PDA

View Full Version : All Flyer Armies and Reserves.

vharing
11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
I am thinking of starting a FW army of Elysians. However I am uncertain how it would work for having everything in flyer. I know in the rule book it says you have to deploy at least half your army. I plan on having everything loaded into flyer dedicated transports. I also have a Blood Angels army that I wrote a list for where everything was in stormravens as well. Would that rules make me deploy part of the army on the table because SRs are not dedicated?

Learn2Eel
11-30-2012, 09:48 PM
You cannot deploy flyers on the battlefield, hence, an entire army mounted in flyers would lose automatically on turn one because it has no models on the board at the end of the game turn.
That is, of course, unless you have a unit or codex specific special rule that allows flyers to come in from reserves on turn one, however, there is nothing I know of that can do that.

I know how you feel by the way, a mate of mine wanted to do an all Valkyrie-Elysian Drop list, but due to the changes to null deployment in 6th Edition, this is no longer possible, at least not in the way he envisioned.
It sucks, yeah, but I guess that is just what we have to live with.

The only armies I know of that can still do this kind of null deployment are Drop Pod lists and Chaos Daemons, which deep-strike half of their forces on turn one. There might be others.

And to answer your final question, yes, half your army would have to start on the board as they are not inside a dedicated transport purchased for them. Only units that don't count to the reserves limit, such as units that must start the game in reserve, as well as units inside dedicated transports that must start the game in reserve, do not count to the half army on the board restriction.

gensu11
12-01-2012, 07:35 PM
I am thinking of doing an Elysian drop army also. As Learn2Eel said, units that are in dedicated transports (Valkyries) don't have to start on the board. If I understand the rules correctly, Units in valkyries don't count against your army total when determining units available for pre game deployment, of which 50% have to deploy pre game. So an Elysian Company Command Squad and Veteran Squads all can take Valkyries as dedicated transports. I am thinking that I could run two tauros squadrons on the ground during first deployment, with the rest of my units in reserve in Valkyries as dedicated transports and it would be legit. The tauros squadrons would be the only part of the army list that isn't in valkyrie dedicated transports, and therefore, technically 100% of my forces available for pre game deployment would be deployed. Assuming my understanding of the rules is correct, it is a work around to still have the majority of your forces come in on reserve. Can anyone confirm my reading of the rules?

ElectricPaladin
12-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Would that rules make me deploy part of the army on the table because SRs are not dedicated?

Yes.

Nabterayl
12-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I am thinking of doing an Elysian drop army also. As Learn2Eel said, units that are in dedicated transports (Valkyries) don't have to start on the board. If I understand the rules correctly, Units in valkyries don't count against your army total when determining units available for pre game deployment, of which 50% have to deploy pre game. So an Elysian Company Command Squad and Veteran Squads all can take Valkyries as dedicated transports. I am thinking that I could run two tauros squadrons on the ground during first deployment, with the rest of my units in reserve in Valkyries as dedicated transports and it would be legit. The tauros squadrons would be the only part of the army list that isn't in valkyrie dedicated transports, and therefore, technically 100% of my forces available for pre game deployment would be deployed. Assuming my understanding of the rules is correct, it is a work around to still have the majority of your forces come in on reserve. Can anyone confirm my reading of the rules?
You've got it exactly right.

vharing
12-01-2012, 09:33 PM
That is actually not a bad idea to start some tauros squadrons on the ground first turn. I havent played any necron flyer lists but from you guys said they must all start something on the board like wraiths or the like, eh?