fat hotter to brown the batter and still make sure you cook it through nicely.

Made the mistake of going KFC for first time in years and not only have they changed the menu, the fillet strips they appear to replaced chrispy strips with are crap. Won't be going there again anytime soon.

Wildeybeast
02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
OK the thread title made me think you where eating your self.......... O.o

Bah, I made that joke weeks ago and it wasn't funny then.

Mr Mystery
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
And just found a recipe for panko breadcrumbs.

Essentially you grate bread and then dry in the oven.

Yeah. Might give that a bash sometime.

eldargal
02-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Anyone else addicted to sashimi? Tuna, salmon, mackeral, scallops, halibut, squid/calamari/cuttlefish, bass, snapper, whiting etc. If my brilliant fishmonger has it sashimi grade I will put it in my mouth.:rolleyes: Wasabi and soy sauce on the side.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 02:59 AM
I don't like sushi/sashimi etc, I think it's over priced and they don't even bother to cook it, disgraceful.

Mr Mystery
02-22-2013, 03:51 AM
That I do not know.

But, I have just invested in a Meat Grinder.

Yum yum yum yum yum! I remove myself ever further from the commercial food chain! Less salt, less fat, less horse.

eldargal
02-22-2013, 07:09 AM
I don't like sushi/sashimi etc, I think it's over priced and they don't even bother to cook it, disgraceful.
Sushi is usually cooked, the rice anyway.:p It is expensive but when you are eating raw fish you want it to have come from a good supplier and be prepared by a chef who knows what he is doing.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Having mastered the art of fire, I prefer my food cooked.

Though my (red) meat scaresly so

eldargal
02-22-2013, 07:27 AM
See it isn't much different from a rare steak. Also if you haven't tried raw steak you cannot call yourself a true connoisseur of beef.:p

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
See it isn't much different from a rare steak. Also if you haven't tried raw steak you cannot call yourself a true connoisseur of beef.:p

If you don't eat raw steak you are doing it wrong.

Cows moo, fish do not... Big difference.

eldargal
02-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Its the same principle though, nothing wrong with raw beef, nothing wrong with raw fish. Just have to get over the squeamishness first.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Its the same principle though, nothing wrong with raw beef, nothing wrong with raw fish. Just have to get over the squeamishness first.

It's all a matter of taste, because I have some, I do not like fish. I think it must be genetics and living in the most land-locked city in the UK.

Psychosplodge
02-22-2013, 07:45 AM
IDK most of the Cities that run down the length of the country look almost as far from the sea...

eldargal
02-22-2013, 07:51 AM
It's all a matter of taste, because I have some, I do not like fish. I think it must be genetics and living in the most land-locked city in the UK.

Well if you don't like fish fair enough.:p Try beef tataki, it's a steak that has been seared on both sides but left rare mostly served with ponzu sauce, it's lovely. Though it is hard to beat traditional steak tartare.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Didn't you read my Birmingham thread?

Psychosplodge
02-22-2013, 07:58 AM
I like it pink in the middle but that's a bit too far...

Probably not thoroughly enough

eldargal
02-22-2013, 08:00 AM
I like my steak rare so the centre is only just warm.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM
I like it mooing :o zoinks!

eldargal
02-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Fish have you beat on that front.:p In Japan you can get fish plucked out of a tank and turned into sashimi while still alive. When you eat it you can feel the nerves twitching and such. Horribly cruel of course. I love using the example to torment some 'fresh is best! (true) vegans (boo) that I know.

Can't do that to a cow. Not to mention that beef improves with ageing.

Wolfshade
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Beef is like wine.

Good beef is nicer matured same with wine (though different time scales).
Nasty beef/wine doesn't improve.

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Beef is also apparently like Horse!

All the more reason for my new toy to get here so I can further remove myself from the commercial realm of the foodchain

Wolfshade
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Horse is very lean, and doesn't have too bad a flavour either.

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Grinder arrived earlier, and ingredients procured. Hog casings are special order, and I'll have ten metres of them this time next week.

After that, the grand experiment begins! Rather looking forward to a fully home made toad in the hole for my Sunday tea!

Psychosplodge
02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
so what you doing?
Wild boar? Venison? Ostrich? Kangeroo?

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Just pork until I'm confident in making the bangers. From there, experiment further.

Picked up ingredients to make 3 metres of sossies for just over a fiver. Which is good value in anyone's money!

Guides say to fill the skin, then link them. And as they're going in the freezer no need for getting any poncier!

Deadlift
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Its my last Sunday off work tomorrow, so Forerib of beef is the menu with all the trimmings ;)

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Tasty beefs are tasty!

Have to say, living on my jack jones, I've never really done a proper roast, apart from a Chrimbo Turkey crown. Which went well.

Deadlift, I r jealous!! I'd be tempted to give it a mustard crust. Because beef and mustard is delicious. And also a very fine flavour of crisps from Mr 'besterest crisps in the world' Brannigan!

Wolfshade
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
so what you doing?
Wild boar? Venison? Ostrich? Kangeroo?

Horse of course!

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Horses are indeed for courses.

No need to be fussy as long as you can be confident the meat comes from a good source.

Wolfshade
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Talking of good sauce, HP :)

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Absolutely! Only sauce to have on your bacon. It's nekkid without at least a dollop of HP. Tomato Ketchup is good and all, but HP rules the roost in my flat.

Gah! Want my Hog Casings (fnarr!) now dammit!! Got the meat in the freezer, and because awesome butcher is awesome, he trimmed the rind off the shoulder, and have it to me to make crackling with!

Brakkart
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
HP is a good sauce to have on bacon no doubt, but I much prefer Daddies brown sauce. Dunno what it is about it, but I just find it nicer than the HP version.

Mr Mystery
02-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Dirty boy!

Daddies is nice, but HP is better!

Mr Mystery
02-24-2013, 11:22 AM
And today, I made hummus for the first time. Not exactly impressive, but was my hand blenders first outing.

Was delicious, but next time perhaps a smidge less paprika, and a tad more lemon juice.

Psychosplodge
02-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Sacrilege you don't ruin the perfect combination of bread, bacon, and butter with sauce *headdesk*

eldargal
02-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Not a fan of the idea of sauce on bacon. Bacon in sauce, yes, sauce on bacon, no.

Deadlift
02-25-2013, 02:11 AM
I love condiments on all things. Bacon sarnies have to be smoked back bacon, butter on thick toasted whole meal bread and a touch of HP.
I have been known to experiment with horseradish, or a BBQ and mayo combo. Sometimes melted cheddar too but I always go back to the HP as my regular favourite.

Wolfshade
02-25-2013, 02:49 AM
DL I am disappointed, I thuoght you would have appreciated the greatness that was unsmoke bacon, for the extra pig flavour.

Yesterday I had steak: http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b489/_wolfshade_/IMAG0304_zps759d7f66.jpg

Steak and chips, home made.

The steak was rubbed with salt and pepper on both sides, left to stand and then cooked for about 30s each side on a gridle pan.

Nom NOM NOM

Psychosplodge
02-25-2013, 02:54 AM
You've ruined it with orange and greenery.

Wolfshade
02-25-2013, 03:00 AM
You've ruined it with orange and greenery.

Sigh, I know, but apparently you have to.

On a completely unrealted note I discovered that my dogs like peas and carrots

Psychosplodge
02-25-2013, 03:29 AM
you don't :D

also lols.

eldargal
02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
I prefer my peas mushied up with fresh mint and sea salt. Boiled carrots are insidious, need to roast them or puree them with plenty of seasoning.

Mr Mystery
02-25-2013, 07:44 AM
Never chips with a Steak. You're doing the meat a disservice.

Far better a fat old baked potato, especially if you like your steak rare or medium rare. Soaks up all that blood and juices!

As for Veg? Just a bit of Broccoli for me ta. I find the crunch of properly cooked (as in heated through and no more) Broccoli compliments meat dishes beautifully.

Bah. Now I want Steak.

eldargal
02-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Chips go superbly with steak.:p Need to be properly crispy so the blood doesn't make them go soggy. Baked potatoes are good too, also roast potato chips.

I'm in the mood for something south american, big chunk of beef with chimichurri or something.

Psychosplodge
02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Chips soak up the juices fine too...

Egads man you mean there isn't a time you don't want steak? Even straight after steak you can still fancy more steak...

Mr Mystery
02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Never convinced by chips with quality meat myself.

Can't wait for my sausage skins to arrive! Looking forward to cracking on with that project :)

eldargal
02-25-2013, 07:52 AM
Well you need quality chips. Good potatoes fried in beef or duck fat.

Mr Mystery
02-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Not for me ta :p

Though I do enjoy my chips. Got a deep fat fryer, and home made chips are always the best. I leave the skins on for added flavour.

P.S. Check out this website.... Think I'll be placing an order next month.... http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/catalog/809/pork_seasonings

Wolfshade
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Home made chips in a proper chip pan that is the stuff of magic. Steak was ok too ;)

Psychosplodge
02-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Did look a bit anaemic to me though, did you leave them in long enough?

eldargal
02-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Prefer my chips to be starting to brown personally, salted straight out of the pan so it sticks to the fat.

Psychosplodge
02-25-2013, 08:16 AM
I skip the salt and just have vinegar and hendersons relish on chips, wouldn't want ot be too unhealthy on deep fried food... :D

Wolfshade
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
They were lovely chrispy on the outside fluffy in the middle, just right.

For some reason I can't get them much darker than that.

Ah well the steak was super.

Curry for tea I believe :)

Deadlift
02-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Home made chips in a proper chip pan that is the stuff of magic. Steak was ok too ;)
Without blowing my own trumpet, page 2 this thread I posted a recipe for twice cooked chips. Not mine I should add, but bloody fantastic all the same.

I agree Steak is best accompanied by fries or chips. I must insist on either a sombrero sauce of chilli, coriander, butter, garlic, tequila and cream or a Stilton and bacon sauce of my own recipe, which is made using the pan the steaks are cooked in. Deglaze with brandy or whiskey. Add cream and cooked cubed bacon, add some stilton (good quality) depending on how strong you want it, and reduce to a thick sauce.
I know many of you guys don't like to have sauces with quality meat, but me I think a good sauce or gravy made with quality ingredients adds something extra.

As for steak cuts, me I like a good T-Bone or Rib eye, fillets nice and all that but I like the flavour the marbling of fat that gives extra flavour to the meat :)

Mr Mystery
03-02-2013, 08:00 AM
First batch of sausages made! Woo!

Fried up what was left in the funnel and machine, and it's dead tasty! Flat now smells of tasty sausage.

Second batch up just as soon as the meat has defrosted.

Deadlift
03-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Yo guys, need some cooking advice.

I have a dinner party / buffet thing to go to tomorrow night, catch is its bring a dish. Now I was thinking of doing mini Yorkshire puddings stuffed with thin strips of roasted beef and a sauce of creme freche and horseradish. But not sure. I like cold yorkies but not sure normal people do.

I know the crowd and most will bring the usual cold pizza, nachos and dip and that sort of crap. I however would like to take something a bit better than that. Inspire me guys ;)

Denzark
03-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Pot of Thai green curry - easy to do.

Deadlift
03-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Just got home and I took many bottles of hobgoblin and made some cocktails whilst there. I was popular ;)

Denzark
03-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Today I cooked a Mother's Day meal for Mutti and the Memsahib. Started with Scallops in a parsley and garlic butter. Main was Reindeer steaks with sweet peppers stuffed with pesto, mushroom and onion. Dessert was Toffee and Pecan Roulade.

And would you believe that the majority of the constituents came from Lidl???

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Today I cooked a Mother's Day meal for Mutti and the Memsahib. Started with Scallops in a parsley and garlic butter. Main was Reindeer steaks with sweet peppers stuffed with pesto, mushroom and onion. Dessert was Toffee and Pecan Roulade.

And would you believe that the majority of the constituents came from Lidl???

What is this Mother's Day?

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 03:24 AM
It's where card companies have conditioned your mother to be pissed off if you don't get her owt.

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 03:28 AM
It's where card companies have conditioned your mother to be pissed off if you don't get her owt.

Could explain why Mother was annoyed with me yesterday when I went to lunch after going a-mothering.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 03:35 AM
Could explain why Mother was annoyed with me yesterday when I went to lunch after going a-mothering.

But wasn't it full if everyone did that?

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 03:50 AM
It was quite full, any more and it would be standing room only.

Very nice though

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 03:58 AM
I prefer to sleep in late on a Sunday.

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 04:08 AM
I prefer to sleep in late on a Sunday.

You have had your reward...

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 04:12 AM
You have had your reward...

I didn't, she kicked me out of bed...

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 04:16 AM
I didn't, she kicked me out of bed...

You had your reward and she wanted a sandwich

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 04:20 AM
You had your reward and she wanted a sandwich

No she wanted leaving alone to sleep :D and a coffee.

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Sleep AND a coffee?!

That makes no sense, "I want to sleep, quick get me a stimulant".

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 04:47 AM
Sleep AND a coffee?!

That makes no sense, "I want to sleep, quick get me a stimulant".

Women have made sense since when?

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Women have made sense since when?

Up until the point they started giving out mysterious apples....

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 04:52 AM
Female logic: I'll do what the talking snake says not holy sh!t a talking snake...

and it's only post mysterious apple that caused an issue? :D

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 04:56 AM
The snake got a raw deal, "Oh no! I'll have to crawl on my belly, oh...wait..."
Well before that it wasn't documented so it is just conjecture

Denzark
03-11-2013, 05:15 AM

Cynic - it is a contraction of 'Mothering Sunday' a Christian festival, where you throw your mammy in with a lion or summat. I couldn't find a lion so I cooked her some Reindeer instead.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Cynic - it is a contraction of 'Mothering Sunday' a Christian festival, where you throw your mammy in with a lion or summat. I couldn't find a lion so I cooked her some Reindeer instead.

I think that's what Wolfie was getting at :D
Obviously there's probably some underlying Pagan festival like all the other stolen festivals...

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 05:45 AM

I think that's what Wolfie was getting at :D
Obviously there's probably some underlying Pagan festival like all the other stolen festivals...

[Warning Contains Dangerous Ideas]

No it is Mothering Sunday, or Mid-Lenten Sunday, or Refershment Sunday. The whole purpose of it was that all staff had a day off to go a-mothering, that is to return to their mother church that day. The mother church was either the local cathedral or other principal church. A side effect of this was that people would visit their families as it was one of the rare occassions that everyone was given a day off at the same time.

It was called Mothering Sunday as firstly it always is a Sunday and secondly the process of going to your main church was to go a-mothering. Hence the term. But now it has been hijacked by Clintons and hollowed out into a corporate gimick, you can now even get happy mother's day nan cards. Sigh.

Either way you sould all eat simnal cake as it is tradition.

I don't think it is a pagan hi-jacked one this time splogy. Easter is fixed on when the Passover occurs, which is mased on lunar/solar cycles. Lent is a fixed period before Easter so Mothering Sunday is also.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 05:49 AM
No it is Mothering Sunday, or Mid-Lenten Sunday, or Refershment Sunday. The whole purpose of it was that all staff had a day off to go a-mothering, that is to return to their mother church that day. The mother church was either the local cathedral or other principal church. A side effect of this was that people would visit their families as it was one of the rare occassions that everyone was given a day off at the same time.

Yeah that's essentially what I thought you meant.

Fair enough, but isn't easter's placement based on the feast of the goddess Eostre?

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Fair enough, but isn't easter's placement based on the feast of the goddess Eostre?

Yes and no. The name of the season Easter is taken directly from the feasts for Eostre, and they did happen to occur at similiar times, but the placement is down to Jewish traditions which superceed those Germanic conditions.

The placement of Easter/Passover occurs the First Sunday (Saturday) after the First Full moon after the spring equinox, as such it was probably marked quite often as a year marker and would have had a lot of celeberations coincident around that time.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Well you could argue xmas isn't exactly on the solstice but uses the birth of Mithras, but still it's there around existing celebrations in order to take advantage of it...

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Christmas or the nativity I think that that date was soley chosen because of the pre-Christian associations with the solistice, indeed the birth wasn't celebrated really until hundreds of years after the fact. There are some who argue that the annuciation (where Mary was told) was a fixed date in the Jewish year (I can't recall which) and so 9 months later they have mid December. I remain unconvinced.
There is a historical prescident of superceeding previous celebrations with new ones, indeed one only has to look at the temple on the mount to see this being so, first a jewish temple, then a mosque, then a cathedral then a mosque...
For the early church the fact that He was born, while obviously important, was less thought about than what he did and died for and this can be seen as Jevhovia Witnesses do not celebrate Christmas (watch out for this next secret Santa...).
There are also issues with the year, if he was born 0BC as assumed, then you have some historical inaccuracies as King Herod, who plotted to kill him himself died at 4BC (or this is the most commonly expected date), tehn take into account the time when the magi arrived it could put the year of birth back even further.
The thing is about the dates is that they don't really matter, and celebrating them, whenever is fine as its remembering what happened or why it happened is of more import.

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
Yeah I worked for a company owned by J/W and the office was the most un-festive place I've ever seen at xmas, But they were still very generous with time off other xmas/new year. Aren't there parts of the world that do gift giving based more around the arrival of the magi?

So they just tied them to existing feast days, which require food to be cooked for them?

Wolfshade
03-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Yeah I worked for a company owned by J/W and the office was the most un-festive place I've ever seen at xmas, But they were still very generous with time off other xmas/new year. Aren't there parts of the world that do gift giving based more around the arrival of the magi?

So they just tied them to existing feast days, which require food to be cooked for them?

Yeah, Spain for instance, they do it on the arrival of the magi, "Kings Day" as they brought presents. Gold, Myhr, Frankinstein just what every baby needs :eek:

I'm anglican, any excuse for a feast :D + wine

Psychosplodge
03-11-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm not even that, and still enjoy the excuse :D

Wildeybeast
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Hurray, more theology! Shame Wolfie has answered all the questions before I got here.

Psychosplodge
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
So I just saw this on FB

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/417599_10151517682901826_1562623699_n.jpg

AMAZING CADBURY'S CREME EGG BROWNIES!

185g unsalted butter
185g best dark chocolate
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
275g golden caster sugar
6 Cadbury’s Crème eggs cut in half.

Preheat the oven to 160C and grease a 20 cm square baking tin.
Melt the butter and dark chocolate together either in the microwave or in a bowl over boiling water.
Break 3 large eggs into a large bowl and tip in 275g golden caster sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy, like a milk shake. This can take 3-8 minutes. You will know it's ready when the mixture becomes really pale and about double its original volume.
Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the eggy mousse, and then gently fold together.
Hold a sieve over the bowl of eggy chocolate mixture and sift the cocoa and flour mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly. Gently fold in to the mixture.
Pour into the baking tin and cook for 15 minutes then take out of the over and gently press the cadburys crème egg halves into the mix, spacing them apart evenly. Put back in the over for another 5-10 minutes.
Leave to cool before removing from tin and cutting into squares.

Wolfshade
03-18-2013, 05:18 AM
I brought creme eggs ready for this ^^

I had something dreadfully colonial this weekend. Bacon Pancake and Maple syrup.

It was very nice, yet also very bizar, the textures are kind of weird and I find it hard to get my head round having savoury and sweet together.

In other good news the mixture is almost identical to yorkshire pudding mix :)

Psychosplodge
03-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Almost? I've always made pancake batter the same as yorkshire pudding batter, one just gets fried instead of going in the oven...

You must post pics of your creme egg brownie attempt

Wolfshade
03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
I will do.
My Pancake receipe has butter in it where as my Yorkies do not.

Psychosplodge
03-18-2013, 05:41 AM
how weird.

Wolfshade
03-18-2013, 05:47 AM
A friend did it with Screme eggs (the ones with a green yolk) but the mixture seemed to boil off, so I'm not sure how it will work.

Psychosplodge
03-18-2013, 05:50 AM
I don't remember screme eggs at all... O_O

eldargal
03-18-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't like creme eggs, little flavour and terrible sugar burn.

Kirsten
03-18-2013, 07:01 AM
I had something dreadfully colonial this weekend. Bacon Pancake and Maple syrup.

you need to add sausage and cayenne pepper to that, mmmmmm

Wolfshade
03-18-2013, 08:10 AM
you need to add sausage and cayenne pepper to that, mmmmmm

Fnarr! Sausage

What sort of sausage? Cumberland, Lincolnshire, Chilli and Tomato?

Psychosplodge
03-18-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't think I'll ever get savoury pancakes though.

Mr Mystery
03-18-2013, 08:28 AM
I've taken to making hummus. Strictly speaking it's not cooking I know, but it's dead tasty and really easy.

Tin of chickpeas, lemon juice, clove of garlic, paprika, olive oil, tahini/sesame oil, salt and pepper.

Chuck it all in, and blitz in a blender or use a hand blender.

Ideal snack food!

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 05:18 AM
Well, it's Sunday, and that means a day for farting about in the Kitchen making stuff ready for the week.

I'm about to head to the butchers to get some porky goodness for Sausages, and perhaps other things that tickle my fancy. Plus I'll be making a loaf of bread (granary today I think), dough for pizzas, and naturally some Brownies, because being good all the time is lame!

And soon, as in just after payday (week Tuesday) I will own a yoghurt maker. Not terribly expensive (around £20) and doesn't take up much room. And it will allow me to make curry from about as scratch as you can without growing the veg or farming the meat yourself. Hurrah! In short, my bum is likely to put Chaos theory to a rigorous testing in May, as I live on tasty, delicious numnum curries for the best part of a month! Oh yes! You better believe it! Bored of in the jar curry sauces. Mastered adding to them ages ago. I still have a list of species from Janet, and the spice shop remains just up the road!

Plus I can just make yoghurt for you know, eating yoghurt for brekkie.

How about you kitchen chums? What you up to in your kitchens?

eldargal
04-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Try brown sugar brownies, nice change from chocolate. Hmm now I feel like some 'merican diner style food. Philadelphia cheese steaks or something. To the kitchenmobile!

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
I dunno man. I've got some delightful 85% cocoa chocolate in the fridge...

Never heard of brown sugar brownies.

eldargal
04-14-2013, 05:58 AM
Who you calling a man, man.:p

I had brown sugar brownies at a lovely diner in Kentucky I think it was last time I was in the former colonies. Father had an urge to travel the Bourbon trail.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 06:12 AM
I'm calling you a man, man :p in a gender neutral way!

Sounds interesting. Will see if I can find a suitable recipe.

eldargal
04-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Doing a quick google there are a lot of brown sugar brownies but the ones that look the closest (Dark and caramel) to what I consumed would be these (http://www.alidaskitchen.com/2011/09/brown-sugar-brownies.html).

Phototoxin
04-14-2013, 06:22 AM
So does that make you Miss Mystery in a neutral way ? :p

I've just had reheated pizza after last nights pizza, ice cream, tea, coke zero, warm sake, megaman 3 and anime slounge since it was such a sucky day.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 07:16 AM
I guess so!

But Coke Zero? What's wrong with diet coke? :p

Right, porky goodness procured, nearly time to make sausages! And two lots of dough (one for bread, one for pizza bases) and Brownies. Also got some pizza toppings ready for the week. But tonight! More Macaroni Cheese!

Deadlift
04-14-2013, 09:38 AM
I don't think I'll ever get savoury pancakes though.

The Pancake house in Centre Parcs near Longleat have some odd toppings, full English breakfast, chilli and pepperoni are a few I have tried over the years and they are not bad. Chilli one with cheese and sour cream is my favorite but then I don't like sweet things much. My kids usually have the one covered in chocolate sauce ice cream and Maltesers. The mrs goes for Banoffi. We go every year around Christmas and I usually lose half a stone in preparation :o

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
There's a Waffle Van at my usual LARP event. Bit odd. Seriously tasty, but not what I'd call a proper breakfast!

This year I will take cured sausages with me, and cook me own brekkers!

Deadlift
04-14-2013, 10:20 AM
You have me tempted to try my own sausages I have to say, some of your posts in this thread have had my mouth watering more than once.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Pork, sage, pepper, nutmeg and some breadcrumbs. Lovely!

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 01:18 PM
And today's tea was Macaroni Cheese.

Not quite as successful as the first. I blame the not butter I used. Proper butter again next time.

Deadlift
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
And today's tea was Macaroni Cheese.

Not quite as successful as the first. I blame the not butter I used. Proper butter again next time.

My kids love mac & cheese, I started experimenting with different cheeses. So far they like is a combo of Red Leicester and strong cheddar. I usually bung in some good ham to keep the boy happy as he is like me and a bit of a carnivore.

Wolfshade
04-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Psh living on curries for a month. 2nd & 3rd year uni I only ate curries, or foods that had been curried.

Winning!

Phototoxin
04-14-2013, 06:45 PM
I guess so!

But Coke Zero? What's wrong with diet coke? :p

Tastes of dried tau head flap. I'm more of a Pepsi Max man but PapaJohns is Coke based.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 11:54 PM
My kids love mac & cheese, I started experimenting with different cheeses. So far they like is a combo of Red Leicester and strong cheddar. I usually bung in some good ham to keep the boy happy as he is like me and a bit of a carnivore.

I just bung in a bit of chopped onion. Adds a pleasing zing to it.