PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim

Deadlift
12-15-2012, 03:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZcqwvQbas

This film looks awesome, giant man controlled robots used to defend the pacific from giant monsters emerging from a portal deep within the ocean. Fantastic. Guillermo del Toro directs, and I am fan of his work on Hellboy and Pans Labyrinth. I think this could be one of THE BIG films for next summer.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/images-2_zps487c1416.jpeg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-15-2012, 03:25 AM
I love the rocket punch! :D

eldargal
12-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Looks a bit silly to me. Also is Idris Whatsisname becoming a new Samuel L Jackson? He seems to be in everything.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-15-2012, 03:32 AM
It's based on an anime that is based on Cthulhu mythos.... Of course it will be silly.

Deadlift
12-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Looks a bit silly to me. Also is Idris Whatsisname becoming a new Samuel L Jackson? He seems to be in everything.

More "silly" than anything in any other sci-fi setting ?

40k, Marvel, DC, or any Anime as a few examples. I think not.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-15-2012, 03:38 AM
It is based off of an anime.

eldargal
12-15-2012, 04:14 AM
I never said silly was bad.:p

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Reminds me of big-budget adaptation of something like Evangelion or the Tokusatsu show Ultraman. Speaking of, everyone should watch Ultraman Nexus, excellent toku...

Wildeybeast
12-15-2012, 05:43 AM
I'm not sure recruiting GLADOS as the AI to help us fight the big monsters is the best idea in the world.

Godless Zealot
12-15-2012, 07:50 AM
I'm not sure recruiting GLADOS as the AI to help us fight the big monsters is the best idea in the world.

To be fair the aliens are coming through a portal so it just might work? :)

dark messenger
12-15-2012, 08:15 AM
What's this, what's this?
I've not heard of this movie...? I'd love this by the sound of it.

...Coz there is nothing sexier than a giant shiny robot with rocket powered fists.... ;)

Wildeybeast
12-15-2012, 09:08 AM
To be fair the aliens are coming through a portal so it just might work? :)

With her pathological hatred of humanity I'd imagine she probably opened the portal.

imperialpower
12-15-2012, 10:11 AM
I enjoyed the Hellboy films but this just looks too much like transformers with added giant aliens for me it sounds a tad pathetic man kinds hope is to build big robots to fight off Godzillas, no thank you.

Godless Zealot
12-15-2012, 10:39 AM
With her pathological hatred of humanity I'd imagine she probably opened the portal.

Did she really hate humans that bad? I can't remember it's been a while, I thought she really enjoyed testing and just hated Chell because she murdered her. As regards the movie it does look a bit daft but it could provide some easy mindless entertainment and there is nothing wrong with that.

Wildeybeast
12-15-2012, 01:24 PM
It's been ages since I played the first one, but I seem to recall her having a homicidal bent from the outset. Either way, I certainly wouldn't put the fate of humanity in her hands. I'm wondering if it's pure coincidence that the AI in the film sounded exactly like her or whether that's a deliberate choice.

Godless Zealot
12-15-2012, 02:04 PM
It's been ages since I played the first one, but I seem to recall her having a homicidal bent from the outset. Either way, I certainly wouldn't put the fate of humanity in her hands. I'm wondering if it's pure coincidence that the AI in the film sounded exactly like her or whether that's a deliberate choice.

After a quick google search it seems like del Toro is a big Portal fan and it is indeed Ellen Mclain voicing the AI in the same manner as GLaDOS. Whether she (it?) will be named GLaDOS is currently unknown but considered doubtful.

Wildeybeast
12-16-2012, 05:21 AM
That's pretty cool. I'd imagine there would be some copyright issues with using the Glados name.