PDA

View Full Version : Guardsman Sergeant

walrusman999
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
The Guardsman Codex states that any sergeant will get his Lasgun replaced with a laspistol. I'm just confirming that thus the squad would have 9 lasguns and 1 laspistol in it before purchasing upgrades.

-Fixed a poorly worded sentence

Anggul
12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Pretty much. Goodness knows why they bother, he ought as well just have the Lasgun because that extra attack isn't going to help him much. :P

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the part about special weapons. Yeah they can take one.

RGilbert26
12-26-2012, 03:51 PM
No it doesn't - what are you on about?

DarkLink
12-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Unless you take a blob squad with more power weapon attacks than guardsmen have any right to.

Dorsai
12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
No, he carries his laspistol and CCW. You can then have one of the regular soldiers carry one special weapon (except for vets or special weapon squads, which can get three special weapons). The pistol for the sergeant is never considered the special weapon for the squad.

Colonel Bindoff
12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
The pistol for the sergeant is never considered the special weapon for the squad.

I see why you said this but I think OP knew this and just put a poor sentence together at the end.

The point here, obviously, is that a pistol and chainsword are required because the chainsword arm has the sarge's stripes on and hence enables all his little pals to know who is first against the wall when the commissar is in town. This is much more important to imperial guardsmen then having an extra rifle.

Nabterayl
12-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm just confirming that thus the squad would have 9 lasguns and 1 laspistol in it, barring purchase of any other special weapon.
I think this just means that, if a squad doesn't purchase any special weapons, it is armed with 9 lasguns and 1 laspistol - which is true.

walrusman999
12-27-2012, 11:38 PM
I think this just means that, if a squad doesn't purchase any special weapons, it is armed with 9 lasguns and 1 laspistol - which is true.

Pretty much, I needed some guys for an objective holding squad and wanted to just field a platoon with a group of guys and sit on it with the command squad. Nothing special with them just used them to hold objectives.

Colonel Bindoff
12-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Well that is indeed the basic load out. Personally I'd be tempted with Flamers for counter assault though. Only 5 points a pop after all.

Caitsidhe
12-28-2012, 09:11 AM
It would have made more sense if (and only if) the Sgt. has the ability to give an order. His close combat weapon being a symbol of rank as he pointed and gave the order. First Rank, Second Rank Fire would make the most sense. A Sgt. is basically a non-commissioned officer in most military organizations anyway. Being Games Workshop, they didn't do this. For some strange reason they just decided the leader of a unit designed primarily for shooting would want an inferior weapon. :) They are idiots. How many times do you want them to prove it?

Tynskel
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
The sgt is directing where to fire. The officers gve the orders how to fire. This is very much like US civil war.
Or British colonial troops. The sgt relay the orders from the officers and enforce the officers will.

Dorsai
12-28-2012, 01:39 PM
When I was in the U.S. army, it was the NCO's job (sergeants of all sorts) to take care of the mundane tasks. Like making sure the us grunts were tying our boots correctly, kept our weapons functional, picked up garbage, were able to march in the right direction, and things of that nature. It was the officers that made the plans, gave orders to see them carried out, and reviewed the action and intelligence.

Using this example, the IG is correct in not having NCO's, except special ones, issue orders. The orders that they would be most likely to issue would be "Incoming!", "Move! Move! Move!", and "Get back in the fight!" And this should be all the sergeants getting to issue these order to their squad. This is because this is exactly the type of thing an NCO is supposed to be worried about, leaving the officer free to select targets.