PDA

View Full Version : 5 Eldar Jetbike models...

Lost Vyper
12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
What is the best combo to build, when you have five models on jet bikes? Farseer on a bike and Warlocks? With what powers? Opinions?

dvs1
12-07-2012, 03:22 AM
What is the best combo to build, when you have five models on jet bikes? Farseer on a bike and Warlocks? With what powers? Opinions?

I would seriously consider raising the unit count to 6 bikes total. Since you get to upgrade a shuriken cannon for every 3, it would be a waste not to...

warlocks are all right if you got the spare points, but personally I almost never bother with them purely from a price point perspective. Singing spears are nice, as is the 4++ save. I've seen this used proficiently with the way wound allocation works in 6th. As for powers, embolden is the usual go to as its cheap and useful. Destructor is ok to add some horde control, but requires you to be dangerously close for one heavy flamer shot. Enhance looks neat on paper, but cc is the last place your jetbikes wanna be. Conceal is ludicrous because you get a jink save anyway....unless you plan on them not moving.

I would personally split the 6? man squad into two 3 man teams each with a cannon and no other upgrades. Less survivable than when combined, but offer two separate scoring units that can cover 48" in a single turn. Just keep them hidden in the backfield and use them to snipe light armour or transports at extreme ( maximum) range. Use the thrust move then to get them back out of sight and retribution. Great late game line breakers and scoring/denial unit. Hope that helps

Lost Vyper
12-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Those were in the first bunch of Eldar i bought from ebay, when i started to collect my army. I don't field them often and i want to use them in some games, just to throw my opponent something, he hasn´t seen in a while. I don't like bikes a lot, and i´m not going to get more of them. I think Farseer + 4 Warlocks seem to be the best choice and the times i´ve played them, they seem to fail their leadership a lot :). Embolden and Destructor seem to be the shiznit...

Lost Vyper
12-08-2012, 06:19 AM
New idea, 3 Shining Spears + Exarch (Skilled Rider) + Farseer (Fortune)...how does it sound?

Defenestratus
12-08-2012, 09:39 AM
New idea, 3 Shining Spears + Exarch (Skilled Rider) + Farseer (Fortune)...how does it sound?

I love shining spears, I really do... but unfortunately they are simply still too fragile, and too expensive, and too small in squad size to carry their weight around on the table. If they are a model that you love (I do - which is why I have two squads of them) then go for it but don't expect them to be helping you win games on the table.

Lost Vyper
12-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Tried today Farseer + 3 x Warlocks (2xDestructor,Embolden) against Blood Angels and they fared nicely. They got me the Linebreaker and got rid of Furioso Dreadnaught and mopped up remains of a tactical squad. Fortuned 4+ save when Turbo Boosting on assault turn, kept them alive turns 4,5 and six. I gotta add one more Warlock on the unit (maybe Enhance?) and i think that will be great!

Terrain Foundry
12-12-2012, 06:49 AM
...Fortuned 4+ save when Turbo Boosting on assault turn, kept them alive turns 4,5 and six. I gotta add one more Warlock on the unit (maybe Enhance?) and i think that will be great!

Remember, they get 4+ all the time, not just when turbo boosting, as they have 4+ inv rune armour.

They were better in 4th ed, as they got a 3+ cover save when turbo boosting (re-rollable with fortune!), plus witchblades were str9 - sweet! Happy days.

Still awesome now though!

I run 2 units of 3 jetbikes, with shuriken cannon. So good for linebreaker, or last minute objective grabbing, and often both at the same time :)

Terrain Foundry
12-12-2012, 06:54 AM
To answer the orginal question...

It depends entirely on how many points to have avilable. But if points are unlimited then a nice deathstar farseer/warlock fortune unit of doom is always amazing.

Another nice build, but a bit more economical on points, would be 3 normal jetbikes, 1 shirken cannon, warlock with destructor and spear. Very versatile.

-Tom-
12-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Destructor is ok to add some horde control, but requires you to be dangerously close for one heavy flamer shot. Enhance looks neat on paper, but cc is the last place your jetbikes wanna be.

My big disappointment about Destructor was seeing in the FAQs that it can't be used on overwatch, which I think is wrong. I just feel that if you're going to be able to fire off snap shots as people charge you with your guns, or in the case of a template weapon chuck out a quick blast of whatever it chucks out, you would also assume that if you were capable of throwing flamey stuff out of your hands with your mind that it would be an automatic reaction to go "Woah crap man, being charged, eeeek!!" and just as a gut reaction, spew out some destructor bolty goodness (and no worries about adding psychic tests into overwatch proceedings, because warlocks don't take them on the basis that their single power is 'always on').

Just seems that would at least turn it from being wasting points on 'nigh on useless' powers to have a squad of 6 warlocks on jetbikes (the only power you would generally take multiple copies of would be destructor as the others don't stack bonuses, and as you already said, no point in conceal when you've got a jink save anyway), into at least being points spent in defence against something you'll be trying to avoid (which I feel isn't the same as wasted).

Lost Vyper
12-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Yep, 4+ invl.save of course...but in the heat of battle things tend to be forgotten :)

"WH40K, game of remembering things"