PDA

View Full Version : Forge World IG Question

Kyban
11-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I've been looking at using forge world ig and while I don't have the rules yet it looks like you might be allowed to take something like a death korp unit in a standard codex ig army? Can you mix and match the army lists or is it only allies?

It also seems like the rules are pretty spread out for the full lists + updates, what's the best way to get the lists together?

Nabterayl
11-30-2012, 12:20 AM
Most individual IG units found in various Imperial Armour books can be taken in "standard" Imperial Guard detachments, as detailed in their individual unit entries. The specialized troopers themselves generally can't be (e.g., you can't get a platoon of Death Korps infantry in a codex IG detachment, even though you can get a quad launcher). There's no single list for any of this though - you just have to get your hands on the relevant books.

OrksOrksOrks
11-30-2012, 04:16 AM
There is a death korps list, you can ally them as battle brothers with standard IG, other wise you can just use the DKK units to represent the stadard IG list

Kyban
11-30-2012, 02:05 PM
There is a death korps list, you can ally them as battle brothers with standard IG, other wise you can just use the DKK units to represent the stadard IG list

I did see the death korp list, is that the full list? It mentioned taking their individual units (they indicate a grenadier squad) and vehicles in a standard list is allowed and say that the entries have the relevant info but I didn't see it there, do they mean the entries in the appropriate IA book? It sounds like they're spread out between quite a few books but it looks like there is a new book coming out with all the IG vehicles and a new Armoured Battle Group list.

Shotgun Justice
11-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Forgeworld rules are spread all over the place at the moment, however today they released this:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_VOLUME_ONE_SECOND_EDITION_IMPERIAL _GUARD.html

This book combines nearly all of their Imperial Guard units into one book updated for 6th. Every unit in the book is allocated a force organisation slot in an IG army and so you can pick and mix between it and the IG codex. There are several "Death Korp" units in there but they fit into the IG list now.

Forge World also has a bunch of variant army lists, these are treated just like another codex when it comes to allies - ie they fit into the allies matrix and units cannot be pick & mixed between army lists and codexes unless you abide by the matrix.
Forge World have released a document stating how each of their lists behaves on the allies matrix - you can find it here:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/a/allies.pdf

Finally the Death Korp army list (called the Siege Regiment list) can be found in Imperial Armour vol 5. The Siege of Vraks. This list has not been updated by the new IA vol 1, 2nd edition, although many of the units that appear in it have been. There is a PDF of FAQs for vol 5 that is no longer available from Forge Words website but answers several important questions - I can email/PM it to you if you wish.

Nabterayl
11-30-2012, 02:20 PM
It mentioned taking their individual units (they indicate a grenadier squad) and vehicles in a standard list is allowed and say that the entries have the relevant info but I didn't see it there, do they mean the entries in the appropriate IA book?

Yes, they do. That's the standard procedure for IA. But yes, it looks like you can probably wait until IA1 is re-released.

EDIT: "Variant" infantry are still likely to be restricted to their respective "variant" lists, though. At present, you can take a Centaur as a transport for a codex storm trooper squad of no more than 5 men or command squad, but there's no way to take Death Korps grenadiers in a codex detachment, even though Death Korps grenadiers can also take Centaurs as transport (the army list simply mis-speaks when it implies that you can take Death Korps grenadiers in a codex list). I don't see IA1 changing that.

energongoodie
11-30-2012, 02:44 PM
I had a battle the other day against an armoured company list from the old book. It's a *****. Command tank for your HQ and cheap troops with chimeras with tanks all over the shop. It's a good list.

heretic marine
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I have the 5th Edition DKoK army list, I can upload it if you want. I play a DKoK army with IG allies, and it works great! but it is really how you play but with the 5 IG armies out there they can fit just about any play style. I have played 3 of the 5 and if you want to know any good tips for them I would be happy to help out.

Kyban
12-04-2012, 12:56 PM
I'll definitely get the new IA:IG book and see how much there is in there.

I've been looking at the Artillery models too and I only see models for the Basilisk, Griffon, and 2 for the Medusa. It looks like the model for the bombard is exactly like the picture of a colossus in the IG codex but there doesn't seem to be a model for it. What do you guys use for the colossus?

Nabterayl
12-04-2012, 02:00 PM
It looks like the model for the bombard is exactly like the picture of a colossus in the IG codex but there doesn't seem to be a model for it. What do you guys use for the colossus?
They're very close, but the Colossus is a big-*** mortar on a Chimera chassis, while the Bombard is bigger-*** mortar on a Leman Russ chassis.

Kyban
12-06-2012, 02:43 PM
They're very close, but the Colossus is a big-*** mortar on a Chimera chassis, while the Bombard is bigger-*** mortar on a Leman Russ chassis.

Oops, didn't notice what chassis it was on, would dropping that mortar on a chimera/artillery chassis work for a colossus or do most people represent them a different way?

Nabterayl
12-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Oops, didn't notice what chassis it was on, would dropping that mortar on a chimera/artillery chassis work for a colossus or do most people represent them a different way?
Well, dropping that mortar on a Chimera chassis is a Colossus. So yeah, I think most people would be fine with that :)