PDA

View Full Version : Transporting DE: Battle Foam or KR Multicase?

The Sovereign
12-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Title says it all. Is there a general consensus on which will fit/protect my spiky space elves better? Your help is much appreciated.

gensu11
12-19-2012, 08:55 PM
I am sure the KR Multicase would probably be cheaper and probably be ok, but I would go with the battlefoam every time. I don't think any of the other storage options compares with regards to quality.

Emerald Rose Widow
12-19-2012, 09:00 PM
KR would cost you a ton less, but battlefoam costs as much as it does for a reason. When you have a foam case that you can kick around and beat up and the figures still be ok, you have the best. I own a battlefoam case and would swear by nothing else, it may be more expensive, but my models are safe and that is what matters

AnEnemy
12-19-2012, 11:35 PM
They both provide quality products.

You really can't go wrong with either company. It depends on your personal budget.

OrksOrksOrks
12-20-2012, 03:13 AM
KR cases are great, top quality stuff and its a great company ran by a really nice, helpful and friendly guy, which you can't say about Battlefoam.

Mr. Furious
12-20-2012, 09:36 AM
The only bad thing about battlefoam is that every time you buy a new model or a new model is released, you have to buy a new tray(or 3) and the trays end up costing as much as the new models. It gets crazy fast if you like to buy new stuff all the time. I have the GW army case with KR vehicle trays and it works out very well for whatever I need to transport.

Battlefoam's custom cut trays are second to none but be prepared to have foam stacked to the ceiling if you have or plan to have multiple armies.

schulzed
12-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I HATED having foam for my Dark Eldar. Even if the models were safe in the foam, they would constantly get stuck to the foam, what with all the spiky bits.

So, I instead got an old toolbox and some old sheet metal. I cut the metal to size and attached it to the bottom of the tool box. Using green stuff and glue, I attached magnets to the bottoms of all of my guys bases, and they stay attached to the metal. I had the toolbox and metal lying around, and bought a hundred magnets for 10-15 bucks, along with a tiny bit of green stuff. I can currently fit something like 60+ models in the box, with plenty of room to spare. If you're traveling on a plane or some such, this might not be a great method. But, so far, its worked great for me. The only issue is the Raiders, or things with flying bases. I'm still working on that problem. :P

The Sovereign
12-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info so far, guys. I'm kinda leaning toward KR's prices. Anyone know how well Kabalite Warriors fit in the troops slots of KR DE trays? The long splinter rifles can be tricky...

Also, is there an option to mix army trays if you buy a prefilled bag on the KR site (i.e. half DE, half Space Wolves)? If so, I didn't see it.

wittdooley
12-20-2012, 08:24 PM
KR cases are great, top quality stuff and its a great company ran by a really nice, helpful and friendly guy, which you can't say about Battlefoam.

Um. Yes you can. Romeo and his crew have always been nice and helpful every time I've worked with them.

wittdooley
12-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Honestly, I would avoid KR for dark elves because of how spikey they are. The KR foam is much softer than BattleFoam and as such your spikes are much more likely to snag on it.

olberon
12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I HATED having foam for my Dark Eldar. Even if the models were safe in the foam, they would constantly get stuck to the foam, what with all the spiky bits.

So, I instead got an old toolbox and some old sheet metal. I cut the metal to size and attached it to the bottom of the tool box. Using green stuff and glue, I attached magnets to the bottoms of all of my guys bases, and they stay attached to the metal. I had the toolbox and metal lying around, and bought a hundred magnets for 10-15 bucks, along with a tiny bit of green stuff. I can currently fit something like 60+ models in the box, with plenty of room to spare. If you're traveling on a plane or some such, this might not be a great method. But, so far, its worked great for me. The only issue is the Raiders, or things with flying bases. I'm still working on that problem. :P

Had the same thing with my DE and solved it like you did works great!!!
on the raider/ravager/venom or anything with flying bases problem... just magnetize the flying stems and flyer itself andthen maglock them o the base of the box. I can transport up to 8 raiders in my box and up to 80 models sticking them all over the place :P

Gir
12-20-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd go KR over battlefoam every time.

The Sovereign
12-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Honestly, I would avoid KR for dark elves because of how spikey they are. The KR foam is much softer than BattleFoam and as such your spikes are much more likely to snag on it.

This is definitely a concern, thanks.

I'd go KR over battlefoam every time.

Specific reason? Price, foam quality, etc.?

Emerald Rose Widow
12-21-2012, 01:04 AM
There is a really great method I have seen done for flying bases to make them suck less, someone at my local FLGS did this. You get some bolts from the hardware store, nothing huge, and cut the head off of it, and put the bolt inside the model with some glue/GS. You then get a bar long enough for the flying and can screw into the size bolt you have, and then put that in the flying base. The base screws on and holds so very very well. I plan to do this for all my skimmers.

schulzed
12-21-2012, 07:21 AM
Had the same thing with my DE and solved it like you did works great!!!
on the raider/ravager/venom or anything with flying bases problem... just magnetize the flying stems and flyer itself andthen maglock them o the base of the box. I can transport up to 8 raiders in my box and up to 80 models sticking them all over the place :P

I will definitely try that. I was afraid it wouldn't fit or it would look weird or something, but as long as it works, I think it'll be worth it. If the magnet makes the base look odd, I can just base it :P