PDA

View Full Version : Index Astartes

Blackcloud6
01-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Is it worth getting the four volumes of the Indexes Astartes?

Wolfshade
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Whilst I would love to have them on my shelves and thumb through them it all depends on what you are like. With us 40k fans being a bit geeky, the information is probably available on-line from the lexicanium and other wikis.

There are also concerns over what has been retconned as well.

el_tigre
01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Just re-read them recently and they're still very entertaining, though it makes me kind of nostalgic for the old white-dwarf that was full of things to, you know, read. Some of the best background stuff they've ever produced I think, so if that's your thing it's definetly worth a go.

Eberk
01-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Depends on the price... or your own budget off course.

Their value during games/battles is nihil. The few army list additions and rules found in them are either outdated or just plain unusable. (Are those rules even legal at the moment ? They were written in 4th edition... or was it third ?)

Their fluff/background value is great. Nice background stories about how the Primarchs lived and the Emperor found them, how the legions fight, their doctrines, etc... Very nice. Even some other chapters/units get an article (Flesh Tearers, Chaplains,...)

Basicly they are a great addition to a collectors book collection.

Blackcloud6
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Thanks much. This was the part i was wondering about:

Their value during games/battles is nihil. The few army list additions and rules found in them are either outdated or just plain unusable. (Are those rules even legal at the moment ? They were written in 4th edition... or was it third ?)

But they still may be fun to have just for the background.

Mr Mystery
01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Just re-read them recently and they're still very entertaining, though it makes me kind of nostalgic for the old white-dwarf that was full of things to, you know, read. Some of the best background stuff they've ever produced I think, so if that's your thing it's definetly worth a go.

yet came at a time when people were slagging WD off for a lack of content.....

Psychosplodge
01-03-2013, 07:59 AM
yet came at a time when people were slagging WD off for a lack of content.....

It was the closest thing to content WD had for a long time, but most of them are a collection of existing material grouped together in one place. Very few had anything new.

RGilbert26
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I own all four and heard that the 4th one is the rarest. Not sure how much each one goes for or as a set.

Denzark
01-04-2013, 03:38 AM
People on ebay try and flog IV at up to £99. I am not convinced all the rules are totally unusable and if nothing else, the army FOC differences between chapter, may be good for home games.

Blackcloud6
01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Seems to me these are worth having in a general knowledge sense and for the story background. So if I can pick them out for decent prices it would be worth doing so, but not something to pay through the nose for. Thanks to everyone for responding.