PDA

View Full Version : Howling Banshee Triskele, alternate CC weapon?

Sanguineone
11-25-2012, 05:32 AM
Having just picked up a new 'old' metal Jain Zar model for a trip down memory lane (I painted her at about age 9) I decided that the Eldar would be added to the growing list of allies for my Blood Angels force.
So I dusted off the old codex and dutifully checked the 1.1 FAQ and came up with the following question.

Since it states in the codex a triskele can be used as a power weapon or a throwing weapon, when used in Close Combat what AP value does it have?

With the new rules for power weapons and AP values stating something can be used as a power weapon is a little more complicated these days.
The stats for a thrown Triskele can cut through terminator 2+ Sv, so does it have the same Ap when used as a CC weapon allowing the likes of Jain Zar to chose either a weapon with a higher Ap or a higher strength (executioner)?

Learn2Eel
11-25-2012, 06:01 AM
That is a very good question.
Usually it would be a simple case of looking at how the shape of the power weapon interacts with the rulebook, but it really isn't defined.
It doesn't even count as unusual per the rules as it is only treated as a power weapon in close combat.

Personally, I think I would treat it as a power sword - power swords can be modeled as daggers, and that is really the closest you can get to something like the triskele.
However, that is just my opinion.

Sanguineone
11-25-2012, 06:23 AM
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

As a contrast I thought I would look at other weapons that have the option to be thrown to see if their stat line changed and I've just stumbled across Arjac Rockfist's Foehammer. When thrown it becomes Ap 1, does this mean that it is always Ap 1 or does it remain Ap 2 like other thunder hammers when in assault?
Anyone name any other weapons that can be thrown or used hand to hand?

Learn2Eel
11-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Arjac's Hammer is AP1 only when thrown, otherwise it is treated as a normal thunder hammer in assault.

Singing Spears can also be thrown, they are AP6 when thrown and AP- in close combat.

The theme you can see is that the weapon tends to have one less AP when used in combat, i.e. Arjac's hammer is AP1 when thrown but AP2 in combat. Whilst it doesn't really have any bearing on what ruling you should take, it is something to consider.

Sanguineone
11-25-2012, 07:00 AM
A very good point.........
I noticed that Banshee models with axes instead treat those as a stylised executioner at an additional 10 points as per the 1.1 FAQ. Now bearing in mind that I have yet to field an Eldar force I think is a little unfair but in keeping with their high initiative value.
I remember the days when a banshee squad was something to be weary of if you fielded terminators.
So, I think if I was playing against an Eldar player I would allow the higher AP and potentially wipe out a squad with combined shooting and attacks, add to that character and it becomes messy.
However, when using them as my Allies I'll ask their opinion or ask if they'll agree to a roll off as I'm 51/50 on it.
I do think it would add more depth to an Eldar list though.

Learn2Eel
11-25-2012, 07:11 AM
To be fair if Banshees all had power axes striking at I10 they would be very, very nasty. Three attacks each on the charge at WS4 S4 AP2 I10 for the cost of a Space Marine? :eek: Ultimately though, it doesn't make too much of a difference when their major issue is getting into combat in the first place in 6th Ed.
I can't wait for the new Eldar codex so that all of the Aspects can be made viable again.
Also, can they please have Assault Transports? It would make Banshees and a couple of other units so much better.

Sanguineone
11-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Wasn't it the exarch model with the axe? I'm thinking pre plastic! Oops Lol Hopefully when they do it again it'll be with more wargear options. Give them a comparable number of options to a Sergeant.
A small lightly armed vehicle with a webway portal immiter would be a treat. Even some kind of drone would be good. But we'll have to wait and see.

DrLove42
11-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Its just classed an "unusual" power weapon like a DE Agoniser. Thrown AP2. In combat AP3.

Think of it like a boomerang. Thrown properly they are very dangerous. less so clubbing someone with it in close proximity

Nabterayl
11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Its just classed an "unusual" power weapon like a DE Agoniser. Thrown AP2. In combat AP3.

Think of it like a boomerang. Thrown properly they are very dangerous. less so clubbing someone with it in close proximity
Just so.

Sainhann
11-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Wasn't it the exarch model with the axe? I'm thinking pre plastic! Oops Lol Hopefully when they do it again it'll be with more wargear options. Give them a comparable number of options to a Sergeant.
A small lightly armed vehicle with a webway portal immiter would be a treat. Even some kind of drone would be good. But we'll have to wait and see.

Yup a long wait. But yes it was the old 2nd Edition Banshee Exarch that had the Power Axe which can make her a decent killing machine with the AP 2 very high Initiative.

But what I want for the Eldar is the Guardians getting back the additional 12" that GW took from them for their S. Catapults.