PDA

View Full Version : Land Speeder Storm

ElectricPaladin
01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
I just got a land speeder storm from my awesome mother-in-law. Come to me, BoLSers, and educate me in its use!

In particular...

• What's the best tactical use of this vehicle?
• What's the best loadout for the vehicle?
• What's the best loadout for the scouts inside?

And, of course, anything else you want to tell me. Thanks in advance.

walrusman999
01-02-2013, 12:22 AM
Um, just guessing since I haven't looked at the storm recently and never really pondered using it. I would say its use would be to move scouts around the battlefield and provide support fire for them. Depending on if you can field demolition scouts or not but I would probably say field them with snipers and have them hold points. If you can get them with melta-bombs, melta-guns, or demolition charges you probably could use them for vehicle hunting. And the storm loadout should compliment the scouts most likely, melta for tank hunting and heavy bolter for snipers. Just use the speed of the speeder to keep it alive and the scouts from dieing. Hope this helps a little.

Houghten
01-02-2013, 12:32 AM
It it required that before building the Storm you must spend precisely one hour - no more, no less - glaring at it in resentment for taking up a valuable Fast Attack slot instead of being a Dedicated Transport.

After that's done, I personally like to ignore its transport capacity entirely in favour of using it as a Locator Beacon delivery system. Five Scouts aren't going to do much wherever you transport them, but ten Terminators...

Um, just guessing since I haven't looked at the storm recently and never really pondered using it. I would say its use would be to move scouts around the battlefield and provide support fire for them. Depending on if you can field demolition scouts or not but I would probably say field them with snipers and have them hold points. If you can get them with melta-bombs, melta-guns, or demolition charges you probably could use them for vehicle hunting.Do you usually play Imperial Guard?

Phototoxin
01-02-2013, 04:59 AM
You could use it as support or for trying to cripple an enemy tank/parking lot. They have krak grenades, the sgt can have meltabombs or a powerfist.
Alternatively use them to support another assault element in your army so that they can benefit from the cerberus assault launcher.
As for weapons stick with the heavy bolter or else go flamer - BS 3 isn't really worth spending points to upgrade stuff.

And yes the locator beacon is good!

ElectricPaladin
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
What about the kind of scouts to go inside?

At the moment, I have five scouts with sniper rifles, four with boltguns, one with a missile launcher, and all with camo cloaks. Normally, I combat squad them, and use Infiltrate to deploy them reactively in my zone, or in terrain somewhere contested. They usually camp and control objectives, and I try to keep enemy units from getting too close.

Are either of these mini-squads well-equipped for a storm? Or should I go with more of a commando unit: bolt pistol, combat knife, and power fist on the sergeant?

walrusman999
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Do you usually play Imperial Guard?

Yes indeed, I have Space marines as well, Doom Eagles chapter, but I'm currently not playing them nearly as much as my IG. And like I said, I never even considered playing the Storm because it really doesn't have much potential when I could get a group of normal land speeders instead for one slot of Fast attack.

plasticaddict
01-02-2013, 10:51 PM
On mine I equip one with a Heavy Flamer, Scouts being BS 3 sucks so I really like the flamer. I usually run a 5 man unit of 4 shotguns and a combi-melta/power fist Sgt. Hold it in Reserve and outflank, I can usually get it onto something that needs burning and then the next turn I'll dismount the scouts and send them after an objective holing enemy unit.