PDA

View Full Version : Here Comes A New Challenger!

Timothy Wheeler
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Just how new you ask? I started to seriously get into Warhammer 40,000 about two months ago. It went something like this:

Six years ago, on Christmas, I recieved two gifts that would bring my attention to the Warhammer 40k hobby. One was a collectible miniature wargame called Heroscape. The other was Dawn of War: Dark Crusade. Enjoying my $300 worth of Heroscape and Dawn of War, it didn't take long for me to notice Warhammer 40,000.

Three years ago I received a graduation present from my grandmother, I was 21 (got held back a lot due to the fact I get sick easily). She bought me Assault On Black Reach. I did some painting and so on but nothing serious and what I did paint...well...see for yourselves'
http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv125/LoneHero2008/Waaaagh.jpg
Was trying to paint my orks up as Deathskulls. Didn't exactly work. While I did try to paint them, I never actually played a game with them or got too into the hobby to go and seek out forums like this, however I did begin to follow various miniwargamers on YouTube such as Fritz, The Sustainable Center, MiniWargaming, AwesomePaintjob, Worthy Painting and Blue Table Painting.

Then, two months ago, I received a major gift from a family friend. Dark Vengeance (Limited Edition), 1 Box of Dark Angels Veterans, 1 Box of Sniper Scouts, 1 War40k Starter Paint Set (5 more Dark Angels there), an extra pot of Caliban Green, two brush sets and some plastic glue (called liquid cement on the bottle). In a way, my army was chosen for me, in another way I REALLY loved the look of the Dark Angels so I figured, why not?

It wasn't until recently that I discovered the DA are getting a new codex, which made me shudder since I had got the current DA Codex and already glued together my veterans and their armaments.

ANYWAY! You may call me Tim, Timmy, Timmo or Timothy. I hope to become a regular on these forums. ^_^

Pendragon38
12-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Hello and welcome to Bols it's a great place to find what you need for your army and Qs and As.
Perry

White Tiger88
12-25-2012, 10:30 PM
You need to buy some Washes to use on that Ork......

Timothy Wheeler
12-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Stripped the paint off him already. Will post whenever I paint him again. Currently working on my Dark Angels.

White Tiger88
12-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Stripped the paint off him already. Will post whenever I paint him again. Currently working on my Dark Angels.

Booo Space Monks! Mind you they should be fun to play against with the new book ;) Wehermacht DKOK FTW!

Timothy Wheeler
12-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Booo Space Monks! Mind you they should be fun to play against with the new book ;) Wehermacht DKOK FTW!

I liked the appearance. Might play Orks more often though once I get more stuff, kind of a major Orc fan. Played Orks in Dawn of War, Orcs in Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 (and the MMO), A Black Orc in Warhammer Online, an Orc Shaman in Allods Online....I think you get the picture.

Wolfshade
12-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Hello and welcome aboard :)

Timothy Wheeler
12-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I got a question:
How do you guys deal with backlash?

I have a few online friends (we're in the same guild on several MMOs) that have been treating me harshly since they've found out I'm choosing Dark Angels as my first army. They're accusing me of powergaming and cheesing even though I'm currently using the old codex and didn't know about a new codex until a week after I begun painting my Dark Angels. It's bothering me that these are friends I've had for 4 or more years, I'm not entirely sure how to deal with the situation.

Wolfshade
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Sounds like "haters gonna hate" :/

I've been playing Blood Angels since the dusts of time so every time I get a new dex one friend accuses me of power gaming.

There are a number of people who do jump on the new codex and gather a list to the local metas value, 1850-2000 pts usually and do that each time. But we all play our hobby in our own way. I tend to ignore the comments and just get on with it, talk with dice. Apparently, I need to say ones and twos...

Fizzybubela
12-31-2012, 05:09 AM
Tell them to sod off. Harsh but should work.

Godless Zealot
01-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Welcome! I'm fairly new to wargaming too. I have found this forum to be a great place to get help in starting out. :)

Iyandagar
01-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Welcome dude,

I wouldn't worry overly much, it's not like you are running a Necron or Grey Knight list... They are the uber cheese in the circles I play in...

In all seriousness though, my first army was Eldar, and I began collecting them about 15 years ago, barely played and forgot all about 40k until 2yrs ago, I have now built a good 8000point army up of Eldar still incorporating those early models too. After all it was the cool looking models that drew me to them in the first place. To be honest pretty much every model GW spits out these days has me cooing at them, that is most likely why I have 5 sizeable armies and yes I too have a Dark Angel list and am looking forward to the new codex. So long as you are having fun rocking the Dark Angels come win or lose that's all that counts.