PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves - Terminators in squads or as leaders/ICs?

Aspire to Glory
12-13-2012, 04:12 AM
So the results of my poll, and the advice from some experienced users, have pointed me towards Space Wolves for my first army. Some great tips so far!

I picked up a box of Terminators to go with my 3 packs of Grey Hunters, but I'm finding it a challenge to make a good pack out of them that isn't prohibitively expensive. I have two options. I also have some questions throughout. I'll wrap up at the end.

Option 1: Make a squad

Somehow figure out a way to make them worth their points. I don't plan on playing competitively for a while, but I will be joining a league. So while I don't have a points phobia, I'm not going to load 25% of the points in my army and send them across the field in a land raider unless they are every inch worth it. I almost laugh as I say this because I'm going to take Thunderwolf Cavalry, but I see some use with them. And I can't go without them.:rolleyes:

I've played with mixes of PF/SB and a couple of sets of LCs in a squad, which seems a cheaper option, but still really expensive. Especially when you put them in the vehicle that they need.

It's not looking good. I may not be able to let these boys roll together.

Option 2: Make ICs out of them

I like Lone Wolves loaded for bear and I kinda like the idea of Wolf Guard joining packs of 'Hunters, if it is practical to do with TDA WG. That would be rad.

Rune Priest seems feasible, too.

The gist is that I'm really trying to find what the hell to do with this increasingly disparate pack of heroes.

Mr.Pickelz
12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
I personally use to use mine as squad buffers, giving me an extra combi-melta or plasma where needed and the leadership for Counter-Attack, however i see them more as challenge tarpit'ers when given a storm shield and Wolf Claw.

The Sovereign
12-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I almost always run mine as a squad via drop pod, haven't tried them as sergeants for separate GH squads yet. They're (relatively) cheap with a combi-melta/plasma and power weapon each. My problem is I give them schizo load-outs, so they never really have a unified purpose.

DarkLink
12-13-2012, 11:24 PM
You can't make IC's out of them. You can split them up as characters in various units. There's a difference. It's really the only good way to run SW Terminators. It's also very annoying (and somewhat slow to play) for your opponent thanks to mixed armor and LOS.

spaceman91
12-14-2012, 04:38 AM
I dont use SW termis in my squads. my wg run with just a frost blade on each (x3). they work well as a leader of my GH units and its cheapish. the only termi in the list is a lone wolf with thunder hammer+storm shield with fluffy and rover( you can guess what they are ). i hope this helps

Aspire to Glory
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
You can't make IC's out of them. You can split them up as characters in various units. There's a difference. It's really the only good way to run SW Terminators. It's also very annoying (and somewhat slow to play) for your opponent thanks to mixed armor and LOS.

I meant use the models to make rune priests, a lord, etc. I didn't mean corverting them to ICs within the rules. I wasn't making stuff up.

DarkLink
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Ah, I see. That's a good use for the models.

Scorch
12-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I normally field my Wolf Guard as squad leaders in games of up to 2000pts. They can basically act as tanks now, soaking up mostly the light fire (unfortunately, due to my abysmal luck, the first shot of 'small arms fire' usually kills the guy... ) it also adds a great supplement for accepting challenges!!
At 2000pts, I may consider a squad of 5 in a drop pod, geared up with an assortment of combi-weapons and the close combat stuff.
As for the IC idea, perhaps... But the squad leaders are a better option, and if you have small amounts of points to spare, the Lone Wolf is always a nice addition, armed with a Chainfist.
I rarely use Wolf Lords that aren't on a Thunderwolf, or Wolf Guard Battle Leaders. Rune Priests being my 'go-to' option, and Wolf Priests can actually be quite nice too... With Saga of the Hunter, they can outflank with a unit of Grey Hunters (preferably, but other units too perhaps), (and re-roll the placement with out new Acute Senses! ) this can lead to all sorts of carnage!