PDA

View Full Version : Star trek - Into Darkness

DrLove42
12-06-2012, 04:31 AM
The trailer for which was released this morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoIs4wfaeM

I was never a Trek fan, but really enjoyed the first Abrams film so am definently looking forward to this

Also Mr B Cumberbatch makes a fine villain

Learn2Eel
12-06-2012, 04:38 AM
I'm not a massive Trekkie fan either, but I loved the first Abrams film too. I'm just curious - who is the villain? Is it Khan? I dunno, Khan's the only big name villain I know of.

eldargal
12-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Well I am a Trekkie and I too am looking forward to this.:p

Psychosplodge
12-06-2012, 04:43 AM
I think they've specifically said it's not Khan.

DrLove42
12-06-2012, 04:44 AM
I'm not a massive Trekkie fan either, but I loved the first Abrams film too. I'm just curious - who is the villain? Is it Khan? I dunno, Khan's the only big name villain I know of.

We don't know. Hes not named in the trailer, and the official Wiki, actual Wiki and IMDB just list him as "Villain". They're keeping it very close to the chest

Learn2Eel
12-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Interesting. Guessing it will be a big surprise.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-06-2012, 05:27 AM
I have watched the trailer many times! I love this incarnation of Trek!

DrLove42
12-06-2012, 06:38 AM
It has now been heavily inferred that he is, in fact Khan

The Japanese trailer is slightly different and shows a few seconds of a shot by shot remake of Spocks deathin the original film (apparantly) leading people to believe it is indeed Khan

Learn2Eel
12-06-2012, 08:08 AM
A lot of people think it is Gary Mitchell as well;

Well the link won't load for me now but IGN has an article on it.

imperialpower
12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Not for me thanks hated the first one just wasn't star trek, will only watch this if advised to by someone with an opinion I trust but if it is anything like his first effort (or lack of) I will not be wasting my time on it, I will now stop before I start typing a hate rant.

Wolfshade
12-07-2012, 03:34 AM
I finally managed to convince the wife to watch the new film, she loves her trek but not ToS, so she was a little apprehensive. She loved it, then a friend posted this and I got all excited.
I was concerned with Simon Pegg but, it wasn't as bad as I had feared, he was quite good actually.

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-07-2012, 04:34 AM
Didn't like the first abrams film, so I will respectfully pass on this one too. I'm more looking forward to Star Trek Renegades, hopefully that will be more to my taste and if the pilot is successful it will be a series too which is also what I prefer ST to be as. Only ever liked the motion picture in regards to the films.

Wolfshade
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Ohh I hadn't heard of ST:Renegades (http://startrekrenegades.com/). It looks very exciting :)

Psychosplodge
12-07-2012, 05:38 AM
Ohh I hadn't heard of ST:Renegades (http://startrekrenegades.com/). It looks very exciting :)

Now that might make startrek interesting.

Asymmetrical Xeno
12-07-2012, 07:09 AM

Yeah, the general darker concept and plot, having it set after nemesis/voyager and having old cast members are all things id like to see, personally.

For some reason I just never click with these reboots though, I always feel disconnected to them - the same happened with Dr who when it came back in 2005, I just couldnt click with it at all so stopped watching. I won't insult the people that like these things though as it's all a matter of taste.

I did find it ironic that STR only made 242k, where as you've got miniature based kickstarters (latest being kingdom death) that are raking it in. Seems like Kickstarters are better geared for things that can offer more physical rewards. I guess that's for another discussion entirely, but I find it quite interesting..

imperialpower
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
The startrek renegades looks much better to me although I would like to see the star trek universe from a different point of view rather than the Federation all the time, a series based on the Cardassians or the Klingons would be much more intresting in my opinion, getting to learn more about the alien cultures in Star Trek is somthing that they should do given the ammount of mainstream races there are.

Drunkencorgimaster
12-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Love Star Trek! Very excited! Wag tail!

Wildeybeast
12-08-2012, 04:21 AM
I think they've specifically said it's not Khan.

Like when they said Marion Cottilard was not Talia al Ghul?

Not for me thanks hated the first one just wasn't star trek, will only watch this if advised to by someone with an opinion I trust but if it is anything like his first effort (or lack of) I will not be wasting my time on it, I will now stop before I start typing a hate rant.

I've been a big ST fan since childhood. I get the whole 'it's not Star Trek' because it is different to the Original series, TNG and it's spin offs. However, it's not meant to be. I feel it is a loving tribute, which is taking the franchise in a new direction. And after Enterprise killed it, that can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me of this video (http://www.theonion.com/video/trekkies-bash-new-star-trek-film-as-fun-watchable,14333/) that came out for the last film. It still amuses me.

Also, hooray for Pike still being in there.

imperialpower
12-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I've been a big ST fan since childhood. I get the whole 'it's not Star Trek' because it is different to the Original series, TNG and it's spin offs. However, it's not meant to be. I feel it is a loving tribute, which is taking the franchise in a new direction. And after Enterprise killed it, that can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me of this video (http://www.theonion.com/video/trekkies-bash-new-star-trek-film-as-fun-watchable,14333/) that came out for the last film. It still amuses me.

Yes I get that the film was supposed to be somthing new and I for one hate "tribute" films that don't need making because the originals are still good, like Predators and the new total recall as a couple of dire examples but films are for different tastes and like I said not for me although it is good as you said that the franchise has been brought back after Enterprise.

lobster-overlord
12-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm saying "Can't be Khan" Khan didn't have pointy ears. And dude certainly has some point to the tops of his ears.

My money's on Sybok.

(He could have been a cool villain... but...)

Wildeybeast
12-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Yes I get that the film was supposed to be somthing new and I for one hate "tribute" films that don't need making because the originals are still good, like Predators and the new total recall as a couple of dire examples but films are for different tastes and like I said not for me although it is good as you said that the franchise has been brought back after Enterprise.

Tribute perhaps wasn't the right word. What I meant was the actors all do a good job of representing the 'character' of the characters and the way the original actors played them (especially Chris Pine and Karl Urban) without it descending into mockery. The film is trying to stay true to the original characters and the 'essence' of Star Trek whilst doing something new and exciting with. I think it largely manages it. But, hey other opinions are always available.

imperialpower
12-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Tribute perhaps wasn't the right word. What I meant was the actors all do a good job of representing the 'character' of the characters and the way the original actors played them (especially Chris Pine and Karl Urban) without it descending into mockery. The film is trying to stay true to the original characters and the 'essence' of Star Trek whilst doing something new and exciting with. I think it largely manages it. But, hey other opinions are always available.

Yea I know what you mean and I completley agree that some of the 'new' cast did a good job at impersonating the original cast, bones and spock especially but for me that's all it was a group of actors and actresses trying to emulate other actors fighting future s**t romulans who were the peasent class of the romulans or some horse s**t like that from what I can remember. I for one always hate the time travel crap in any of the star trek series or films (apart from when shatner saves a couple of whales of course but that was very plausible so doesn't count):) but anyway hoepfully the new cast will start to develope the characters in a new way and get to act in a film with a decent story line this time, I never pre judge films anyway even if the first was terrible so hopefully this new one will be more to my taste.

Wildeybeast
12-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree the storyline and baddie were somewhat weak (though Eric Bana hammed it up like the best of them), though that was always going to play second fiddle to establishing the characters and their motivations. I'm hopeful that the new one will have a bit more plot and a better baddie.

I really liked the episode of DS9 where they went back to the original Trouble with Tribbles episode. That was awesome.

Deadlift
12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I enjoyed the 1st movie, looking forward to this one too. I am not really a "Trekkie" but besides the last show with that quantum leap dude, I enjoy all things Star Trek especially Deanna Troi.

imperialpower
12-09-2012, 01:31 PM
I really liked the episode of DS9 where they went back to the original Trouble with Tribbles episode. That was awesome.

Yea forgot about that episode ok so apart from that episode and when shatner saves those whales time travel isn't good in star trek, I personally think DS9 was the best out of all the series of Star trek simply because it seemed more realistic and was not just about the federation traveling around been morally superior and it dealt with a lot more alien cultures especially when Warf came into it the most kingon of all klingons.

Wildeybeast
12-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I really liked DS9 too. A very different concept and the stationary setting let them explore some interesting new areas and develop ongoing storylines that weren't really possible on the Enterprise.

Wolfshade
12-10-2012, 03:21 AM
I agree the storyline and baddie were somewhat weak (though Eric Bana hammed it up like the best of them), though that was always going to play second fiddle to establishing the characters and their motivations. I'm hopeful that the new one will have a bit more plot and a better baddie.

I thought this ^^ it always felt very much of a pilot or a first act. Setting the scene describing who's who and what not. I think that it should have been Remans not Romulans though, but I think that would have clouded the water even more as it was supposed to be a star trek film for the non-star trek fan.

Psychosplodge
12-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Like when they said Marion Cottilard was not Talia al Ghul?

That means nothing to me, am I required to have seen the first re-boot for it to make sense?

That's probably the best episode ever.

I enjoyed the 1st movie, looking forward to this one too. I am not really a "Trekkie" but besides the last show with that quantum leap dude, I enjoy all things Star Trek especially Deanna Troi.
Yeah neither am I(Star wars ftw!-btw there are only three star wars films)
I prefer Jadzia Dax, but each to their own and all that...
I did like Enterprise till it all went down the time travel route.

Verilance
12-10-2012, 04:37 AM
Couldn't even finish watching the first Abrams film I guess my time with Star Trek is long over.., doesn't hit any buttons for me

Wildeybeast
12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
That means nothing to me, am I required to have seen the first re-boot for it to make sense?

No it was a Dark Knight Rises reference, though with a name like that I can see the confusion. My point was word got out early on that the Talia character would be in the film as would Marion Cottilard and so people joined the dots. As such they put out a lot of stuff saying that she was not playing that character, only for it turn out she in fact was. Which was my point about saying Cumberbatch is not Khan.

Psychosplodge
12-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I only watched that the other weekend and still missed the reference, doh...

DrLove42
12-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Apparantly hes not Khan

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/star-trek-darkness-pic-hold-clues-villains-identity.html

According to an official released picture from the studio with captions, he is John Harrison. Who?

Also this...

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/375467_10151216675844584_637790322_n.jpg

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
12-11-2012, 03:47 AM
*shrugs* No idea...

Also, cool poster.

Psychosplodge
12-11-2012, 03:58 AM
I like it, but I prefer this one
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8eau0xbNF1qmdlvho1_500.jpg

Learn2Eel
12-18-2012, 05:10 PM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/12/18/the-ultimate-clue-regarding-the-star-trek-into-darkness-villain

Looks like it is Khan. However, with the villain wearing a Starfleet uniform, the Gary Mitchell rumour still persists.

eldargal
05-04-2013, 08:11 AM
http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Icklz7tn87N_rUCNhxh9Hg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/movies/2013-05-01/a5f64156-ce22-48d4-b884-1d563176b766_klingons.jpg
New Klingons. Not sure I approve.

Mr Mystery
05-04-2013, 01:58 PM
I dunno. They look pretty cool! Far more brutal.

eldargal
05-04-2013, 11:18 PM
They don't look bad, I'm jus not sure they look like Klingons. Everyone else is recognisable/unchanged in terms of species yet klingons get a complete redesign, it's odd.

White Tiger88
05-05-2013, 12:36 AM
THATS a Klingon???????? Looks more like someone melted wax over worf and beat him with his shoe.....

eldargal
05-05-2013, 02:25 AM
I thought they looked more like the love child of Word and a Jem'Hadar personally.

Mr Mystery
05-05-2013, 06:03 AM
I think it's mostly the baldy napper. Bung the long hair on, and much more recognisable.

Wildeybeast
05-06-2013, 03:13 AM
They don't look bad, I'm jus not sure they look like Klingons. Everyone else is recognisable/unchanged in terms of species yet klingons get a complete redesign, it's odd.

Do you mean they don't like these Klingons?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4iiUileJQzPIL4mCLhv_2n4WKB5Z-JzSb-thzO2mfn1B7xETC

Or these Klingons?
http://www.theschoolforheroes.com/SfHArt/cl_blog/picture_klingon.jpg

In the words of Worf, "we don't talk about it".

eldargal
05-06-2013, 03:39 AM
Right, they have already been sensibly redesigned once, now we have weird half klingon half jem hadar people.

imperialpower
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Agree with Eldargal 100% on this, I find it wierd that they would change such an iconic race and make them look worse, what I do not get is the directors rational behind it saying he didn't want to stick to a 5o year old design or some s**t not that he has done that with anything else in the film like the uniforms, ship design, main characters, vulcans ect.

Wildeybeast
05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm going to reserve judgement on them until I see them in the film. Abrams did such a good job of blending old with new in the first film that I feel he has earned that leeway at least. Besides, as I point out above, it's not the first time Klingons have had an explicable redesign.

Kyban
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Perhaps that isn't representative of all the klingons...

Wildeybeast
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Possibly. They could be some weird subspecies (like the Remans) or a cross breed with another race or God knows what. Wait and see is my motto.

Wolfshade
05-08-2013, 01:57 AM
Well we all know that they had their cranial ridges removed as children to help them infiltrate the federation, obvs.

Denzark
05-12-2013, 02:32 AM
Watched it last night. I didn't think the Klingon looked any different from the currently seen racial differences - ie stare-y eyed Gauron and actually this latest Klingon's head looked like General Chang from VI.

Houghten
05-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I just watched it a couple of hours ago... didn't have any problems with the Klingons, but the Enterpise's leitmotif did drive me insane with how it was very similar to the Transformers Prime theme tune, while being a couple of notes out.

energongoodie
05-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Watched it last night.
I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loved all the in jokes for the fans. The design was great. I loved the acting. Loved it all round!
Playing with scenes from Wrath of Khan was fantastic!
Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrLove42
05-13-2013, 01:46 AM
I found it funny that {SPOILERS- Highlight below to see)

Before the film came out everyone was saying that scenes in the trailer directly copied from Spocks Death in the original. Turns out it was Kirks death. Suck on that uber attention paying fan boys!

And it wasn't going to be a sequel until someone yelled "KHHHHAAANN!"

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-13-2013, 04:11 AM
I loved it too, saw it last week.

I'm going again. :D

energongoodie
05-13-2013, 04:25 AM
I loved it too, saw it last week.

I'm going again. :D

I think I might have to go again too :D

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-13-2013, 04:35 AM
I'm an Unlimited Member, so I pay 14,99 a month for unlimited films. :D
Make my money back off of 2 films

Mr Mystery
05-13-2013, 04:54 AM
I was looking forward to it.

Until some tit (not TDA) on my Facebook feed decided what would really help...was to blab about it with no attempt to highlight spoilers.....

energongoodie
05-13-2013, 07:30 AM
I was looking forward to it.

Until some tit (not TDA) on my Facebook feed decided what would really help...was to blab about it with no attempt to highlight spoilers.....

-_-

I...hate it when people do that. I feel for you.
I made sure I avoided every trailer and advert cause modern trailers seem to show most of the major plot points these days.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I like tits.

Mr Mystery
05-13-2013, 07:58 AM
I like tits.

not that kind, numpty boy. Put your Binorkulars away!

Mr Mystery
05-13-2013, 08:01 AM
-_-

I...hate it when people do that. I feel for you.
I made sure I avoided every trailer and advert cause modern trailers seem to show most of the major plot points these days.

Yup.

I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but it's akin to watching a mystery when you know at least one person definitely isn't the killer. Takes the edge off just enough.

Worst offender for that? Film called 'Valentine' with Denise 'there for the bikini' Richards and David 'He was Angel' Borenaz....as mystery thriller....which tells you whodunnit on the back of the case....yeah....nice suspense there lads.

Wolfshade
05-14-2013, 01:42 AM
Saw it last night, awesome.
I have avoided this thread between it being released and me seeing it as I did not want to know any of the spoilers.

The film itself was great, another non-Star Trek Star Trek film. Very enjoyable. I thought Cumberbatch was brilliant in the film and almost stole every scene he was in.

I think some parts were a tad predictable, but they were always going to be, in any type of film you'd expect the same.

The Klingons I did not think looked too different from the TOS film Klingons, with less pronouced, one would imagine that there is probably local variation between klingons showing different types of ridges, though I was expecting to see Michael Dorn :(

I loved the references to what has gone before, cheeckily slipped in but without it being jarring to those who are unfamiliar with them.

I am also pleased that I found the twists out for myself :D

Wildeybeast
05-14-2013, 12:35 PM
I saw it last night as well and was impressed. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen the twists coming a mile off, but otherwise it was great. I love the fact that they have (still) managed to keep the character quirks of the original cast while giving them fresh life. I would have liked Bones to have a bigger role (especially as I think Karl Urban is the best of the lot of them), but given the way the story panned out I understand why he didn't.