PDA

View Full Version : Granddad

energongoodie
12-24-2012, 10:53 AM
My Granddad passed away on Friday. It was very unexpected. Yes he was old, but he was not ill and was still jam packed full of life. He was a lovely man.
My dad was killed in a car crash when I was 12 so my Granddad has been my father figure.
He taught me a lot of things. Practical stuff like decorating, gardening, being responsible with money. More importantly, he taught me a lot about helping others whenever you can. About taking responsibility for the things you do and the decisions you make.
If someone needed help, he’d be there. He was always buying gifts for people, even though he didn’t have any money. I’ve just been delivering all the presents he had already wrapped and bagged up for his neighbours and their children for Christmas.
They are all going to miss him.
The reason I am posting this is not to get people’s sympathy but remind you to enjoy your grand parents while you have them.
I got on great with my Granddad, but he liked to play the grumpy old tough guy. This some times made it hard to talk about serious, important things. All I can think about now is how I should have spent a bit more time with him, and how I should have asked him more questions. Like how he met my Nan, ask him about his time in the Desert Rats riding around in a Universal Carrier, what his hobbies were as a kid and was he proud of me. There’s so much stuff and right now I can’t work out why I never asked.

My guess is that a lot of you will be seeing your Grandparents over Christmas, if you are lucky enough to still have them. Please talk to them honestly, ask them questions, things you might not have thought about asking before. Especially tell them that you love them and give them a hug. I wish I could.

Deadlift
12-24-2012, 11:22 AM
You have my sympathys my friend.
I too was very close to my Grandfather, I was named after him (Joseph) and I was raised by my grandparents. Unfortunately my Grandfather passed away unexpectantly whilst we were on holiday together in 1989.
I hope you can still enjoy tomorrow and the season, I am sure that he would want you too.
I will raise a glass to you and your family tomorrow.
All the best,
Deadlift (Joe)

Fizzybubela
12-24-2012, 01:57 PM
You have my sympathies. My grandpa is still around at the ripe old age of 95. He was also in the Desert Rats in the Queen's Royal Irish Hussars regiment but unfortunately he now has Alzheimer's and dementia.

Mr Mystery
12-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Lost my Grandad Christmas Eve 2010.

And I am sorry to say I hadn't seen him in years. He developed dementia, and I can't deal with that :(