PDA

View Full Version : You're given £200 to start an army, which one do you choose and why?

RGilbert26
11-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Evening all, as the title says you're handed £200 and you have to choose a 40k army to start. Which one do you choose and why?

ElectricPaladin
11-29-2012, 01:34 PM
Any of them.

Buy two battleforces (on eBay, so they cost more like $75 to $90, rather than $100+). Then get an HQ box, and maybe one or two other boxes if you have the points. That's enough to get started and have some options, especially if you're clever with your kit-bashing.

Kirsten
11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
probably Orks or nids

ElectricPaladin
11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Oh, wait. You mean ME? Like, personally?

I'd probably start Eldar, but for sentimental reasons. I have a friend whose Eldar have been sitting in my car for years now while I try to sell them for him. I'd probably pass most of the money on to him and just keep 'em. I kind of like Eldar, and I feel sorry that I've had such poor look moving this army. I'd bee able to buy his Eldar and have a little extra to spend a box or two of some newer stuff that didn't exist when my friend started collecting.

Alternately, I'd start an Ally force for one of the armies I already collect. Probably Sisters of Battle or Imperial Guard to act as fire support for my Blood Angels or Exorcists.

OR I'd start Grey Knights. Because $320 goes pretty far when you're playing Grey Knights, and I already own a couple of appropriate models (long story). Plus, they're fluffy allies for my Exorcists.

Cpt Codpiece
11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
necron £150 box plus some preatorians x2, 1 for crypteks the other as shield guys. and (im over budget i know) a box of wraiths.
necrons dont need a ton of work and are now an ok themed army

or the vampire WFB £150 box with blood knights :)
vampires and zombies, dragons and those smexxy lady vamps on coven throne :) whats not to love?

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Khorne Berserkers, lots of them...

RGilbert26
11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
While I did mean 40k codpiece the Vamp box which is now sold out was still available from my local GW, last time I was there.

Originally I was planning on doing a tale of gamers with my local GW Manager, but I'd rather try and buy an army and set targets for me to meet each week. Instead of limiting myself to just a battle force for a month.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-29-2012, 02:58 PM
An all Cataphrachtii "counts as" Deathwing army would be appealing, I pretty much have everything else I like.

Cpt Codpiece
11-29-2012, 02:59 PM
yeah, i figured it was intended as 40k but those vamps are tasty.

for an army built via non army box means..... id probably try to do old inquisition army.....
inquisitor and retinue of warrior henchmen with carapace and hot shots...... a squad of GKs, then have the main force as IG codex trying for inquisition storm troops (is there a hq that adds ST as troops?).

Denzark
11-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Dark Grey Blood Wolf Marines with Necron biker allies.

Wolfshade
11-30-2012, 04:21 AM
If I had to start a nwe one it would be Mech Guard, Baal PDF

Lost Vyper
11-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Dark Eldar allies for my Eldar. Hellions and fliers first and beyond from there...

fuzzbuket
12-01-2012, 05:23 AM
for me id stick with the paladins 3x battle force. and probably either eldar (what i like the battleforce), or tau. and then a few other units (possibly even a toy from FW :D)
---
the cheapest way for a MASSIVE army is 3x DV (off amazon £40 each), convert all the DA to chaos (or have them as fallen) then spend then spend the rest of the £80 on green stuff, paints, basing materials, and possibly a few other units.

3x DV would get you:
60! cultists
18 chosen
30 choas marines
15 termis
3 hellbrutes
3 sorcerors (will need some conversion work)
3 lords
and 3 marine captains to convert!

Learn2Eel
12-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Hmm.

For me, assuming I don't have an army, it would be Chaos Space Marines. Recently released, good codex, quite balanced, nice models, great variety....etc.

spaceman91
12-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Really sorry to be a bore but marines. the £150 box. army done. add some stuff the catches your eyes.

Wildcard
12-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I would go for Tau as a GK detachment. Even better if rumors are true and they are getting MC that packs hell of a long range punch. Converted to GKish looks, that could fit perfectly to my 3x NDK themed list :)

Flying Tigress
12-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Since I'm full-bore PH Emperor's Children at the moment, I'd probably buy one of the FW bundle sets to build a new force for them to crazy fight. Possibly Death Guard.

Actually, scratch that.

Chaos Space Marines, so I could show the Emperor's Kids' gradual descent into madness. I think 150 BPS is around $250 Canadian, so...

Lucius the Eternal
Fabius Bile
Emperor's Children Lord
2x Noise Marine Upgrade Pack
4x Noise Marine Sonic Weapons
2x Chaos Space Marine Squads (converted to NOIZ MEHREENS)

That's pretty much bang on $250 CDN.

It's not a lot, but I have pretty much infinity FW models and vehicles, so meh.

The other option is building my Sisters of Battle. And $250 CDN is like... a canoness and a few Seraphim. Stupid metal.

jgebi
12-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Sisters of battle just because I like how they look (yes in a sexual way) but also their different and have some epic fluff

The Sovereign
12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Chaos Marines. I have a respectable start, with 40 DV cultists, a helbrute, and a sorcerer made from the termie lord box, but I'm waiting to incorporate those into a mid-sized Thousand Sons army. I'd use the £200 toward a heldrake, a mauler fiend, a couple of rhinos, Ahriman, and two squads of TS marines (preferably the rumored upcoming plastic boxed sets).

Flying Tigress
12-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Sisters of battle just because I like how they look (yes in a sexual way) but also their different and have some epic fluff

Nice to see some players jumping onto the Sisters of Battle bandwagon. The more people incorporate them into their existing armies or allies or building new armies out of their (awesome) background, the more likely GW will show them some love.

They are a fun and very different army to play. And Celestine is a boss.