PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar allies for Eldar

Lost Vyper
11-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Hi,

Yesterday i played a game, where we proxied things. I had Dark Eldar allies (not a single model in our FLGC), so it was a perfect opportunity to try something fun. i fielded Baron Sathonyx + Hellions as troops and a Voidraven Bomber and Scourges. Plus i don't have the Wraithlord -model, so i i tried that one too. Wraithlord got vaporized pretty quickly with GK-deathstar fire + a Vindicare Assassin Hellfire round, so, not much to tell on that :) . Scourges were dropped on target, behind his transport (GK basic transport) and did 1 glancing hit, with Haywire-blaster, Blaster and a Dark Lance....so quess what happened next round? Correct-a-mundo, total devastation. Baron and his cronies were fun to play and very versatile. I harassed his GK -deathstar and once things went bad, hit&ran, but threw a 1 when trying to take Grandmaster with me (DUH!). I jumped 17 inches and on the next round took down the assassin. They held their own to the turn 4, when i was Linebreaking AND denying his objective, but 2+ invl. save will go only so far, when facing 20-30 shots of basic bolter fire...Bomber was great on the first 2 rounds, Void mine took down 3-5 from his deathstar and couple of missiles did damage to his troops,but...i should have flown out of the board, but it was a first time using a flier, so (DAM-DA-DAM-DAM)...

All and all, iīm thinking delaying my Hornet purchase and thinking of Baron + 10 hellions. Have you used them,if so, do you like the point cost/deliverance?

ps. I don't seem to find the model for the Baron in (at least in Finnish) Games Workshop, is it out of production or something?

pauljc
11-26-2012, 06:30 AM
There hasn't ever been a Baron model. But it would be easy enough to convert with a normal Hellion. Personally, though, I never use Special Characters. More challenging to win with a normal HQ choice, and more fun making heroes/villains with my own stories. :)

Lost Vyper
11-26-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes! Thatīs great news, cos iīm running on low budget here...i had 8 hellions + "exarch" + baron, and it worked well.

Defenestratus
11-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Yes! Thatīs great news, cos iīm running on low budget here...i had 8 hellions + "exarch" + baron, and it worked well.

Do yourself a favor and screw the hellions... if you've not used a flier before, go get you a nightwing.

That one unit will make your opponents loathe and despise you for years.

Lost Vyper
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Sounds tempting :), i like the Hellions, cos they are the jump infantry Eldar are lacking. Hmm, next time we got time to play "just to try something new", i gotta try the Nightwing and see if people actually throw their dice at me...

Defenestratus
11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds tempting :), i like the Hellions, cos they are the jump infantry Eldar are lacking. Hmm, next time we got time to play "just to try something new", i gotta try the Nightwing and see if people actually throw their dice at me...

When you say that you have a standing 5+ cover save, and a 2+ evade save AFTER they need a 6 to hit you (not counting skyfire) then yes - they'll throw dice :P

BatMarine
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Personally, though, I never use Special Characters. More challenging to win with a normal HQ choice, and more fun making heroes/villains with my own stories. :)

I don't think it's an issue of more challenging if you're doing it mostly to get a force org swap......... Though Honestly I wish they would allow certain swaps via surcharge as opposed to Special Characters only...

Uncle Nutsy
11-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I use the baron and hellions. a lot. Let me tell you, when you can get the jump on the other guy they stick like a bloody caltrop in his shoe. I've seen them go almost four turns beating on the enemy before I had to jump out of the mess.

It was pretty funny watching them gank a brood of warriors then slice n dice them to pieces. And since we now have Hammer of Wrath, it's gonna be real fun.

Though I am considering a corsair eldar contingent for my main DE forces. A couple hornets, a warp hunter and maybe a nightwing should make things rather interesting.

Lost Vyper
11-27-2012, 05:16 AM
Don't let me get started on Hornets! Only field one at the moment, but it.is.awesome. BS 4 and 2 x Pulse Laser, thats 4 shots of STR 8 AP 2, say bye bye GK Deathstar...(not that i have done this a couple of times :) )

DrLove42
11-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Corsairs seems a good allies choice

In Craftworld right now it is only FW options that are really any good. And you can take them all with Corsairs witha cheaper HQ