PDA

View Full Version : Magnus and Ahriman: Who's Working for Tzeentch, and Who's Trying to Thwart Him?

The Sovereign
12-27-2012, 10:53 PM
So I'm pretty up on the Thousand Sons fluff, but it's still not quite clear to me who is working to carry out the will of Tzeentch, and who is trying to thwart him? Magnus, while harboring a lot of ill will toward the Space Wolves, doesn't seem to be particularly antagonistic toward his father the Emperor or the rest of the Imperium. In the Black Library books, he often resists the will of Tzeentch, too.

Similarly, Ahriman's Rubric spell was meant to cure his legion of Tzeentch's "gifts" of mutation. In the Black Library books, he also seems to resist the temptations/schemes of Tzeentch.

Yet Tzeentch was somehow named the patron god of the Thousand Sons somewhere in all of that background story, and Ahriman and Magnus are also currently at odds with each other because of the Rubric. It's a little confusing as to which is the traitor who should be embracing Tzeentch, and which is the loyalist-turned-reluctant-traitor working to thwart Tzeentch's will?

Moros
12-28-2012, 01:52 AM
What you fail to see is that all follow Tzeentch... will has nothing to do with it

Colonel Bindoff
12-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Schemes within schemes, plots within plots. Never assume one of the servants of tzeentch does anything at face value. Same goes for women.

Wildeybeast
12-28-2012, 06:13 AM
. It's a little confusing as to which is the traitor who should be embracing Tzeentch, and which is the loyalist-turned-reluctant-traitor working to thwart Tzeentch's will?

I think you answered your own question. It's deliberately ambiguous and I think will always remain so.

Cpt Codpiece
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
magnus was pissed with ahriman because ahriman did what he could not, even at the cost of his soul.
stop the flesh change........ granted it ruined the legion apart from the truly gifted.

magnus also seems to be written as an unwilling follower (kind of like early fulgrim) of tzeench. denial of what he had done and shame at damning his sons even after the price he already paid (his eye and soul).

i find that tzeench seems to be the least 'nasty' of the pantheon, even taking the whimsical gift giving.

remember though tzeenches plans are incalculable, while magnus broods in emo style in his bedroom/tower ahriman is out learning all he can in order to redeem himself in his fathers eyes......sound familliar? the father locked away on a throne while the sone seeks forgivness? i dont think its coincidence.

Anggul
12-30-2012, 06:42 AM
I imagine they probably think they're doing it for themselves using Tzeentch's power. They are, of course, just foolish pawns, and Tzeentch is quite happy for them to think they're in control, it just makes it easier for him to have them do what he plans. A pawn that knows it's a pawn is more likely to go against your plans. Ahriman will never gain the Black Library and become a new god, but he thinks he will.

wittdooley
12-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Can I tell you tomorrow when I finish th new Ahriman book? :-D

The Sovereign
12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Can I tell you tomorrow when I finish th new Ahriman book? :-D

Ha, yeah, I'm currently reading it too, that's what planted the question in my mind. :)

mjasghar
01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Old bird face just plots for the sake of plotting - so it's possible both are serving birdie as he is known to plot against himself
It's like all the chaos powers - they are a concept without purpose whereas the emperor is like a mix of all of them but with a Purpose, namely the survival of humanity no matter the cost
So he has billions die but for an eventual good purpose whereas doggy just wants the killing

Blackcloud6
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Schemes within schemes, plots within plots. Never assume one of the servants of tzeentch does anything at face value. Same goes for women.

Heh. You must be married.