PDA

View Full Version : Whirlwind Options?

ElectricPaladin
01-02-2013, 12:42 AM
My awesome mother-in-law got me a whirlwind for the holidays! Since I'm pretty sold on the rumors that in the new codex this will be main space marine anti-aircraft option - yay! However, I have a question about assembling the thing:

The missile rack comes with two different options - five small missiles or two big missiles. Is there a mechanical difference between the two? I was under the impression that the standard whirlwind can fire either kind of missile - and in all likelihood, the anti aircraft whirlwind will simply add a third option, rather than being a separate form of wargear to purchase. Is the difference purely cosmetic, or is there some reason to bother magnetizing the missile rack?

lobster-overlord
01-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Build it with one of each to emphasize the dual nature of the payload delivery if offers.

I've never met one person who's ever called party-foul on a Whirlwind not having the right missiles to fire for any given turn.

Wolfshade
01-02-2013, 03:29 AM
I think it has to be cosmetic afterall, there is nothing that says what each type of missile looks like.
Imagine next time you are playing and a friend fires krak and then frag missiles from a missile laucnher then you point out that the missile loaded looks the same so isn't wysiwyg.

I think if someone does call foul play on it it tells you all you need to know about them really....

I think I prefer the larger missiles myself, though I have been giving some consideration to converting up a rhino with the typhoon missile rack, but that hasn't left my head yet.

I think the Whirlwind is often overlooked as an Heavy choice.

Cpt Codpiece
01-02-2013, 05:47 AM
I think it has to be cosmetic afterall, there is nothing that says what each type of missile looks like.
Imagine next time you are playing and a friend fires krak and then frag missiles from a missile laucnher then you point out that the missile loaded looks the same so isn't wysiwyg.

you know this makes me laugh, people freaked out about the 3rd missile when the rumors of 6th hit...... yet for two editions of 40k marines have had all 3 missiles on the sprue that comes with the launcher. WYSIWYG is covered by putting that on your model :)

but anyway, as everyone has said. i would not worry about it. its obvious that it fires missiles (oh look a rhino with a huge missile rack on top, i wonder what it does :))

maybe have one of each like lobster said, that seems like a smart idea.

Chris*ta
01-02-2013, 10:44 AM
iirc, the Whirlwind had to choose between the two missile types (Castellan and Vengeance, right?) when you put it in your army list in the previous SM Codex and it's only recently that you got both types for free (presumably to encourage someone to take an unpopular Codex option.

The model was made ages ago, so has the two missile types and I think they specified which was which too.

Assuming that the new Codexes do give you all 3 options on the Whirlwind, you can put whatever missiles on your Whirlwind that you like.

I'd personally vote against having six of one and a half dozen of the other (well, five of one and two of the other) but try dryfitting it and if you like it, do it.

Wolfshade
01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
The model was made ages ago, so has the two missile types and I think they specified which was which too.

I've only got the previous model, having got round to getting the new one. I was going to get a supression apocalyptic formation (3 whirlwinds + spotter land speeder) but never got round to it and now they don't seem to have them.

Cpt Codpiece
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
in fairness the OP was more of an opinion thing, cosmetics over practicality kind of thing.

ElectricPaladin
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Say what?

Looking at my "Latest Started Threads" link in my profile, my most recent threads include:

• This thread.
• Several list critique threads.
• A discussion thread about how to play Blood Angels in 6th Edition.
• A discussion thread about the best tactical use of the land speeder storm.
• A discussion thread about how to take best advantage of assault marines.
• A thread requesting advice about how to paint white cloaks.
• A thread for a transfer sheet that I created and hosted online for an order of the Sisters of Battle.

What have you contributed to this message board, DHeese810?

Even if your comment was appropriate - which it's not, by the way, it's unkind and trollish - you don't actually have a leg to stand on. Shut up, make yourself a contributing member of the community, and if someone starts a thread you don't find interesting, stay the hell out of it.

Nabterayl
01-02-2013, 10:31 PM
The missile rack comes with two different options - five small missiles or two big missiles. Is there a mechanical difference between the two?
There is not at present. In fact, the 5x2 and 2x2 patterns of WMML do not correspond to any named pattern that I'm aware of. As of this moment, surface-to-air Whirlwind launchers are depicted as either 10x2 or 3x2. Of course, it's always possible that the Dark Angels codex will surprise us by designating either the 2x2 or 5x2 a dedicated anti-air weapon.

bloodangel 83
01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
I have one whirlwind for my army and i when with the 2 and 5 missiles on it just to change up the look b/c every other ones all had one or the other. Again it does not state which is which so it comes down to how do you want your whirlwind to look. Charlie

Wolfshade
01-03-2013, 03:07 AM
I want at least another 2 whirlwinds. I don't feel happy unless I can completely spam every option choice in each slot...

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
OoOoOoOo... [REMOVED BY THE INQUISITION]!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand banned!

DarkLink
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Aww, I missed the drama.

and in all likelihood, the anti aircraft whirlwind will simply add a third option

Actually, given the CSM codex GW apparently fails to understand how imbalanced the flyer rules are, and will likely make the anti-air option over priced, mutually exclusive to the other options, and overall ineffective at actually killing flyers. You can always hope, though. Whirlwinds are pretty decent now, though, particularly at sniping squad leaders thanks to Barrage, so I don't think it will be hard to fit into your lists.

matus
01-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Is it possible games workshop will go down the route of bringing back the hunter SAM tank, rather than going down the forge world whirlwind Hyperios tank route?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1110025&_requestid=23 61795

Vs

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/WHIRLWIND-HYPERIOS-COMPLETE-KIT.html

The Hyperios missiles seem to be represented by a forest of smaller missiles and rules wise used to be a complete swap for the normal surface to surface missiles.
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA2update28AUG.pdf