PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Shrine - Market Hobby Giveaway Entry

gensu11
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
So, the timing of the Market Hobby Giveaway is pretty convenient. I have been working on my Imperial Shrine since October. Major assembly was finished around Halloween, and most of the painting was complete by Thanksgiving. Now it is just down to the details, which there are still quite a bit to get after, lights, rust effects, static grass, etc.

The Shrine and boards sit at just under 18" x 24", making it a great center piece for normal or Apocalypse games. Honestly, I built it for an Apocalypse Cities of Death board I am building. This was built out of 3 1/2 sets of the Shrine of the Aquila, along with 4 sets of the Warhammer Fantasy movement trays, which were used for floor inside the shrine, and sidewalk outside.

The Shrine is built on three separate mdf boards, allowing for modularity. Due to the modular nature of the piece, I have even thought about adding on to it with additional boards in the future, to make an even larger shrine. All the paints used were the Americana series acrylics you get at Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart. I used weathering powder for some of the damaged walls, and on the floor to give it the dusty appearance.

Let me know what you all think,

Gensu11

gensu11
12-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Rest of the pics

SotonShades
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Very very Impressive. I've only got a few very minor criticsms.

Like most people building CoD kits, you've left a good number of flat, clean edges butting up against battle damage. It is particularly evident on a couple of spots on the tiled floor (though you did one exposed bit really really well!) and on the higher level walkways. As I said, it is only a small thing, but it does detract from the overall look more than most people realise.

It'd be nice to see wrecked/ruined pews, alters and/or reliqueries, maybe a desacrated pulpit... you get the idea. Right now it just looks like it was an empty building, with only the metal eagle fronting and the window frames suggesting at anything grander. You could easilly make the wreckage as scatter terrain, especially useful with the way you can separate out the sections of the building. With the quality of the paint job, I really wouldn't suggest moedlling them in permenently now, though it might have been nice to have done so before you broke out the brushes.

Other than those couple of points, I think it is superbly executed. The paint job is really nice, especially being so consistent over such a large area. The scheme is both very distinctive and yet sits so nicely within the imagery of 40k. Very well done, sir. Do you have any more CoD stuff to go with it on your board?

gensu11
12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I was worried about the same thing as far as the interior, i.e. pews, pulpits, etc. I originally meant to build up the interior, but had to make a call concerning playable space. I have made a tomb out of the double eagle door piece from the administratum box, and it will be removable, and I have spare plasticard for pews, but haven't dived into it yet. As far as the corners for most of the floor, when I was building it I was still debating on making it even larger, so I left a lot of the floors edges straight and undamaged to potentially match up with future pieces. This is the first piece I have this close to completion. I have a 4 story building built from 40k sets, and four amera plastic buildings including the ministry building. Also looking at some of the newer MDF board buildings from gamecraft miniatures. When complete, I should have about 8-10 quality buildings. will update in the future as my projects come along. Thanks for the feedback

Amera Plastic Mouldings
12-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Looks really impressive, great attention to detail . If you would consider sharing your paintings of our buildings once completed would appreciate it, as if up to same standard as this would be very impressive! thanks Jane from Amera

gensu11
12-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Jane,
I would be glad to share them with you once complete. Might take a while though, in January I go on a 6 week business trip, and I won't probably be able to get to them until late February or March.

Amera Plastic Mouldings
12-27-2012, 08:08 AM
No problem, happy to wait, and thanks for reply. Happy for you to contact me here or message via facebook, or www.amera.co.uk much appreciated, and hope your business trip goes well Jane