PDA

View Full Version : 40 years of Videogames

DrLove42
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Today seems to be an anniversary that has slipped under the radar

40 years ago today, Pong was released

Arguably the most famous of first releases and the first real game to be released to the public.

So everyone should go home and play Halo, or Hitman, or PLanetside and feel grateful of how massivly far we've come in 40 years

Wildeybeast
11-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Whilst I love new games, there is nothing wrong with old ones. We had an epic Space Invaders duel in the pub the other week and it was the most fun gaming I've had in ages.

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I think the most successful computer game in history is solitaire, people sit at their grands worth of pc playing a game they could play with a 50p deck of cards...

Wildeybeast
11-29-2012, 01:36 PM
You don't have to make the effort of interacting with other people on the computer version though. I consider that a grand well spent.

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
It's solitaire...

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I prefer retro games myself, I find them to be more immersive (ironically). Still love c64, NES and early DOS stuff. Thankfully, retro games are still being made - and often for free too so that saves me money.

Currently playing this :
http://www.thomaswasalone.com/
Well worth the little amount of money it costs.

For me the only "modern" games I've been able to get into were Quake and Call of Cthulhu dark corners of the earth. Of course you don't need to ask why those two are exceptions...they are both full of lovecraft monsters of course.

Wildeybeast
11-29-2012, 05:26 PM
It's solitaire...

Oh that one. I read Solitaire and thought of Hearts for some reason.

Psychosplodge
11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Ah I see the confusion lol

Godless Zealot
11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Happy 40th Birthday video games! Thanks for providing hours of entertainment when I really probably should of been studying, exercising or bettering myself! Started on the c64 when I was a nipper and never looked back. I might indulge in a little nostalgia and watch some c64 longplay videos on Youtube to celebrate!