PDA

View Full Version : 1850 Bike List, Take Two

ElectricPaladin
12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
This is a new attempt at a hybrid bike list, in honor of my awesome wife's Chanukah present of an attack bike (which I promptly assembled). This is my second attempt at a bike list, because the first ones have seemed both unsatisfying and impractically expensive. This one, I think, is a little better.

What do you think? I'd very much like to build towards being able to use my wife's gift to crush heretics!

HQ
• Captain w/Artificer Armor, Meltabombs, Power Weapon [NOTE: probably I'll model him with a lance], Bike
• Command Squad w/Bikes (2 Plasma Guns, 2 Flamers)

Elites
• Techmarine w/Power Weapon, Servo-Harness

Troops
• Full Bike Squad (2 Meltaguns, Multi-Melta), Sergeant w/Power Fist
• 10 Tactical Marines (Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon), Sergeant w/Power Weapon & Meltabombs
° Rhino w/Dozer Blade
• 10 Tactical Marines (Flamer, Missile Launcher), Sergeant w/Power Weapon & Meltabombs
° Rhino w/Dozer Blade

Fast Attack
• Stormtalon w/Lascannons

Heavy Support
• Vindicator w/Siege Shield
• 5 Devastators (4 Plasma Cannons)
° Razorback w/Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolters

Most of the list is obvious.

The techmarine is there because I had a hundred points left - an awkward amount to have in a space marines list - and couldn't figure out what to do with it. He'll hang out with the devastators in whatever building they camp that he's enhanced with Bolster Defenses. The captain can ride with his command squad, or possibly the bike squad, which will either ride as a unit or combat squad depending on the situation. The command squad will act as troubleshooters, which is why I gave them such diverse weapons. They can clear out hordes and swarms with their flamers or take on heavy infantry and light vehicles with their plasma guns. Assaulting them is a bad choice, thanks to 2d3 automatic overwatch hits plus plasma gun snap shots, but so is being assaulted by them.

In this list, I think the bike squad's ability to actually sieze objectives is secondary to its ability to clear them. The tacs, with their long range heavy weapons, are well-equipped to sit on objectives once the bikes have cleared them, and have rhinos to help them reach those objectives once they do. That said, the fact that the bikes can seize the objective if they have to gives me a stronger scoring presence than I'd otherwise have.

FlangeNabber
01-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi ElectricPaladin,
I've had a bit of experience with all biker builds and I don't think they are as effective in 6th ed even though bikes in general are better. Not sure how your variation on the biker list will go but I have a couple of suggestions on improvements I'd make.

First thing I'd do is drop the comand squad for attack bike squads, just make sure you use the attack bikes in groups of 2 or 3 other wise they give up fist blood too easy. Multi Melta or Heavy Bolter options are both good. The attack bikes should pack a bit more shooting and are scoring in 1 from six games, you can then still attach the comander to the big troop bike squad if that isn't already what you do and together they should be able to handle all but dedicated close combat units.

The other thing I'd do is swap out the techmarine for a thunderfire cannon. It's been a while since I've used my techmarines but from memory with the upgrades you've paid for it's going to be close to a straight swap. The cannon has improved so much under 6th ed and IMHO is the best bang for buck in the heavy support section (possibly the whole codex with the exception of a couple of HQ's)

Lastly, and this one is just personal preferance, I'd change the plasma death devastators to missile launchers. It's less expensive from memory, can still deal with hordes, is able to shoot at fliers and can more reliably kill tanks. If you face lots of foot MEQ or TEQ then stick with the plasmas but I just feel that the missiles are the best ballance of firepower and unit cost.

If you end up with any points left dont be afraid to put points into the comander, just about all the upgrades work well with a captian on a bike but my favourites are the hellfire rounds and grenade launcher although id consider giving him a fist or hammer as well so long as you have artificer armour.

Best of luck, hope you enjoy the bikes