PDA

View Full Version : Devastator Shoulders?

ElectricPaladin
12-05-2012, 10:43 AM
As I wrote elsewhere (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?26820-Devastators), I'm making my first devastators. Unlike tactical (up or front/back arrow) and assault marines (crossed arrows), I can't find any consistent reference to what a devastator shoulder pad should look like. Can anyone educate me?

In case it matters, I'm painting Exorcists.

wittdooley
12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
They're typically a small explosion. I've seen then filled in as well as simply an outline.

Aegwymourn
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
The tradition Codex Shoulderguard for devastators is an inverted V.

Houghten
12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought it was a chevron?

Nabterayl
12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Insignium Astartes gives the "standard" devastator insignium as a chevron with its base touching the corners of the pauldron and its tip touching the top of the pauldron. In chapters where the squad number is displayed on a pauldron, the squad number is displayed at the top of the chevron, within its boundaries. Exorcists in IA10 seem to display squad number on the poleyn or the top of the greave, though Exorcists in Insignium Astartes do display squad number on the pauldron). Insignium Astartes also notes the following as Codex-acceptable variations (all images in white unless otherwise noted, with black used as the contrasting color when a number is placed upon another image):

Chapter badge, upon which is displayed the squad number; in the lower left corner, the company number in Arabic numerals; in the lower right corner, an upward-jutting explosion (see page 138 of IA10, which I assume you have if you're placing Exorcists).
An upward-jutting explosion; in the lower left corner, the company number in Arabic numerals; in the lower right corner, the squad number in Roman numerals.
An upward-jutting explosion in the company colors above, with a circle in the company colors below, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
The same, with only the circle in the company colors.
An explosion, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
An explosion.
A triangle whose points do not quite touch the edges of the pauldron, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
An explosion above; below, the squad number in Roman numerals.
A pile, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
A chevron, the corners of which do not touch the corners of the pauldron but the top of which does, the squad number contained within the top of the chevron in Roman numerals.
An explosion in outline only, the squad number contained within in Roman numerals.
The squad number above in Roman numerals; below, an explosion.
The squad number in Arabic numerals.
The squad number in Roman numerals.
A circle in the company colors, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
Lightning bolts in an asterisk pattern, at the center of which is a circle in the company colors, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
A pile, within which is the chapter badge.
A pile in outline, within which is the squad number in Arabic numerals.
A stylized twelve-pointed star, the cardinal points of which are elongated, in outline only, within which is the squad number in Roman numerals.
Pretty much any of the above where the charge (but not the numbers) is in the company colors instead of white.
Insignium Astartes notes that the Codex itself charges chapter masters to change the standard insignia from time to time, to prevent it from becoming out of date; it also notes that many space marine chapters are too in love with their "traditional" heraldry to do so. Since the Badab-era Exorcists we have images of display the "normal" unadorned markings with squad number in unadorned Arabic numerals on the knee, I would go with a chevron whose base touches the corners of the pauldron and whose tip touches the top of the pauldron, with the squad number wherever you've placed the squad number on your other models.

Insignium Astartes also lists the company color being displayed on the helmet stripe, but I note that none of the Badab-era marines in IA10, nor the vehicles assigned to specific companies, display the company colors. So either way on that, I guess.

Wolfshade
12-07-2012, 04:09 AM
Now that is how you answer a question!
Good response Nabterayl!

These are from the Ultramarines 9th Company, they are a reserve company consisting purely of Devastators
http://redelf.narod.ru/pi/w40k/insignium/04_09_3.jpg

Wolfshade
12-07-2012, 05:13 AM
After an hour of trawling I have found these:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/502046/20-28mm-shoulder-pad-squad-marking-triangle.html?li=productBox-search

http://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/674x501_502046_393986_1338417030.jpg

Psychosplodge
12-07-2012, 05:55 AM
That's strange, I was pretty sure GW used to do a dev shoulder pad, I suppose a genisis chapter shoulder pad could easily double as one.

Wolfshade
12-07-2012, 06:23 AM
They did used to. Maybe this is an indication that people don't use them very often?

Psychosplodge
12-07-2012, 06:44 AM
possibly, or they're on the next F/C wave, or they're putting them on the sprue..