PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Space Marine anti-air options? help and advice please!

mallet_man
12-20-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi guys just looking for some advice on how to use the anti air choices in the CSM codex, I have been weighing up the flakk missile havocs (expensive) and daemon prince with wings, I don't have access to the heldrake right now so considering what to take as I have a game against IG 2moro most likely with vendettas any advice or what you guys have experienced as effective would be very welcome! was also considering the defence line fortification with quad gun for 100points!

Blackmonkey0
12-20-2012, 11:55 AM
The general feel is a 4xAC Havoc sqd camped in the Defence line with the Sgt on the Quad gun.
Yes you have to snap at flyers but the ACs are cheap have 2 shots and enough strength to knock off a hull point or two on any current flyers.

Tynskel
12-20-2012, 01:08 PM
You could spend a few points more for missiles...

Mr Mystery
12-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Flak Missiles seem expensive, but then they remain a highly flexible weapon.

Auto cannon are indeed cheaper, but lack the flexibility. 4 missile launchers is a tricky prospect, and have the range to threaten nearly any quarter.

So despite the expense, I'd say the overall reliability of Flak edges out the autocannon

Caitsidhe
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
You buy the Aegis w/Quad Gun. You get yourself a really cheap HQ for IG (I like the Lord Commissar myself). One platoon of IG (which will also be scoring units for you) and then you put in as many Sabre Gun Defense Platforms as you can fit in around your CSM points. Problem solved. I realize this requires allies. That is my best advice. The Codex only options are not cost effective.

Eberk
12-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Use a Havoc squad with 1 missile launcher with flakk missiles and 2 autocannons. That could work

DarkLink
12-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Take three helldrakes and an Aegis Defense line, and you probably won't have to worry about it.

Lord Krungharr
12-23-2012, 12:39 PM
The problem with Heldrakes is they can be taken down easily with glancing hits like any vehicle, plus they might not arrive when you need them, and they have trouble actually hitting anything with the Hades autocannon (the Baleflamer is so good vs Infantry too, I like that better on it). Vector Striking with the Heldrake can work sometimes but not very often, and the limited maneuverability of flyers at speed can limit those options versus other flyers.

The Flakk Missiles have worked well thus far for me, and worth the points, even if you just take 3 it's pretty effective. They hit on 3s. I'd give the Havocs Mark of Nurgle and Icon of Vengeance, so for 10 Havocs and 4 Launchers it's 295 points, but you can even lessen their numbers to 6 or 7, they'll do their damage before they all die usually. Then you can also take the autocannon Havocs, as that's a good choice too, and man the Quad Gun with them behind the Aegis Line with Icon of Vengeance. Fearless is important with their lower leadership (keep the Champion with LD9 in the back row).

Also, don't discount Obliterators as anti-flyers either. If they're in the board center, 24" assault cannon range can nail flyers very well (and rending you can get some good penetrating hits maybe). Plus, as with the Missile Havocs, the Oblits have versatility against other units as well. I've seen plenty of MEQ armies make every armor save against 8 autocannon and 4 quadgun shots.

Use Flying Daemon Princes with the Murder Sword to kill tanks and other MCs with no invul saves, or crappy invul saves, and just vector strike along the way if you can as an added bonus.

Also, consider putting the Havocs and Oblits on a Skyshield Landing Pad. Then they will be getting 4+ invuls against every shooting attack for extra durability, especially if the have the Mark of Nurgle. Oblits should have that, Havocs on the Pad might want Tzeentch instead for a 3+ invul since they have higher model counts but don't care about instant death like the Oblits care. Then without the Quad Gun, if you have the points, take that Heldrake for terror above and below.