PDA

View Full Version : 1500 spring league Space Wolf List

sphere830
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Greetings space hounds and war game fanatics. This is my first post here at BoLS. So, I traded my fantasy VC army that I recently painted off for a collection of older Space Wolves. I have generally played vanilla marines and orks. I'm hoping this will be an army that is a little easier to make competitive (although I've done okay with greenskins to be sure). So to the task at hand. As always, any advice will be appreciated. This will be a 1500 point list to begin with, to build and paint toward, then to decide if I'm going with a pure list or allied list. I have a small growing IG collection will help if I go with allies.

HQ:

Wolf Lord
Frost Blade; SS; Saga of the Bear; Thunderwolf

Rune Priest
terminator armor

Troops:

Grey Hunters x10
melta; plasma gun; mark of the wulfen

Grey Hunters x10
melta, plasma gun, plasma pistol
Drop Pod

Fast Attack:

5x Thunder Wolf Cavalry
SS x3; Frost Axe; melta bombs (x3)

Heavy Support:

6x Long Fangs
4x ML; Plasma Cannon

6x Long Fangs
4x ML; Plasma Cannon

Fortification:

ADL
Quad-gun

Total Points: 1500

The concept here is to be able to reach, with one unit of Grey hunters and Thunder Cav a priority target by turn two. This leaves the other GH unit to camp with Libby for defense. Libby either takes codex psyker abilities or biomancy, telekinesis depending on the enemy. The long fangs are self-evident with the new edition. Let me know what you think good or bad, competitive or just fluffy. Thanks in advance.

Scorch
12-18-2012, 03:47 PM
I've never competed before, but here are my views.

On the Lord, take a Thunder Hammer or Power fist, they'll be better at S10 and AP2. And maybe take Wolf claw necklace? (or whatever it's called) 3+ to hit in CC is always good. Also, runic armour is a good idea.

Rune priest, good there, maybe a Chooser of the Slain?

The Grey Hunters are good, but I can't recommend the Wolf Banner enough. It even works for overwatch, so it's brilliant for 10pts!

5 TWC? Maybe a bit large in my opinion... 3 has always done me well. I would take 3, giving them SS and 1 of them a thunder hammer.

Long Fangs are good. Maybe swap the second plasma cannon for a lascannon? So one is vs heavy infantry, the other tanks?

And the fortification... As I said before, I've never played a tournament, but I believe that the points are better spent elsewhere. You can never have too many grey hunters.

So overall, good list, but you might find it difficult with only 2 troops?

sphere830
12-19-2012, 09:47 AM
All seem like fair points and ones that make good sense to me when I looked everything up in my codex. Below is a revised list that makes this a bit more stalwart with more troops and some solid tweaks. I'll get around to fooling with the last 500 points (Haven't decided on IG or not) later. Thanks again, let me know if anyone sees any glaring gaps or wasted points.

HQ:

Wolf Lord
TH; SS; Saga of the Bear; Thunderwolf

Rune Priest
terminator armor; wolf tooth necklace; meltabombs

Troops:

Grey Hunters x10
melta; plasma gun; mark of the wulfen

Grey Hunters x10
melta, plasma gun, wolf standard

Grey Hunters x10
melta, plasma gun, wolf standard
Drop Pod

Fast Attack:

3x Thunder Wolf Cavalry
SS x3; TH; melta bombs (x3)

Heavy Support:

6x Long Fangs
3x ML; Plasma Cannon; Las Cannon

6x Long Fangs
3x ML; Plasma Cannon; Las Cannon

Total Points: 1500

Scorch
12-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Just some quick points on the revised list. The Wolf Tooth Necklace should be on your Wolf Lord! :P Don't go getting your Rune Priest into close combat! :P

No need for melta bombs on the Rune Priest, for the same reason as above.

The Grey Hunters are good :D

No need for the melta bombs on the TWC, they have the TH, which will do more damage with more attacks.

And the long fangs, either take 2 plasma cannons or lascannons, not one of each :P

But seems good other than those issues. :)