PDA

View Full Version : How would you do Alpha Legion?

Animus Silvanna
12-14-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm in contemplation that when i get back from deployment my first order of business is to make either a counts as Alpha Legion army or to use the Chaos book. I would be doing them of-course ever loyal to the Emperor. =D So any thoughts on the best way? The bits are another issue trying to find Hydra heads and the like, I also don't know how to model the models lol Should I do them all looking exactly the same? Or just make them look all very similar and make Sgt's, Captains etc, different as usual?

rtmaitreya
12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm in contemplation that when i get back from deployment my first order of business is to make either a counts as Alpha Legion army or to use the Chaos book. I would be doing them of-course ever loyal to the Emperor. =D So any thoughts on the best way? The bits are another issue trying to find Hydra heads and the like, I also don't know how to model the models

True Alpha Legion are ever under cover, rarely presenting themselves to Imperial scrutiny, and disappearing once exposed. I have considered doing Alpha Legion once I'm done with Arbiter and Genestealer Cult armies, so maybe in a year or so. Here is my plan:

Warlord HQ Chaos Lord
1 Unit of chaos terminators for teleporting in
1 unit of chaos space marines
2 huge units of cultists
1 heavy support, probably a predator or something

Allied contingent of Imperial Guard
1 HQ, not sure
2 platoons
1 unit of Leman Russ tanks
1 unit of sentinels or armored sentinels

This type of army is how the Alpha Legion would fight in my mind. The exposure of actual Alphas is very small, just a handful of warriors. The vast majority of the army are those poor fools that have been deluded into following the Alpha command. They probably still believe they are acting in the interests of the Emperor!

For modeling, go with shadowy black-blue-green for the chaos space marines, and minimize spiky bits. There would probably be zero exposed mutations. They are pretending to be loyal, most likely. I would add iconography to the tanks of a green anarchy A, which ties together the chaos, Alpha, and subterfuge elements together, as well as providing a good color bond to the disparate elements of the force.

antennafarm
12-14-2012, 09:31 PM
in my personal view, AL is a mindset. use any codex, make proper conversions, and GO. i see no reason why, say, the eldar codex can't be used -- it's just a ruleset, this isn't real life. as long as it's justifiable (go fluff go!) and is converted in a readable, proper and consistent manner, GO FOR IT.

Charistoph
12-14-2012, 11:01 PM
Alpha Legion?

Primary Detachment: Imperial Guard Cadian 501st.
Core is numerous squads of PBI, supported by tank squadrons, and a squad of flyers.

Secondary Detachment: Dark Angels/Ultramarines. Everyone knows that Luther is really Omegon III, and Marneus Calgar is Alpharius MMXXIV.

Animus Silvanna
12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
in my personal view, AL is a mindset. use any codex, make proper conversions, and GO. i see no reason why, say, the eldar codex can't be used -- it's just a ruleset, this isn't real life. as long as it's justifiable (go fluff go!) and is converted in a readable, proper and consistent manner, GO FOR IT.
While I agree I could use any codex, I also want to keep it competitive and not really be a stretch. For instance Thousand sons using The Grey Knights codex it makes sense. Im thinking I need an army that can use alot of infiltrators and such.

Nabterayl
12-14-2012, 11:37 PM
True Alpha Legion are ever under cover, rarely presenting themselves to Imperial scrutiny, and disappearing once exposed. I have considered doing Alpha Legion once I'm done with Arbiter and Genestealer Cult armies, so maybe in a year or so. Here is my plan:

Warlord HQ Chaos Lord
1 Unit of chaos terminators for teleporting in
1 unit of chaos space marines
2 huge units of cultists
1 heavy support, probably a predator or something

Allied contingent of Imperial Guard
1 HQ, not sure
2 platoons
1 unit of Leman Russ tanks
1 unit of sentinels or armored sentinels

This type of army is how the Alpha Legion would fight in my mind. The exposure of actual Alphas is very small, just a handful of warriors. The vast majority of the army are those poor fools that have been deluded into following the Alpha command. They probably still believe they are acting in the interests of the Emperor!

For modeling, go with shadowy black-blue-green for the chaos space marines, and minimize spiky bits. There would probably be zero exposed mutations. They are pretending to be loyal, most likely. I would add iconography to the tanks of a green anarchy A, which ties together the chaos, Alpha, and subterfuge elements together, as well as providing a good color bond to the disparate elements of the force.
This is, in general, the way I would do Alpha Legion too. The key is to have very few marines (and these as commando-like as possible, so getting as much infiltrating, outflanking, deep strike, and the like as possible), and a great many regular humans. I like the idea of using allied Guard as the more capable Alpha Legion cat's paws.

antennafarm
12-15-2012, 08:22 AM
While I agree I could use any codex, I also want to keep it competitive and not really be a stretch. For instance Thousand sons using The Grey Knights codex it makes sense. Im thinking I need an army that can use alot of infiltrators and such.

that's one way of thinking about it but it really kinda kneecaps AL conceptually. what about multiple deployment options (say, drop pods, dante SG squads dropping in accurately, outflankers), units that screw with other units (nurgle powers in the new CSM dex), or those interesting loners (marbo, assassins)? keep yer options open!

rtmaitreya
12-15-2012, 11:17 AM
This is, in general, the way I would do Alpha Legion too. The key is to have very few marines (and these as commando-like as possible, so getting as much infiltrating, outflanking, deep strike, and the like as possible), and a great many regular humans. I like the idea of using allied Guard as the more capable Alpha Legion cat's paws.

Exactly. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I would consider doing a lord, a sorcerer for 2 HQs, one or two units of CSM with some kind of upgrade, one unit of terminators, two huge units of cultists, and NO vehicles or heavy support of any kind in the main army. Leave the ponderous vehicles to the chaff, so that they can be left behind to distract enemy air support while the true villains slip away into the shadows.

RTM

Animus Silvanna
12-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Hmmm I am liking the IG allied bit as I would need "operatives" ha but not willing to go in on any chaos anything :P

rtmaitreya
12-16-2012, 12:58 AM
Hmmm I am liking the IG allied bit as I would need "operatives" ha but not willing to go in on any chaos anything :P

Now you're talking like an Alpha. Use loyalist marine codex. Warlord captain, two units of scouts, one unit of terminators, that kind of thing. Keep the armor dark blue with bright green highlights. Make the camo on the scouts dark blue with black and green patches. You can lavish attention on the marines, since there's not many of them, and each is a master of his own fate.

All the army guys can be any combination of green, grey, blue, whatever you want to paint a crapton of. Ignorance is strength. . . THEIR ignorance, and YOUR strength. The less those mortal fools know, the better. For you!

Animus Silvanna
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I Like it! My only change will be to have some kind of PA CC unit.

Nabterayl
12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
The main reason I like the Chaos codex for Alpha Legion, even if you don't go in for them being "Chaotic," is the ability to take cultists. As I understand the Alpha Legion's insurgents-and-advisors style of warfare, a campaign against an Alpha Legion warband would involve three tiers of enemies:

Space marines of the Alpha Legion.
Rebel fighters with military-style experience and tactics, perhaps beneficiaries of direct training by Alpha Legion marines.
Rebel fighters with a gun and the will to fight.
If you use the Chaos codex you can represent all three tiers (with IG allies). Otherwise, you can only represent the first two.

rtmaitreya
12-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Nabterayl on that. I like the cultist subverts and a three-tiered approach. Besides, more bodies makes for a more impressive list, whether or not it's "better".