PDA

View Full Version : Odd Space-Marines List

WarHammerman
11-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I've been tooling around with this list.
I want it to be competitive at a local level - you know, a step above "Friends house"

my local meta doesn't use a lot of fortifications, or conversion beamers - so this is meant to make people a little confused.

2500 pts

HQ:
Vaylund Cal (IA 10) [Warlord]
- I plan to throw him in w/ the Sternguard

Master of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamer

Elite:
x2 Contemptor Pattern Dreadnoughts w/ CCW&Storm Bolter, Heavy Conversion Beamer, Cyclone Missile Launcher, Extra Armour and Targeting Augury

Sternguard Veteran Squad
x6 veterans w/ Combi-Meltas
+ Drop Pod

Troops:
x2 Tactical Squads w/ Meltagun & Missile Launcher
Sarge w/ Combi-Melta
+ Rhino w/ Hunter-Killer Missile & [Free] Extra Armour

Fast:
Land Speeder Tempest Squadron (x3 Speeders)

Heavy:
x2 Devastator Squads w/ Missile Launchers [+FNP from Vaylund]
- I'll try to keep these guys stationed on the Fortress

Fortification
Fortress of Redemption w/ x4 Heavy Bolters, Icarus Lascannon, & Krakstorm Missile Silo

Love to hear thoughts, comments, etc. Anything I can do to make this better is always worth hearing n_n

ElectricPaladin
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I think this list is a good start, but it's all toys and not enough boys. I'd do the following:
• Drop the dreadnoughts, replace them with more tactical squads. I'd say at 2500 you should be running three, maybe even four! You might need to drop the tempests to make this work, too.
• If you think that would reduce your fire power too much, consider making them minimum tac squads and putting them in razorbacks!
• I get wanting to include dreadnoughts - especially in a Sons of Medusa list - but you just need the bodies, and contemptors are hecka expensive. At the very least, try busting them down to less tricked-out conventional dreads. Also, take them as Heavy Support so they can help hold objectives in the relevant missions.

Overall, this list has an extremely strong backfield presence. This is great, but playing Tau has taught me that you can't actually win games with this. As is, your midfield elements - Cal & sternguard, tacs - will be vastly outnumbered and outgunned and end up shot off the board, costing you Slay the Warlord and eliminating your capacity to take objectives. Then, all your opponent needs to do is take the objectives, keep you pinned down in your fortress, and win the game. This is the kind of list it would be very easy to "fail forward" against, taking heavy casualties but ultimately winning the game.

In general terms, what you need to do is somewhat reduce your reliance on the backfield. Those expensive dreads have got to go. You need more objective holders and more mid-ranged firepower to support them. I also think you need a downfield game-changer - hammernators in a land raider are an old favorite in this role - to prevent you from being stuck in the reactive role.