PDA

View Full Version : Man of Steel

DrLove42
12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
So again i'm posting movie trailers.

Superman is a huge franchise, and although i agree a reboot is in order (the original 1 & 2 were great, but after that not so much) the really bleak dark tone that Nolan is bringing to this doesn't seem great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZfKfs0vIBw&feature=youtu.be

I'll still watch it, but i'm not sure what I think of it

DarkLink
12-11-2012, 02:17 PM
The problem with Superman as a character is that he is almost inherently a mary sue, considering he's got basically every single super power anyone has ever though of, ever. If you want to avoid that, you have to give the character something to struggle with. Nolan's direction seems pretty logical to me, and consistent with what Nolan has done effectively in the past.

imperialpower
12-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Agree with DarkLink on this one superman is too super and any film will need some way of bringing him down a peg or two or make him deal with some kind of intresting plot in the film

lattd
12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Just nice that DC is not focusing on batman, they have really ruined their brand because of their focus on batman

DarkLink
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, because two of the biggest blockbusters in movie history is totally ruining them :rolleyes:

Learn2Eel
12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, because two of the biggest blockbusters in movie history is totally ruining them :rolleyes:

Not to mention that the recent Batman trilogy is considered the greatest series of comic book movies ever made, above even the classic Superman and Burton Batman films.

Deadlift
12-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Fed up with " reboots " personally. I don't need to see over and over origin story's of super heroes because writers seem to be lacking creativity.

Anyway, I want to see a proper 40k Hollywood movies, all bangs and whistles with a huge budget. Not going o happen but here's wishing :)

DrLove42
12-12-2012, 02:58 AM
While I agree with you DL on the idea of him needing a struggle, my problem is the tone

It suited Batman, who has always been traditionally dark and a bit gritty. Whereas Superman has always been more light hearted and fun.

eldargal
12-12-2012, 04:30 AM
I don't like Superman and I didn't care for Nolans Batman efforts, so that means I will either really, really love Man of Steel or really, really hate it.:rolleyes:

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-12-2012, 04:34 AM
Hmmm, I am torn...

Mr Mystery
12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm not at all fussed for Superman, but I do love my comics. Definitely going to see it, and I think the dark treatment might be just what the character needs.

It's not just that Superman is so powerful that he makes an incredibly dull character, but the fact that he isn't evil. Superman has total power, but not a hint of corruption. How? It's just not credible in any way, shape or form. Now what I would love to see is an offshoot series where Superman, 'for our own good' has taken over. After all, you can't stop him. There is nothing anyone on earth can do to challenge him. Could be very interesting.

But with a dark treatment, we might just see some underlying internal conflict in this regard.

lattd
12-12-2012, 07:56 AM
I think my comment came out wrong, i love the nolan batman's and im loving the young justice tv show and the arrow tv show. But think up until recently it has been all batman and superman, other characters have suffered for it. Look at how marvel took iron man from a b rank super hero to front and centre. Some DC characters could really do with that.

Wildeybeast
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Why is everyone saying this is a Nolan film? He is producer, not director, that's Zak '300 & Watchmen' Synder. The director has far more creative control over the film than the producer ever does. The producers name is only ever mentioned on trailers when it's someone like Nolan who will attract kudos to the project (far more than Synder on his own ever would).