PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendations on a clamp-on desk magnifying desk lamp

LtDan
01-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations on a clamp-on desk magnifying lamp to use to help when painting my WH40K minis. I think it would help my aging eyes to be able to see the detail on these things! Does anyone have a favorite brand or supplier that they use?

It seems most of them are 2-3X magnification... I wonder if that will be enough?

Something like this maybe:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Lighting-and-Decor-Magnifying/dp/B0000SWL4U

Painting my Dark Vengeance guys now, experimenting with the Helbrute. He's going to look like the warp touched him pretty hard by time he's done.... :eek: Still, very fun to paint and a nice mini.

Thanks!

Dan

DWest
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
2x should be enough, much higher and you risk losing your frame of reference and smashing the brush into the model. A 3x will make a detail brush look like a magic marker and a shoulder pad look like a Terminator base. Be sure to get one with a strong, sturdy clamp though. I found out the hard way a clamp can be weak enough to fail and yet strong enough to make the lamp head smack my model across the room and give me a fat lip.