PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point High Elves - Nagarythe Experiment

Calathean
11-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I have been doing a little research with the rules recently as I have always had my eye on making a Nagarythe themed army. I love Alith Anar and I tend to find that Shadow and Death magic at low levels can just be fun rather than over powered. So when I found that if characters are deployed in units of scouts they take on the scouts special rules I knew now was my chance to try out my Shadow Warrior army, so here it is courtesy of Quartermaster =)

Lords - 492 Points
Alith Anar
High Elf Prince
(Bow of the Seafarer, Armour of Caledor, Great Weapon) - Going to use the Wood Elf Highborn with Great Weapon model for this

Heroes - 479 Points
Mage
(Level 2 Shadows, Seerstaff of Saphery) Choosing Okkam's Mindrazor and Enfeebling Foe (Making my S higher and their S Lower - Less Wounds more damage)
Mage
(Level 2 Death, Loremaster's Cloak) He gives the entire unit a 2+ Ward Save against spells
Noble
(Sacred Incense, Great Weapon, Dragon Armour, Longbow) Another -1 to Hit with Shooting

Core - 514 Points
22 Archers
(Musician, S-bearer)
22 Archers
(Musician, S-Bearer)

Special - 514 Points
14 White Lions of Chrace
(Command, Banner of Sorcery) Something to make them think about, 14 S6 Attacks is still quite scary, or if they go for Shadow Warriors then they will storm across the field and pound flanks and rear.
14 Shadow Warriors
(This unit will be where all my characters go and will deploy as scouts with all the characters in this unit. Being scouts they offer an additional -1 to hit from shooting.)

So basically at Long Range the shadow warriors are -4 to hit from shooting which brilliant with -3 at CR, they then have a 2+ Ward Save against all wounds caused by spells apart from bomb spells like Dwellers. They are also hiding 2 portable bolt throwers in terms of the Prince and Alith Anar, backed up by Shadow and Death magic.

Hope you like the idea guys, bearing in mind the theme for my army, any suggestions?

Chronowraith
11-25-2012, 12:38 AM
So when I found that if characters are deployed in units of scouts they take on the scouts special rules I knew now was my chance to try out my Shadow Warrior army,

I don't think this is the case since characters have to deploy before any Scouts. Alith Anar is an anomaly because he himself has the scout rule. Curious, but is this listed in the FAQ? Going by the rulebook it seems pretty clear that non-scout characters deploy first and then any scouting units. There is also another line in teh rulebook if I'm not mistaken about characters being deployed in the deployment zone.

I tend to find that Shadow and Death magic at low levels can just be fun rather than over powered.

Agreed. Shadow Magic is one of the best lores in the game. Miasma is a fantastic basic spell and obviously Mindrazor is fantastic for dealing with high T and high Armor targets.

wellweee
12-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think this is the case since characters have to deploy before any Scouts. Alith Anar is an anomaly because he himself has the scout rule. Curious, but is this listed in the FAQ? Going by the rulebook it seems pretty clear that non-scout characters deploy first and then any scouting units. There is also another line in teh rulebook if I'm not mistaken about characters being deployed in the deployment zone.

Doesn't need a FAQ. Pg 100 of the rulebook (under the special rules subsection), states that a character does not gain the special rules of a unit (and vice versa), so he cannot deploy as a scout unless he has the rule himself.

Chronowraith
12-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm very well acquainted with the rule that characters do not inherit the special rules of a unit.

That is why I was asking if it appeared in a FAQ (for either the BRB or the HE army book)... since a FAQ for either Alith Anar or the basic rulebook would trump the rules already listed on page 100.

wellweee
12-08-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm very well acquainted with the rule that characters do not inherit the special rules of a unit.

That is why I was asking if it appeared in a FAQ (for either the BRB or the HE army book)... since a FAQ for either Alith Anar or the basic rulebook would trump the rules already listed on page 100.

Well Alith Anar has the scout rule, so it doesn't affect him, as to other characters, the book makes it quite clear, and without quoting an entire paragraph, it's a no. If you feel like it, read the section on Pg 100, it makes it very clear, and their is nothing in the FAQ to change it.