PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Armor Aeronautica Dreadclaw question

Lord Krungharr
01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I found this review of the new Forgeworld Flyer book:

http://skulkers-surprise.blogspot.com/2 ... utica.html

See what he says about the Dreadclaw:

"Worst unit – DreadClaw

It’s a drop pod, its not a drop pod, its a flyer, its a mess. It’s cheap, it lets you deep strike in a dreadnaught or a squad of chaos marines but I just don’t like it. The only benefit is it’s an assault vehicle. The mainly problems I have are its a fast attack choice, not a dedicated transport, it has no guns, not even a combi-bolter and it can mishap, no rules to prevent it from scattering like a marine drop pod. It just doesn’t seem to do what its meant to be doing. Just not for me."

How can this be the worst unit if it's a deepstriking assault vehicle, like a Lucius pattern drop pod for Chaos? Any input from people who have the book?

Nabterayl
01-07-2013, 03:19 AM
Well, the Assault Vehicle attribute is ambiguous. We've heard from a couple independent sources that Forge World intended the Dreadclaw to arrive turn 1 like a space marine drop pod (albeit without an inertial guidance system) that allows assaults the turn it arrives for any passengers (like a Lucius, only better), and can take off afterwards and act like a normal Flyer (Hover). That is one way to read the rules that were actually written. It isn't the only way to read them, though. How good the Dreadclaw is depends, in my opinion, on which interpretation one's group adopts. If it's the way I first described, honestly, I think it's a great addition to the Chaos arsenal, IGS or no.