PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the Sisters with Heavy Bolters?

Blackcloud6
12-30-2012, 08:07 AM
As I work up my Sisters order I ponder how to best organize them. (Please note, the only Army I have played is Orks.) Where is the best place for the Sister with a Heavy Bolter? In the Battle Sister Squad or in the Retributor Squad? It seems to me that the HB in the Battle Sister Squad may not be a good idea as it may slow the squad down or it becomes useless if the squad has to run forward. Right now I am leaning to building a Retributor Squad with all heavy Bolters to be a Support by Fire Unit. They can ride in an Immolator is my thinking.

With Ork Boyz I have found that the heavy weapons in a plain squad don't get used as much as I thought as the Boyz usually run to close with the enemy. I am not sure if this same thinking will apply tot he Sisters but I don't think a heavy weapon may be smart in the Troops unit.

What are your thoughts on Sisters organization?

Thanks in advance.

Aegwymourn
12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Well it depends how the unit fits within your overall army and battleplan. Also remember that Sisters is primarily a shooting army. So most of the time after the first or second turn of maneuvering you will be holding your ground shooting. Also heavy bolters are cheap and pair up nicely with bolters (they are both anti-infantry) so you dont have to worry about wanting to shoot the whole squad at a tank just for the multi-melta shot.

Really experience will be the best teacher for determining which weapons you want in each squad. Just remember if you are running test lists to not get to down on losing because you will be learning valuable lessons each time. I lost the first 3 games of 6th with my Tau, but in November went 2nd place in our local Tourney.

Iyandagar
12-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Pretty much depends on the rest of your force and unit roles. Remember in 6th taking heavy weapons in troop slots isn't too bad especially as if you are using a 10 woman squad of Sisters to sit on an objective or hold back a turn or two, being a large unit size you can move them around to suit and not necessarily move the HB toting Sister and therefore she can remain pumping shots out at full BS. I don't usually bother as when I run my Nuns with Guns I prefer to field a couple of cheap unadorned squads as either objective sitters or tarpit units designed to slow enemy advances down, usually so my Exorcists can vittle the Granny out of stuff accordingly.

ElectricPaladin
12-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I think heavy weapon sisters are meant to camp. Deploy them in a ruin on your half of the board, have them sit in cover and take all the shots they can. Don't move them unless you have to.

It's worth it to buy them a transport, but make it an immolator, since you probably won't buy more than five retributors anyway. Give the immolator a complimentary weapon, like a heavy bolter for heavy bolter retributors. It can park near them and block LoS and charge lanes, and should it be necessary, the sisters can pile into it and charge off to contest an objective or find a new vantage point.

JMichael
12-30-2012, 12:38 PM
It can also really depend on what army you are facing.
For me I always have a squad of Retributors with 4 Heavy Bolters. Their Act of Faith to make them Rending is not to be underestimated!
Personally I keep a squad of 6-10 with a Simulacrum Imperialis to ensure I get that rending when I most need it.
Even if you do need to reposition them, 12 snap fire Hvy Bolters is nothing to shake a stick at!

Currently I'm putting Multi-Meltas with my Battle Sisters as a 'just in case' and they at least give my opponents pause when moving that Rhino within 24" of the squad.