PDA

View Full Version : Maelstorm's Inexpensive Down-Draft Spray Booth

Maelstorm
11-29-2012, 05:08 PM
I've spent some time on-line looking for a suitable spray paint booth that won't break the bank while at the same time protecting the surrounding area from overspray. Nothing I've come across on the web suited my needs or my budget!

I came up with a simple design that allows me to use inexpensive cans of spray primer (Krylon) or my air brush indoors without any overspray and without an over-sized light-blocking hood!

Cost: $20 to $35.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/zz246/bbrine01/20121126_192225.jpg

Here is a link to my how-to article with material list and step by step instructions:http://freshcoast40k.blogspot.com/2012/11/inexpensive-easy-down-draft-spray-paint.html#more

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
That's a lot simpler than what I was designing in my head lol(which involved ducting, and smaller high volume mains cooling fans...)

Looks good.

Maelstorm
11-29-2012, 05:38 PM
It works amazingly well.

As a bonus if you switch the fan to low after you spray - the models dry very-very quickly!

White Tiger88
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Good idea except i suggest no putting anything that gives off heat near that.......... (Those of you that use haligan lights) Iv seen those filters go up in flames pretty easy.

Maelstorm
11-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Halogen lights and and spray paints would be a dangerous combination indeed! I'm sure Darwin has since touched those how have tried...

Bonus #2: Because it does not have a oversized hood hanging above it no extra lights are needed to clearly see the models.

With such a huge volume of air (controllable by speed-dial) the paint is dry almost as soon as it touches the top filter.

Uncle Nutsy
11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
This is only good for filtering out the particles that are in the air. the organic vapours, if you use solvent-based paint are still in the air you're breathing.

Emerald Rose Widow
11-29-2012, 08:22 PM
This is brilliant, and inexpensive way to do this, I am inspired, so need to do this myself. I have been looking for a good way to make a spray booth for my airbrushing, and this is just brilliant.

Maelstorm
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
This is only good for filtering out the particles that are in the air. the organic vapours, if you use solvent-based paint are still in the air you're breathing.

No worries. If you click on the link at the bottom of my how-to article mentions it. Since you missed it, I'll repeat the ghist of it for you here:

If you are sensitive to the fumes you can upgrade the cheap lower 1" filter to a more expensive one. Filtrete has a couple of different ones with Activated Carbon filtration which removes odors such as: pet, smoke, cooking, mildew, and cleaning chemicals. Its up to you and your wallet to decide what you want to get.

I've upgraded mine to a $15 lower filter and have no issues with fumes. The upper layer protects and extends the life of the expensive lower layer significantly!

Uncle Nutsy
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
It's not really sensitivity i'm talking about. I'm talking about the Volatile Organic Compounds in some paints, and a carbon filter just is not sufficient enough to filter it out. Stuff that can do some real damage. It has to be pumped to the outside. But if you don't use any paints with any VOC content, this setup is fine.

Learned that little bit by working at an automotive refinish facility (IE: bodyshop), where we deal with the really nasty stuff.

Maelstorm
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Learned that little bit by working at an automotive refinish facility (IE: bodyshop), where we deal with the really nasty stuff.

I understand completely; 25 years ago I worked as Plant Engineer at a Tier 1 automotive interiors facility (now owned by Lear). We had to clear Title V for Toxic & Noxious fumes from every single press. :p

Maelstorm
02-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Several months of constant use and the system is still going strong, trouble-free. I've added an Airbrush hanger to the right side (I'm right-handed) for convenience.

Caitsidhe
02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Positively brilliant. It is a setup I will certainly try.