PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to stick etched brass to shoulder pads?

RGilbert26
12-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Afternoon all, im considering using some of the etched brass made by Forge World on my Space Marines and i was just wondering how easy it is to stick the smaller chapter symbols to shoulder pads?

Obviously i'll need to bend them slightly though not sure what's best to use to do that. Gluing is simple enough though i just need to be careful with how much i use.

Thanks for any help :)

DrLove42
12-18-2012, 07:34 AM
If you heat them up a little (warm water, not hairdrier) they get a bit more flexible.

Make sure you trim the edges down REALLY well, the slightest bump on the edge and they don't lie flat.

I've used some of the bigger Chaos Renegade ones on my rhinos, they do look good.

Digitarii
12-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Thin brass is pretty soft as it is. I use the Minotaurs stuff on my current project. I've been able to successfully burnish the smaller brass pieces down to the shoulder pads, chest plates and even the blank banners without issue. I use a short length of bamboo skewer with a small wad of blu-tak to hold the piece and then I apply tiny dots of superglue to the center and to the points. I use the medium consistency superglue so I have a little time to get it positioned properly. Once it's in place, I use the length of bamboo to burnish it down so it sits flush to the surface. Give the superglue an hour or so to dry solid before you try getting off any stray blu-tak. Once you primer and paint, the edges will be pretty well sealed.

EDIT: Use a cutting pad and a hobby knife with a fresh blade to cut the piece off of the sprue. Side flush cutters and wire cutters do not trim the brass cleanly.

Kirsten
12-18-2012, 12:15 PM
they stick fairly well, just don't rush it, make sure it is bent properly to the right shape, check, double check, make sure both surfaces are clean, and you should be fine. I have some Minotaurs brass etch too and I found the small icons on plastic to be fine, I had a larger symbol to go on a resin round shield and it was a nightmare