PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut plasticard?

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-26-2012, 11:04 AM
I've been procrastinating with this for a whole year now, that's terrible - but it's mainly because I have no idea how to do it properly and I'm afraid of messing it up.

I need to be able to cut very thick (say 2-3mm thick) plasticard, as well as very precise shapes and I have no idea what tools to use so I'm wondering if the kind folks on BOLS will be able to give me some good advice, recomend any specific tools ect.

As an example, I need to cut all the shapes you see on this :
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/TILE01_Runic_Wall-1.jpg

I have about a dozen of these tile designs I need to make, the size is also roughly similar to how big it should be in real life too. They'll be used to construct walls, floors and ceilings to build the sets for my sci-fi web show.

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
11-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I usually use x-acto knives for plasticard, although for thicker stuff I've used this (http://www.thewarstore.com/product7343.html). It wouldn't be able to cut out the shapes in the middle very well, though. Maybe use a hobby drill to dot guiding holes in the blue patterns, then use an x-acto?

DarkLink
11-26-2012, 11:49 AM
To cut thick stuff takes some work, but it's straightforward. Score it as deeply as you can, preferably on both sides, with a knife, then carefully fold in both directions until you get the pieces to separate. It might take a couple iterations if it's thick.

Asymmetrical Xeno
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Ah, ill do that then, sounds tedious and frustrating but I guess it's gotta be done...shame theres no neat laser cutter tools out there. At least the puppets are done and being produced by Troll forged right now, so ill have my "actors" sometime next year.

inquisitorsog
11-26-2012, 02:30 PM
I assume the blue shapes are cutouts in a rectangle you want?
A saw may be your best bet. I believe Xacto makes a saw blade that fits in a hobby knife handle, you could also possibly use a coping saw or similar. The stiff "razor saws" look like they won't have enough room for you to work because of their back edge support. Also, the very fine toothed saws typical of razor saws may be too slow for you to have your sanity intact by the time you're done.

Otherwise, for interior cutouts, it's keep scoring with a very sharp hobby knife till you get through.
The other thing you can consider doing is use two or more sheets of thinner plasticard that are easier to cut and laminate them together. It may be easier and less time consuming.

Check for companies that work with plastic in your area. You may find a company that can do the job for a reasonable price if you have a budget for this.