PDA

View Full Version : Help fleshing out tourney chaos

Vexxnoir
10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Hello, have a local tourney coming up at the 1750 points level and need some advice.
First i was thinking of going with two deamon princes with mark of slaanesh and lash of submisson. Along with them id take 6 obliterators and a vidicator. What else would go well noise marines or pkague marines [ i have plenty of each].
Also should i go mechnized in rhinos, or just spend those points on more guys. Normal i play non-competitive so whatever help can be given would be welcomed.

On another note i do also have 2 land raiders and someone mentioned a Land raider rush army....whats that about.

Thanx

RocketRollRebel
10-19-2009, 11:15 AM
melta toting plague marines in rhinos would be the more competitive of the two. If you are going for competitiveness then I'd defiantly suggest that you mech up. MEQ armies preform the best when they have lots of mobility and a nice metal bunker to keep them safe while they get where they need to go.

Grimwar
10-21-2009, 06:52 AM
Rhinos give options and cover to troops to help them survive from fire where their armor would fail them. Cant shoot what you cant see, which makes min/maxing melta plague squads rougher hiding behind dead rhinos or firing two meltas from the top hatch. Even the act of pinching two rhinos together and charging orks in a tight "hallway" gives you the number advantage.

If lash fails because of people picking to go to ground, you can always tank shock things to nudge them into a bundle to blast. Remember only models that are forced to move are the ones in the way when the model stops in the middle of their unit. In fact I think it works better then lash because nobody see's it coming until its too late. Also works when anti-psyker stuff is in effect.

I'm a rhino lover, lots of ways to go about using and abusing their tank-like charms.

2 Princes, Vindicator maybe possessed to avoid stun/shakes, 3-ish units of 5 or 6 plague marines with pair meltas inside rhinos and the 5 or 6 oblits taking up the rest. More rhinos = more move and shoot cover for the oblits. Its almost pointless taking them if you cant be absolutely sure they will have cover to abuse. That comes in the form of bringing your own cover - rhinos.

GrandReaper
10-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I don't understand everyone's desire to have 40k played with only 6-10 different army lists. Double Lash/Oblit/Plague marine is so uncreative it defies description. Do something (anything) else, please!

Chumbalaya
10-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't understand everyone's desire to have 40k played with only 6-10 different army lists. Double Lash/Oblit/Plague marine is so uncreative it defies description. Do something (anything) else, please!

If the Chaos Codex wasn't so terrible we wouldn't have this problem. As-is, it's the best you can make out of it, the proverbial lemonade.

I'd go for Nurgle Princes for the T6. T5 is too easily taken out by weapons like lasguns and heavy bolters. Add in Warp Time and he's one beefy fella.

Plague Marines in Rhinos are the go to unit, maybe add Lesser Daemons for some cheap fodder or objective holders.

MajorSoB
10-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Agreed.

May I ask what is you intent when playing in this tourney? Are you there to have fun or just wreck house?

Fun but solid-
Play a Nurgle based list. 3 blocks of troops in rhinos, maybe some vindicators, Nurgle princes, termies with MoN, possibly a dready, a greater deamon for flavor,... stay away from lesser deamons ( T4, 5+ save), not worth the cost.

WAOC-
2 lash princes, 9 oblits ( cause 6 just aint enough) 2-3 plague marines in rhinos, alot of energy drinks to wake you and your opponent up when you bore them to death....

Play what you like but expect the last list to get shut down by Eldar list and plasma cannon guard lists featuring executioners. Its your choice.

Confuddled
10-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Just to chime in – at 1750, you might want to go with Sorcerors of Slaanesh with the Lash instead.

1) Its not as if you were planning on charging with them, were you?! ;)

2) Unless you’re fielding really creatively-modelled mini-me versions of a Daemon Prince, Princes do tend to draw uncomfortable amounts of fire…

Or you could go with a compromise…
4 Obliterators, Sorceror of Slaanesh with Lash, 2 units of mechanised Plague Marines.
Fill up the rest of your list with random stuff that catches your fancy –
A Vindicator, 2 squads of 3 Terminators with combi-weapons and two 8-strong Daemon packs should bring you to 1750.

You keep an effective core of units but add a little more variety to your list, giving you more options.

Ivarr
10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
If the Chaos Codex wasn't so terrible we wouldn't have this problem. As-is, it's the best you can make out of it, the proverbial lemonade.

I'd go for Nurgle Princes for the T6. T5 is too easily taken out by weapons like lasguns and heavy bolters. Add in Warp Time and he's one beefy fella.

Plague Marines in Rhinos are the go to unit, maybe add Lesser Daemons for some cheap fodder or objective holders.

Is this post a joke? This codex gives you the best basic troops in the game aside from maybe Grey Hunters. Try a couple squads of 20 basic chaos marines with a bit of decent support. This codex has a lot to offer that is competitive. It is by no means terrible.

Chumbalaya
10-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Is this post a joke? This codex gives you the best basic troops in the game aside from maybe Grey Hunters. Try a couple squads of 20 basic chaos marines with a bit of decent support. This codex has a lot to offer that is competitive. It is by no means terrible.

20 man CSM Squads...brilliant.

The Chaos Codex is a failure not just because of the horrible desecration of 20 years of background, but also because it's just a poorly balanced waste of paper. Every slot has 1, maybe 2, maybe 0 worthwhile units.

HQ: Prince, maybe Kharn.
Elites: Dread, Termies, Chosen (all situational and equally iffy)
Troops: Plague Marines, Berzerkers
Fast: lolwut
Heavy: Oblits

It's competitive enough, when you bring the only good build. Compare it to the SM or IG books, where you pretty much can't go wrong. A travesty.

Back to the OP: If you're gonna Lash, use Sorcs. T5 Princes are just too easy to knock out.

RogueGarou
10-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, I think the Chaos Codex has some pretty nice Fast Choices but a lot of people tend to disagree. Two friends have tried my suggestions and been happy with them. First, Raptors with Slaanesh Icon. Initiative 5 is nice because you can strike before most troopers. Same reason I would say to take some Noise Marines, preferably in a Rhino, and if you have the points, tack on some Sonic Blasters, maybe a Blastmaster, and tool up your Aspiring Champion. I have had some success placing a Slaaneshi Lord with the squad for extra fun. Every hit you don't have to take is a good thing. The second Fast Attack choice I like in the Codex is bikers. Give them an Icon of Nurgle for the Toughness 6 or maybe Slaanesh for the improved Initiative.

From the sound of things, though, you only have a few days to get a force together and you need troops. Going with either Nurgle or Slaanesh troopers will do some good things for you. If you want to Assault then the Noise Marines will strike before most troops and if you give them Sonic Blasters, Blastmasters and Sirens, they have a lot of assault weapons to soften up a unit prior to charging them. They are just as vulnerable as regular Chaos Marines and can get into trouble in close combat since they are Fearless, though. The Plaguers will have a better toughness and Feel No Pain but they will be going after most troops and you will have to endure power weapons attacks as well as normal weapons before getting to strike with your own diseased hits.

Some people are cool with going after the enemy swings, some people would rather swing first. Feel No Pain is not so tough to get around with all of the Battle Cannons and Plasma Cannons, as well as Meltaguns, floating around in my local area so I have to agree that having some mobile cover in the form of Rhinos is very much needed. Plus, a lot of times, a Rhino will not draw the attention of a squad of foot slogging Plague Marines. Even when the opponent knows what is is riding inside the APC, when they look over the battlefield, they pay less attention to the Rhino. Also, in my experience, a squad of Noise Marines draws less fire than a squad of Plague Marines. Most people seem to see them as a more deadly threat and want to blast the Nurgle Marines into Kibbles N Bits even while they are taking withering fire from the Noise Marines. The reputation of the Death Guard is such that they are quite feared. You might even take some of each depending on your available points. Two squads of Plague Marines to draw fire while your Emperor's Children tear into the heart of the enemy.

I am not a fan of the Lash list, myself. I have faced them and not been impressed. If you are set on a Lash list, have a backup plan, especially with the Daemon Princes being your Lashing models. They are going to die if the other player has any sense. As pointed out before, they can't hide as well as a Sorceror and will only have Toughness 5. They will be outranged and outgunned. They will take too much fire and if that is your only plan to win, you may have problems when that 300 or so points is pulled off the table.

DarkLink
10-28-2009, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't complain (though I know you will anyways, chaos players always do:p)

Grey knights get this:
1. Terminators
2. Basic Grey Knights
3. Land Raiders
4. Dreadnoughts (which will hardly be taken, since you need points for Land Raiders and Bodies).

None of the Inquisition stuff is any good. Thank God we get allies.

Lerra
10-28-2009, 11:13 PM
The dual lash list is strong, but if you're going to a small local tournament, sometimes a less popular list is better. Why? A lot of your opponents have played against dual lash a hundred times. They know all its strengths, weaknesses, and how to beat it with their army. If you can find a list that is .5 degrees less competitive, but is less common, you may do better because your opponents don't know how to handle it.